Re: [TexasCzechs] Is anyone out there?

  • Steve Alvarez
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 12, 2000
      Those two books sound interesting.  But I am learning if you don't buy a genealogy book when it first comes out. It is diffcult if not impossible to get later.  So my advise is, if you see it, buy it.  I am a fairly newbie (2 years) and I have seen and heard of books for the  area I am researching.  But they are no longer in print.

      God Bless
      Steve

      Alvarez@...
      Zaruba, Lastovica, Pavlicek
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 12, 2000
        RE: [TexasCzechs] Is anyone out there?

        And they all said "Amen."

        It's the stories from folks like Susan who keep us all entertained and at the same time educate us some more about our wonderful Czech heritage.  These are the stories that we need to preserve and should be preserving for years to come.  I continue to add them to my computer files and hard copies so we, as CHS, can publish them at some future date.

        Richard Kotrla

          ----------
          Some us stay silence during your discussion of Czech History and Culture only because we have a limited knowledge of such things.  But I look at your discussion as a learning experience not a boring one.

          God Bless
          Steve

          Alvarez@...
          Zaruba, Lastovica, Pavlicek

[...]

            _____

            _____

            _____

          http://click.egroups.com/1/5276/7/_/911115/_/960739651/

           http://adimg.egroups.com/img/5276/7/_/911115/_/960739651/468mcsearch.gif

            _____

      • Kotrla RJ (Richard)
        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 12, 2000
          RE: [TexasCzechs] Is anyone out there?

          Steve and other CzechListers:

          My take on this is because of  our deep commitment to our faith and God.

          I am not Catholic, with my ancestors being called "Evangels" and were active in promoting Protestantism and the beliefs of Jan Hus.

          We, as Czechs, have always had and continue to have strong religious beliefs.

          Our ancestors, as we do today, depend on our God to get through the tough times and the good times.  And we as a people, have had and continue to have both.

          Richard K.

            ----------
          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 12, 2000
            RE: [TexasCzechs] Is anyone out there?
            R. J. Kotrla:

            I do not have your personal e-mail address so will briefly state my message.

            My grandfather, Thomas Martinets, was raised in the Moravian Brethren faith, and I would greatly appreciate any information on where members of this church now meet -- or to what other Protestant faiths that they find follow similar beliefs.  I am going to the Granger area this weekend to begin a personal search on my maternal ancestry.  I have been following this site for several months and I appreciate the "news" I have received.  I would really like to go to the conference in Bryan, but am not sure if it would work into my schedule this year  -- the talk on the Moravian Brethren church to be presented caught my eye.

            Thank you, Jo Ann (Polasek) Sewell

            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 12, 2000
              RE: [TexasCzechs] Is anyone out there?

              JoAnn:

              My two personal e-mails are kotrlarj@... and kotrlarj@.... Write to one and "cc" to the other as I work shift work and don't want to miss anyone's messages.

              My first question to you, and others that my have information:  Is Martinets the same as Martinek.  I have relatives that are Martinek, or perhaps I am just misspelling it.  Perhaps it is Martinets.  They are from the Ellinger and Fayetteville areas.

              Lets me just share what I know personally about the CMB.

              I was born and raised in the CMB, now the Unity of the Brethren.  I grew up in the church in Caldwell.

              My recollection of the history, and there is a book out that was published years ago by the Christian Sisters of that church called the "The History of the Unity of the Brethren Church."  Our roots come from the beliefs of Jan Hus.

              I will locate my book, and I also know that Robert Janak published an article on the church's history and it was e-mailed by someone earlier, and possibly it can be put on the list again.

              The churches are still alive and well throughout Texas.

              I married into the Baptist Church, and but still am proud of my CMB heritage.

              The church in Granger is still alive and well and I have many Kotrla kin in and around Taylor and Granger.

              The building is very historical and unique and you should try to go see it.

              While in college, for two or three summers, I was a summer minister, and preached at many of these churches while their pastors were on vacation.

              Many of the church records are kept at the individual churches, but there are lots of other informations out there on the church.

              I have some of it at home, and will try to share.

              There are others, like Jackie Marek and others who can be of greater help, and hopefully, they will join in this discussion.

              Richard

                ----------
[...]

                http://click.egroups.com/1/5276/7/_/911115/_/960827108/

                 http://adimg.egroups.com/img/5276/7/_/911115/_/960827108/468mcsearch.gif

                  _____

            • Kotrla RJ (Richard)
              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 12, 2000
                There are definitely similarities in the culture, the heritage and the
                history.

                But I suspect there might be more than one Czech who will challenge you on
                who can party better, the Czechs or the Poles. I suspect it would be a
                pretty even contest, if we held one.

                ----------
                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 12, 2000
                  I would also like to recommend "Czech Pioneers of the Southwest" by Estelle
                  Hudson in collaberation with Henry R. Maresh. It is a wonderful reference. I
                  believe that it was originally written around the 1930's from interviews with
                  some of the original pioneers. It has come back into print and is available at a
                  reasonable cost in paperback. Happy reading! Nancy Sugarek
                • Richard Garza
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 12, 2000
                    Hi Jo Ann,
                    In my copy of the Brethren Journal Aug. 1999 Granger Brethren Church
                    shown as having services at 9 every Sunday. Rev. Albert Michalik shown
                    as 512-352-6870 (Taylor address).
                    A few years ago the Czech Heritage Society of Texas placed copies of
                    Rev. Frank Horak's funeral and baptismal records with most of the Unity
                    of the Brethren Churches in Texas. The secretary or pastor for the
                    individual churches may be able to help. Thanks in great part to
                    volunteers like Jackie Marek and others, this was made possible.
                    Good luck
                    Rick Garza
                    P.S. there was a Martinets, Lillian Rosa born 9 Jul 1926 in Taylor and
                    lived in Holland, TX. Any kin of yours?

                    Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
                    http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
                  • Kotrla RJ (Richard)
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 12, 2000
                      JoAnn and others.

                      The Unity of the Brethren has a website, which I will try to look up, and
                      share the address with you, or someone may have handy sooner.

                      Richard

                      ----------

                      <mailto:texasczechs@egroups.com>
                      > Subject: Re: [TexasCzechs] Is anyone out there?
                      >
                      > Hi
                      >
                      > Has anyone noticed how many of the Czech people become
                      Nuns or
                      > Priest. I have several in my families past and present.
                      >

                      > Just an observation
                      > God Bless
                      > Steve
                      >
                      > Alvarez@... <mailto:Alvarez@...>
                      > Zaruba, Lastovica, Pavlicek

                      -----

                      Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
                      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj <http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj> .

                      Free @Backup service! Click here for your free trial of @Backup.
                      @Backup is the most convenient way to securely protect and access
                      your files online. Try it now and receive 300 MyPoints.
                      http://click.egroups.com/1/4935/7/_/911115/_/960834441/

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 12, 2000
                        I have to believe many of our ancestors are smiling real big when they look
                        down and see what are happening with CHS and this listserve.

                        They are surely proud of all of our efforts to preserve our heritage and
                        culture.

                        Richard

                        ----------
                        I for one am grateful for your stories. When reading about the
                        struggles of our ancestors it keeps me humble and thankful for the
                        technolgies we have today. This was history in the making. And wouldn't our
                        ancestors be proud to know we haven't forgotten them?
                        Evelyn (Makovec0 Lancour

                        http://click.egroups.com/1/5276/7/_/911115/_/960740380/
                        <http://click.egroups.com/1/5276/7/_/911115/_/960740380/>

                        http://adimg.egroups.com/img/5276/7/_/911115/_/960740380/468mcsearch.gif

                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 12, 2000
                          RE: [TexasCzechs] Is anyone out there?

                          This is true, Gerri.

                          I know my great-grandfather on my mother's side came over at the age of 28, worked for a few years and the rest of the family followed.  On my father's side, my grandfather came over, and a few years later his grandmother came over, and she was quite up in years.  But she wanted to spend the last of years with her family in America.

                            ----------
                            Those are really great questions and I, also,  would like to have
                            answers to them.

                             I have heard that frequently when families or individuals came over,
                            they came because other members of their family were already here and
                            had sent message back home of how much some of the areas reminded them
                            of Moravia, etc.

                            Gilbert Bohuslav wrote:

                            > One of the things that has always had my interest is "traveling by
                            > ship" to America.  My relatives came from Bremen, Germany.
                            > Information like:
                            >     1) How did they get from Moravia to Bremen?
                            >     2) How did they make those arrangements?
                            >     3) What procedure did they have to go through to get permission to
                            >
                            >         come to America?
                            >     4) How long did it take and what was the ship/travel like?
                            >     5) When they arrived at their port, how did they get from there to
                            > where
                            >         they were going?  In fact, how did they know where they were
                            > going?
                            >
                            > These are questions that intrigue me and I would love to see someone
                            > discuss these in greater detail.
                            >
                            > Gilbert Bohuslav
                            >

                            > Susan Rektorik Henley wrote:
                            >
                            >> <Each day when I return home from the office, I can't wait to get to
                            >> the email and see what's there.> Gerri, I was glad to hear that you
                            >> are still interested in the list! Richard, now that you are back,
                            >> perhaps, we can figure out a little more closely what people want to
                            >> read.  I know we can cover a wide variety of topics and cover a
                            >> broad span of interests; however, when I am almost the only one
                            >> sending mail...my stories...one begins to wonder what folks really
                            >> want to hear. For instance, Rick Garza and I held a extended
                            >> discussion on the settlement patterns of the Texas Czechs (including
                            >> the role of pro- and anti-sesession counties), and the importance of
                            >> the blackland prairies (including a second migration).  At the time
                            >> we were doing this, I thought, "Boy, would l like to hear other
                            >> views and information on this.  I'd like to share it with the list"
                            >> However, since there has been so little traffic, the discussion
                            >> stayed between Richard and myself. Another thing which I did think
                            >> about, should this type of discussion go to the list, is ensuring
                            >> that proper credit to the sources used to support the positions.
                            >> Authors always are due and deserve recognition. Anyway...in the end,
                            >> I figured this discussion would just send people off yawning. It
                            >> would help to know what people are interested in.  I really don't
                            >> wish to torture or at least bore folks. Susan Rektorik Henley
                            >
                            ><<Message: %s>>

                        • G. Martisek
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 12, 2000
                            Jo Ann,

                            There is still an active congregation of Czech moravian Bretheran in Vsetin just outside Hallettsville, TX..   I do not know what kind of info, if any that they might have, but it would be worth a try to contact them.

                            Also, some of the early books by Albert Blaha briefly mention them.