Re: [TexasCzechs] Kolaches, Beer, and Dancing --Celebration

  • darlenbaker@cs.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 31, 2001
      Good Luck Becky!!

      And my gma used to say that saying too.   When things seemed to be going kind
      of rough or something.
      darlene

      In a message dated 01/31/2001 3:16:15 PM Central Standard Time,
      BecMeinzer@... writes:

      Well, I thought I'd let you know what was going on.  I know I won't be
      posting again for a while, after the 10th maybe, if I'm still alive. I'm
      pulling my hair out trying to get everything done.  As my Granny Kutach
      used
      to say in Czech, "Yeah die netchkey" (That is a close phonetic spelling )
      Has anyone heard something like that expression before?  She would sigh,
      say
      that expression, and then shake her head back and forth.  I always thought
      it
      was something like "have mercy".  I need more than mercy, I need prayers.
      Anyway, I hope I've added some fuel to the fire on kolaches, beer, dancing,
      etc...
      Becky Meinzer
      becmeinzer@...

    • Lois Petter Pereira
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 31, 2001
        Good luck, been there done that. All I can say is just enjoy the day because you will have so much fun and when it's over you will feel like a weight is lifted. The wedding sounds wonderful and I hope your daughter is appreciative because that is a lot of thought and planning that has gone into this affair. Let your daughter know how much time, trouble and of course money has gone into this affair to make her day super special and while she is in Cz she needs to do some research for you and then you will be even :>
        Best Wishes to your family on the big day..........lois
        ps if I were close to Dallas I would be there with bells on.

        BecMeinzer@... wrote:

        I haven't posted to the list in a while because I'm in the middle of getting
        all the arrangements done for my daughter's wedding in 10 days. But I thought
        I would let you know this Saturday, Feb. 3, we are making Kolaches for over
        400 guests.  Anyone who wants to pitch in and help is welcome.  We are having
        a Czech-German Wedding in Dallas on Saturday, February 10.
        My daughter Tracey and her fiancee, Jared Filbeck, are getting married  at 2
        pm at St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Church.  We are then having the reception
        at the Dallas Horticulture Center.  We are going to pin a "rosemarina" on all
        wedding guests.  We are having Shiner Bock beer, as well as, other beers and
        wine.  The topper of the wedding cake is a beautiful Austrian Swarosky
        crystal piece of 2 swans on a mirror with a red crystal heart between them.
        To make sure we maintain the TexasCzech culture, we also have a Crystal Texas
        Longhorn paperweight on the groom's cake since he's a true UT alumni. I am
        also using a lot of my Czech crystal on the sign in table, and cake tables.
        At 5 PM, Michna's from Waco is catering the wedding with Czech sausage (my
        husband's cousin, Ronnie Pustejovsky who owns the Ole Czech Smokehouse and
        Bakery in West, supplies Michna's with the sausage), beef, hot German
        buttered potatoes, sauerkraut, beans, and best of all, fresh baked bread.  At
        7:30, my cousin from Ennis, Danny Zapletal, and his band "Czech and Then
        Some" will begin playing the Wedding March which will be lead by our cousins,
        Gary and Betsy (Janda) Pustejovsky.  Then the polkas, waltzes, and Texas
        two-steps begin for the evening.  Hopefully, by one or two the next morning
        I'll collapse in bed from exhaustion.  Does this celebration sound at all
        familiar to any TexasCzech listers out there?  If you are in the Dallas area,
        you might want to come by on the 10th and help us all celebrate.
        By the way, Tracey and Jared are leaving 10 days after the wedding to spend 5
        months in Innsbruck, Austria where Tracy will be studying abroad for a
        semester while working on her Masters Degree in Architecture.  Jared, who is
        an architect also will be working for his company F&S Architects on a laptop
        they have provided him for the five months.  Although Jared says he will be
        skiing most of the time.  Tracey will be doing  a photography independent
        study on Prague and its architecture as worked out with one of professors.
        She is also doing a historical independent study on architecture, as well as,
        one class at the University in Innsbruck.  Not bad -- a 5 month honeymoon in
        Austria, the Czech Republic, Germany, etc...  By the way, it also helps that
        Jared is fluent in German.
        Well, I thought I'd let you know what was going on.  I know I won't be
        posting again for a while, after the 10th maybe, if I'm still alive. I'm
        pulling my hair out trying to get everything done.  As my Granny Kutach used
        to say in Czech, "Yeah die netchkey" (That is a close phonetic spelling )
        Has anyone heard something like that expression before?  She would sigh, say
        that expression, and then shake her head back and forth.  I always thought it
        was something like "have mercy".  I need more than mercy, I need prayers.
        Anyway, I hope I've added some fuel to the fire on kolaches, beer, dancing,
        etc...
        Becky Meinzer
        becmeinzer@...
        Surnames:  KUTACH, NOVOBILSKY, MUEHLSTEIN,
        MIKES, HAVEL, KOLAR, SULAK, MEINZER,
        PUSTEJOVSKY, MERKA, TSCHOWDL

        Lois Petter Pereira
        Researching Ahlhorn, Bokemeyer, Brdusik, Bruntrig, Cordes, Filges, Francis, Garney, Gebauer, Hadac, Hadash, Halla, Hauser, Hoelschel, Kaskie, Maciejeski, Manak, Nauger, Ollre, Orsag, Orsak, Otjen, Papiz, Pavlik, Pereira, Petter, Polasek, Pratka, Psencik, Rada, Rohan, Sablatura, Schaub, Schroeder, Slovack, Susil, Tiemann, Urban, Weiser.

      • Wendy and Greg
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 31, 2001
          Best wishes to the happy couple....GO HORNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Sounds like a wonderful wedding.

          Wendy (UT BS 93, MA 95) and Greg (UT BBA 90, MBA 95) Wittenbrook
          wengreg@...

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2001
            Hi Becky - Sounds like youll will have a wonderful time! Czech and Then Some is a good group. Yes, the jeadanecky term was used frequently in my family too. I would guess it kind of means oh,my goodness. My mom always says 'yay, yay' too, which seems to mean she is kind of unhappy with what she heard or something like that. It's funny, when you try to translate it to English, it does not seem to have the same effect. Have a great time! Best wishes to the young couple too! Julie Herzik Matus

            From: BecMeinzer@...
            Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 15:45:15 EST

> [...]
            >Austria, the Czech Republic, Germany, etc... By the way, it also helps that
            >Jared is fluent in German.
            >Well, I thought I'd let you know what was going on. I know I won't be
            >posting again for a while, after the 10th maybe, if I'm still alive. I'm
            >pulling my hair out trying to get everything done. As my Granny Kutach used
            >to say in Czech, "Yeah die netchkey" (That is a close phonetic spelling )
            >Has anyone heard something like that expression before? She would sigh, say
            >that expression, and then shake her head back and forth. I always thought it
            >was something like "have mercy". I need more than mercy, I need prayers.
            >Anyway, I hope I've added some fuel to the fire on kolaches, beer, dancing,
            >etc...
            >Becky Meinzer
            >becmeinzer@...
            >Surnames: KUTACH, NOVOBILSKY, MUEHLSTEIN,

            Researching:
            Herzik, Korenek, Toman, Dybala, Matus, Kubala, Grossman, Krenek
            --
          • maryadonf@worldnet.att.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 22, 2001
              Becky
              I just saw your daughter's picture in the West News. She made a
              beautiful bride. I'm sure you are real proud of her. If you would
              like the write up from the West news send me your snail address and
              I'll be have to send up the write-up.
              Mary Holy
              maryadonf@...