Re: [TexasCzechs] Kolaches, Beer, and Dancing --Celebration

  • Willie Petruy
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 31, 2001
      Becky:

      I have heard the expression you mentioned. My mother used it. I have
      heard it also during visits in the Czech Republic in recent years. I do not
      know the definition. I am guessing something like Oh my goodness or
      something like that. Hope all gooes well with your daugters wedding. I was
      born and raised in Ennis, Texas.

      Willie Petruy
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 31, 2001
        Good Luck Becky!!

        And my gma used to say that saying too.   When things seemed to be going kind
        of rough or something.
        darlene

        In a message dated 01/31/2001 3:16:15 PM Central Standard Time,
        BecMeinzer@... writes:

        Well, I thought I'd let you know what was going on.  I know I won't be
        posting again for a while, after the 10th maybe, if I'm still alive. I'm
        pulling my hair out trying to get everything done.  As my Granny Kutach
        used
        to say in Czech, "Yeah die netchkey" (That is a close phonetic spelling )
        Has anyone heard something like that expression before?  She would sigh,
        say
        that expression, and then shake her head back and forth.  I always thought
        it
        was something like "have mercy".  I need more than mercy, I need prayers.
        Anyway, I hope I've added some fuel to the fire on kolaches, beer, dancing,
        etc...
        Becky Meinzer
        becmeinzer@...

      • Lois Petter Pereira
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 31, 2001
          Good luck, been there done that. All I can say is just enjoy the day because you will have so much fun and when it's over you will feel like a weight is lifted. The wedding sounds wonderful and I hope your daughter is appreciative because that is a lot of thought and planning that has gone into this affair. Let your daughter know how much time, trouble and of course money has gone into this affair to make her day super special and while she is in Cz she needs to do some research for you and then you will be even :>
          Best Wishes to your family on the big day..........lois
          ps if I were close to Dallas I would be there with bells on.

          BecMeinzer@... wrote:

[...]

          Lois Petter Pereira
          Researching Ahlhorn, Bokemeyer, Brdusik, Bruntrig, Cordes, Filges, Francis, Garney, Gebauer, Hadac, Hadash, Halla, Hauser, Hoelschel, Kaskie, Maciejeski, Manak, Nauger, Ollre, Orsag, Orsak, Otjen, Papiz, Pavlik, Pereira, Petter, Polasek, Pratka, Psencik, Rada, Rohan, Sablatura, Schaub, Schroeder, Slovack, Susil, Tiemann, Urban, Weiser.

        • Wendy and Greg
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 31, 2001
            Best wishes to the happy couple....GO HORNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Sounds like a wonderful wedding.

            Wendy (UT BS 93, MA 95) and Greg (UT BBA 90, MBA 95) Wittenbrook
            wengreg@...

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2001
              Hi Becky - Sounds like youll will have a wonderful time! Czech and Then Some is a good group. Yes, the jeadanecky term was used frequently in my family too. I would guess it kind of means oh,my goodness. My mom always says 'yay, yay' too, which seems to mean she is kind of unhappy with what she heard or something like that. It's funny, when you try to translate it to English, it does not seem to have the same effect. Have a great time! Best wishes to the young couple too! Julie Herzik Matus

              From: BecMeinzer@...
              Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 15:45:15 EST

> [...]
              >Austria, the Czech Republic, Germany, etc... By the way, it also helps that
              >Jared is fluent in German.
              >Well, I thought I'd let you know what was going on. I know I won't be
              >posting again for a while, after the 10th maybe, if I'm still alive. I'm
              >pulling my hair out trying to get everything done. As my Granny Kutach used
              >to say in Czech, "Yeah die netchkey" (That is a close phonetic spelling )
              >Has anyone heard something like that expression before? She would sigh, say
              >that expression, and then shake her head back and forth. I always thought it
              >was something like "have mercy". I need more than mercy, I need prayers.
              >Anyway, I hope I've added some fuel to the fire on kolaches, beer, dancing,
              >etc...
              >Becky Meinzer
              >becmeinzer@...
              >Surnames: KUTACH, NOVOBILSKY, MUEHLSTEIN,

              Researching:
              Herzik, Korenek, Toman, Dybala, Matus, Kubala, Grossman, Krenek
              --
            • maryadonf@worldnet.att.net
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 22, 2001
                Becky
                I just saw your daughter's picture in the West News. She made a
                beautiful bride. I'm sure you are real proud of her. If you would
                like the write up from the West news send me your snail address and
                I'll be have to send up the write-up.
                Mary Holy
                maryadonf@...