OBIT: Sister M. Dorothy Susil

  • Ray J. Bacak
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2009
      Susil, Sister M. Dorothy
       View/Sign Guest Book

      SISTER M. DOROTHY SUSIL

      VICTORIA - Sister M. Dorothy Susil, 93, of Victoria, died Saturday, June 27, 2009. She was born Oct. 17, 1915, in Ellinger, to the late Charles and agnes Manak Susil. She was a Catholic and a member of the Sisters of the Incarnate Word and Blessed Sacrement.
      Sister received her elementary education at Santa Anna School near Ellinger, St. Mary's School at Hostyn, and Lawson Public School in Wharton County. She completed part of her high school education at Lawson Public High School and received her diploma from St. Ludmila Academy in Shiner. Sister entered St. Ludmila Convent as a postulant on Sept. 13, 1930 and became a novice of the Sisters of the Incarnate Word and Blessed Sacrament on June 30, 1931. She made her first profession of vows at St. Ludmila Convent on July 4, 1932 and pronounced her final vows on Sept. 5, 1937. Sister Dorothy earned a B.A. degree with a major in English and a minor in Spanish from Incarnate Word College in San Antonio. She received a M Ed. degree with a major in Administration from Our Lady of the Lake College. She was awarded Texas Teacher Certificates on the Elementary and High School levels and in Administration. Sister Dorothy ministered as a teacher-principal in St. Ludmila Academy in Shiner, Holy Trinity School in Corn Hill, Nada Public School, Holy Trinity School in Duquesne, Pa., St. John Public School near Schulenburg, Marak Public School near Cameron, Sacred Heart School in Floresville, St. Agnes School in San Antonio, Hostyn Public School near La Grange, Praha Public School, Blessed Sacrament Academy in San Antonio, Sealy Public School, and Immaculate Conception School in Sealy. Sister also ministered as teacher and/or coordinator of the CCD Programs in Immaculate Parish in Sealy, St. Mary Parish in Praha, St. Joseph Parish in Moulton, Sacred Heart Parish in Flatonia, Holy Cross Parish in East Bernard, St. Basil Parish in Angelton, and Our Lady of Lourdes and Our Lady of Victory Parishes in Victoria. When Sister Dorothy retired to Incarnate Word Convent in 1989, she assisted in household duties and taught piano lessons to many young students until this past year when her health began failing.
      Sister Dorothy is survived by her sister, Olga Jankowiak of Houston and beloved nieces and nephews.
      She was preceded in death by her parents; sisters, Bohumila Sula, Hedwig Becak and Mildred Beran; and brothers, Anthony Susil and Charles Susil.

      A rosary will be recited at 3:30 p.m. on Tuesday, June 30, 2009, at Incarnate Word Convent. A wake service with evening praise and sharing of memories will be held at the convent at 6:30 p.m. on June 30. Funeral Services will be held at 10 a.m. at the convent on Wednesday, July 1, 2009 with Rev. Donald Hayden O.S.S.T., convent chaplain, presiding. Burial will follow at Catholic Cemetery No. 3.  Pallbearers will be family members: Tony Beran, Michael Susil, Jim Sula, George Petter, John Walla, John Susil and Charlie Becak.
      Memorials may be made to Incarnate Word Convent, Hospice of South Texas, or donor's choice.
      Colonial Funeral Home 1801 E. Red River, Victoria is in charge of arrangements.

      Published in the Victoria Advocate on 6/30/2009
    • Matt Cross
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 30, 2009
        Lois, my condolences on your aunt's passing. Trust that she lived a long and rewarding life.

        Matt Cross
        lennonluv@...

        To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com
        From: rjbacak@...
        Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 08:05:57 -0500
        Subject: [TexasCzechs] OBIT: Sister M. Dorothy Susil

[...]

      • Lois Petter Pereira
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 30, 2009
          Thanks so much. I just signed her book and am amazed at all the different schools she taught at. When she took care of my Grandma Agnes Manak Susil in Sealy she was also involved in all those different things there too. She was truly an amazing woman. It was up to me and my husband to pick her up from and to the bus stations for many years so I am blessed with all the stories she told me over the years. ...lois

          Lois Petter Pereira

          lennonluv@hotmail. com

          To: TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com