Traverling by ship

  • FMikula@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 11, 2000
      hey group,

      in his 1934 work "The Czech Pioneers of the Southwest", Dr Henry Maresh
      refers to the writings of Mary Austin Holly, cousin of Stephen F. Austin. She
      wrote one of the first books ever printed in English about Texas, which she
      classified as "Terra Incognito", the unknown land. Most libraries have copies
      of her writings but can only be viewed in the library as they are quite rare.
      I went to the Dallas library Texana section to review them. Altho not
      specifically referencing the czechs, there is an excellent account of a trip
      from New Orleans to the outlet of the Brazos river and then the trip up the
      Brazos River circa 1833/35. Gives an excellent protrayal of what our
      ancestors faced when they came by ship to the Texas Coast.
      Don't remember the exact name of the book; just ask for wrinings of Mary
      Austin Holly.
      Hope this helps someone!
      Frank