Houston artist brings Schulenberg dance hall back to life

  • Matt Cross
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2009
      I thought some people here might be interested in the article linked below:

      http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/features/6451102.html

      Matt Cross
      lennonluv@...

      HotmailĀ® has a new way to see what's up with your friends. Check it out.
    • Denis Muras
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2009
        It is great that someone is keeping the old building in town intact. I remember that building as the old Western Auto Store. I wonder if they found any items from the old store as well.

        I just hope that someone could restore the other older buildings in town as well. The old clothing store. There was a building that was a Dry Goods store that was converted into the Upstairs at the Downstairs, a local bar and pool hall. There used to be a bar west across the street that I remember as being segregated, one side for white and the other for blacks, it no longer stand. The hardware store at the west end of North Main.

        And as a side note, Schulenburg is only one a very limited small towns with a North and South Main divided by a railroad...

        Denis Muras

        --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Matt Cross <lennonluv@...> wrote:

        > I thought some people here might be interested in the article linked below:
        >

        > http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/features/6451102.html
        >

        > Matt Cross
        > lennonluv@...
        > "Madness is the first sign of dandruff." -- John Lennon

        > HotmailĀ® has a new way to see what's up with your friends.
        > http://windowslive.com/Tutorial/Hotmail/WhatsNew?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_Tutorial_WhatsNew1_052009

      • Julie & Wes Matus
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2009

          I hope this guy's venture is a success!  I remember going to Kasper's to buy clothing and shoes and then the Lippmann's store too - I believe they sold fabric if I'm not mistaken.  My mom sewed all of our clothes when I was at home.  I used to sew my own clothes, but now have not done that in quite a while.  I don't remember where else you could buy fabric in Schulenburg.

          The one grocery store always gave 'coupons' for so many groceries you bought and my Mom was able to get a set of dishes for all four of us kids and herself as well.  I still have those dishes in the 'china cabinet/pie safe' from my Mom's house.  We use them occasionally, but they are 'special' dishes.

          It's fun to remember old memories.

          Julie

          It is great that someone is keeping the old building in town intact. I remember that building as the old Western Auto Store. I wonder if they found any items from the old store as well.

          I just hope that someone could restore the other older buildings in town as well. The old clothing store. There was a building that was a Dry Goods store that was converted into the Upstairs at the Downstairs, a local bar and pool hall. There used to be a bar west across the street that I remember as being segregated, one side for white and the other for blacks, it no longer stand. The hardware store at the west end of North Main.

          And as a side note, Schulenburg is only one a very limited small towns with a North and South Main divided by a railroad...

          Denis Muras

          --- In TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com, Matt Cross <lennonluv@. ..> wrote:

          > I thought some people here might be interested in the article linked below:
          >

          > http://www.chron. com/disp/ story.mpl/ headline/ features/ 6451102.html
          >

          > Matt Cross
          > lennonluv@.. .
          > "Madness is the first sign of dandruff." -- John Lennon

          > HotmailĀ® has a new way to see what's up with your friends.
          > http://windowslive. com/Tutorial/ Hotmail/WhatsNew ?ocid=TXT_ TAGLM_WL_ HM_Tutorial_ WhatsNew1_ 052009

          PeoplePC Online
          A better way to Internet
          http://www.peoplepc.com