Learning to speak Czech

  • susanhavelka@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31, 2009
      I met a young lady at SLAVNOST/MAYFEST, at the Texas Czech Heritage and Cultural Center in La Grange, that has agreed to teach me Czech. She is from the Czech Republic and has been in America about a year or so. She lives about 20 miles from Columbus and is considering teaching about 4 more students in a group setting. She thought that groups of 4 would be best for learning. If anyone is interested, let me know. She comes to my home in Columbus 1 to 2 times per week for about 1 1/2 hrs. My lessons start at 1:30 I've had 2 lessons and my 3rd is tomorrow. I am learning a great deal from her. I only knew a few words here and there, but now she is teaching me the proper way to say them as they do in the Czech Republic, and I am learning to read the words as well. We are starting at the beginning with vocabulary etc... I am hoping by Christmas I will be able to speak rather well. We shall see. Trying to learn a new language at 49 is challenging. I get confused and forget which word means what. My husband asks me, "Who are you going to talk to?" LOL!!! I told him I'm going to talk to him and then he'll have to learn too.

      Susan
    • Jana Vaculik
      Message 2 of 5 , May 31, 2009
        The most important thing is for you to listen, speak and read the language as you learn. They say that is the important technique when learning any language. I have noticed that since I have been reading more czech news in czech over the internet my writing has improved and I can read czech articles more quickly and can retain information. Hearing the language, seeing it, reading it maybe start with children's books.

        I also like watching the soap operas but I have not in a while. They also have a version of the fox show where contestants take a lie detector test and win money, i think its To tell the truth. That is fun to watch.

        it is cool that she is willing to travel all that way to teach you. Do not be discouraged b/c czech is hard even for the native speakers. Some times my dad has to think about the grammar if I have to ask a question. Is she teaching you how native speakers are taught or does she just teach you? I ask because all the people who develop/write the teaching materials used at the college level are native speakers who think foreigners can only learn czech one way and not the way native speakers are taught in schools. Anyway that's my two cents.

        --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "susanhavelka@..." <susanhavelka@...> wrote:

        > I met a young lady at SLAVNOST/MAYFEST, at the Texas Czech Heritage and Cultural Center in La Grange, that has agreed to teach me Czech. She is from the Czech Republic and has been in America about a year or so. She lives about 20 miles from Columbus and is considering teaching about 4 more students in a group setting. She thought that groups of 4 would be best for learning. If anyone is interested, let me know. She comes to my home in Columbus 1 to 2 times per week for about 1 1/2 hrs. My lessons start at 1:30 I've had 2 lessons and my 3rd is tomorrow. I am learning a great deal from her. I only knew a few words here and there, but now she is teaching me the proper way to say them as they do in the Czech Republic, and I am learning to read the words as well. We are starting at the beginning with vocabulary etc... I am hoping by Christmas I will be able to speak rather well. We shall see. Trying to learn a new language at 49 is challenging. I get confused and forget which word means what. My husband asks me, "Who are you going to talk to?" LOL!!! I told him I'm going to talk to him and then he'll have to learn too.
        >
        > Susan

      • susan havelka
        Message 3 of 5 , May 31, 2009
          Hello Jana,

          The young lady who teaches me has to drive to Columbus during the week anyway. That's fortunate for me. When you say you watch the Czech soap operas and game shows, is that on the website, www.nova.cz or is there another website available for Czech TV?  I agree it is important to listen to it as much as possible. That's why I've been going to the website and listening as often as I'm able. I find that I hear words I recognize but forget what they mean. The way she started teaching me on the 1st lesson is by going over the letters and the proper pronunciation. I discovered I was WAY off on some pronunciation  when studying on my own. She is going to teach me more of the way they speak in the Czech Republic; however, I would still be able to communicate with others here and be understood.  I'm so excited about learning, but like I said, it is difficult trying to learn a new language at my age. My brain feels overwhelmed at times but I'm not giving up. I'm determined to learn it!

          Susan

          The most important thing is for you to listen, speak and read the language as you learn. They say that is the important technique when learning any language. I have noticed that since I have been reading more czech news in czech over the internet my writing has improved and I can read czech articles more quickly and can retain information. Hearing the language, seeing it, reading it maybe start with children's books.

          I also like watching the soap operas but I have not in a while. They also have a version of the fox show where contestants take a lie detector test and win money, i think its To tell the truth. That is fun to watch.

          it is cool that she is willing to travel all that way to teach you. Do not be discouraged b/c czech is hard even for the native speakers. Some times my dad has to think about the grammar if I have to ask a question. Is she teaching you how native speakers are taught or does she just teach you? I ask because all the people who develop/write the teaching materials used at the college level are native speakers who think foreigners can only learn czech one way and not the way native speakers are taught in schools. Anyway that's my two cents.

          --- In TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com, "susanhavelka@ ..." <susanhavelka@ ...> wrote:

          > I met a young lady at SLAVNOST/MAYFEST, at the Texas Czech Heritage and Cultural Center in La Grange, that has agreed to teach me Czech. She is from the Czech Republic and has been in America about a year or so. She lives about 20 miles from Columbus and is considering teaching about 4 more students in a group setting. She thought that groups of 4 would be best for learning. If anyone is interested, let me know. She comes to my home in Columbus 1 to 2 times per week for about 1 1/2 hrs. My lessons start at 1:30 I've had 2 lessons and my 3rd is tomorrow. I am learning a great deal from her. I only knew a few words here and there, but now she is teaching me the proper way to say them as they do in the Czech Republic, and I am learning to read the words as well. We are starting at the beginning with vocabulary etc... I am hoping by Christmas I will be able to speak rather well. We shall see. Trying to learn a new language at 49 is challenging. I get confused and forget which word means what. My husband asks me, "Who are you going to talk to?" LOL!!! I told him I'm going to talk to him and then he'll have to learn too.
          >
          > Susan

        • Jana Vaculik
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2009
            http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/poradyaz/serialy.html
            http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/ivysilani/
            Czech lessons in Czech for children
            http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/ivysilani/207562235500015-o-cestine/
            Another for phrases
            http://www.locallingo.com/czech/phrases/colors.html
            Television news from the Vallachia region
            http://www.tvbeskyd.cz/wordpress/

            There are several tv stations: Nova, CT Prima,
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Czech_language_television_channels

            --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, susan havelka <susanhavelka@...> wrote:

            > Hello Jana,
            >
            > The young lady who teaches me has to drive to Columbus during the week anyway. That's fortunate for me. When you say you watch the Czech soap operas and game shows, is that on the website, www.nova.cz or is there another website available for Czech TV?  I agree it is important to listen to it as much as possible. That's why I've been going to the website and listening as often as I'm able. I find that I hear words I recognize but forget what they mean. The way she started teaching me on the 1st lesson is by going over the letters and the proper pronunciation. I discovered I was WAY off on some pronunciation  when studying on my own. She is going to teach me more of the way they speak in the Czech Republic; however, I would still be able to communicate with others here and be understood.  I'm so excited about learning, but like I said, it is difficult trying to learn a new language at my age. My brain feels overwhelmed at times but I'm not
            > giving up. I'm determined to learn it!
            >
            > Susan

          • susan havelka
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 2, 2009