Pamatnik Project

  • paulasmaggie
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 24, 2009
      With help from my research "buddies", the Dime Box Picture on pg 96 has been redigitized. We also have matched the numbers with the people in the photo. If you would like the list of People please email. paulasmaggie
    • jbucek2001
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 29 6:54 PM
        What does the "S." mean in Odbocka C.N.S. v Shiner Texas? This organization was a branch of the Czech National Society.
        Thanks!
        Janie Bucek
      • Joe Janecka
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 29 7:44 PM
          It stands for "Sdruzeni" translated="association"

          Joe

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 30 8:25 AM
            In an article by Miloslav Rechcigl, Jr. titled  "Czech America in the Struggle for Independent Czechoslovakia," the "Ceske narodni sdruzeni" (C.N.S.) was translated as "Czech National Alliance."  See the eight paragraph in the article at:  http://www.svu2000.org/cs-america/for-czechoslovakia/

            I found many references to the C.N.S. translated as both the Czech National Alliance and the Czech National Association.  I'm not sure why Miloslav and many others chose to translate  "sdruzeni" as "Alliance" instead of  "Association."  Perhaps that was an acceptable alternate translation during World War I when the C.N.S. was active.  To me, "Alliance" sounds a bit better.

            The "Ceske narodni sdruzeni," or "Czech National Alliance (C.N.S.)," was formed by Czech-Americans in Chicago,Illinois in the early days of World War I.  The main purpose of the C.N.S.was to raise funds to aid the European Czechs and Slovaks in their struggle for independence, which was deemed to be achievable after the probable defeat of the Austro-Hungarian Empire at the end of World War I.  The C.N.S. was a temporary organization that had about 350 branches throughout the United States that collectively raised a very large amount of money.  The numerous branches in Texas raised about $60,000.  A history of Č.N.S. efforts in Texas (in Czech), including a list of the various Texas branches, can be found in the commemorative Č.N.S. "Pamatnik" album.  This album, published in 1920 and written entirely in Czech, can be accessed using an internet search for "Pamatnik Project."  This album can also be viewed at many libraries in Texas.

            C.N.S. branches were formed at both Shiner and nearby Vlastenec in Lavaca County.  Vlastenec was a farming area with many Czech families that was centered about four miles southwest of Shiner.

            Mike Hejl

            --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "jbucek2001" <jbucek2001@...> wrote:

            > What does the "S." mean in Odbocka C.N.S. v Shiner Texas? This organization was a branch of the Czech National Society.
            > Thanks!
            > Janie Bucek

          • jbucek2001
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 1, 2012
              Joe, thanks for the information. Janie

              --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Janecka" <joejanecka@...> wrote:

              > It stands for "Sdruzeni" translated="association"
              >
              > Joe

            • Lydia Mousner
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 6, 2016
                I found this link for the Pamatnik Project.  I'm not sure if this is the one that was being discussed in February or not.  It is in Czech.
                ~Lydia Mousner