[TexasCzechs] Brethren Churches

  • Elaine Malina
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2009
      Yes, the pastor was Anton Motycka.  The certificate is very generic, giving my dad's name, date of birth, where, and the date of baptism along with his parents, sponsor's, and the pastor's name. This pastor also baptized several of my dad's brothers and sisters.  Jackie Marek looked those up in the Brethren Church records, so he was a pastor in the Brethren Church, but again, I do not have a church or location.

      I don't know if there is a history of the Brethren Church that mentions all the churches in that area or in Texas around the turn of the century.

      Elaine
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2009
        Rev. Motycka served a total of eighteen congregations in Texas. He was the organizing minister of the following congregations:

        Nelsonville - 1893 (This was the first congregation for which he served as pastor, and he remained such for the remaining forty-four years of his life.
        Taylor - 1895
        Rosebud (merged with Ocker) - 1901
        Seaton - 1906
        Sealy - 1921

        Source: How It All Began: A History of the Unity of the Brethren," by Daniel J. Marek, Unity of the Brethren, 2004.

        Hope this helps you make a determination.

        Pat

      • Elaine Malina
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 5, 2009
          Thanks for the info.