Fw: Emailing: 1922dimebox_Ch_tornado

  • Paula Foster
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 28, 2009
      I am posting this picture of the rebuiding of the Brethen Church in 1922 in Hranice. My grgr Uncle Jan Valigura is on the left holding the hammer.  I think the man with cane sitting on the right is my grgr Uncle Mike Valigura.  If anyone recognizes any other people, please post it.  paulasmaggie

      1922dimebox_Ch_tornado

    • Elaine Malina
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 28, 2009
        Maggie,

        Thanks for the photos of the Dime Box Brethren Church.

        Does anyone know if there was a Brethren Church in the High Prarie/Frenstat area (Burleson Co) in the early 1900's.  I have my father's baptism certificate (written in Czech) and it mentions Frenstat; however, I have not been able to determine if there was a  Brethren church located there, in addition to the Catholic church, or if Frenstat was listed because the Hruska family lived near that community.

        I have baptismal records of several of my dad's siblings but none of them list the name of a church or where the baptism's took place.
        I talked to my only living aunt about this and she said that at one time there was a church at High Prarie but she didn't know what kind of church it was.

        Any ideas on finding out where Brethren Churches were located or if baptisms ever took place in the home will be appreciated.

        Thanks,
        Elaine Malina

      • Pat Hejl
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 29, 2009
          Do you have the name of the pastor who did the baptism? That will help identify if it is a Brethren church or another denomination.

          Pat

        • Lydia Mousner
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 29, 2009
            Hi Elaine,
            Have you seen this webwsite which lists cemeteries in Burleson County?  http://www.txgenweb2.org/txburleson/cemeteries.htm

            Good luck.
            Lydia

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 29, 2009
              Oops.  Sorry - I was thinking about 'cemeteries' when I sent you the earlier email.
              Lydia

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 1, 2009
                Yes, the pastor was Anton Motycka.  The certificate is very generic, giving my dad's name, date of birth, where, and the date of baptism along with his parents, sponsor's, and the pastor's name. This pastor also baptized several of my dad's brothers and sisters.  Jackie Marek looked those up in the Brethren Church records, so he was a pastor in the Brethren Church, but again, I do not have a church or location.

                I don't know if there is a history of the Brethren Church that mentions all the churches in that area or in Texas around the turn of the century.

                Elaine
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 1, 2009
                  Rev. Motycka served a total of eighteen congregations in Texas. He was the organizing minister of the following congregations:

                  Nelsonville - 1893 (This was the first congregation for which he served as pastor, and he remained such for the remaining forty-four years of his life.
                  Taylor - 1895
                  Rosebud (merged with Ocker) - 1901
                  Seaton - 1906
                  Sealy - 1921

                  Source: How It All Began: A History of the Unity of the Brethren," by Daniel J. Marek, Unity of the Brethren, 2004.

                  Hope this helps you make a determination.

                  Pat

                • Elaine Malina
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 5, 2009
                    Thanks for the info.