Listers and the CHS Genealogy Conference

  • Susan Rektorik Henley
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 11, 2000
      RE: [TexasCzechs] Is anyone out there?
      Dear Richard, Gerri, and All,

      I am glad to hear that some others of the listers are going to attend the Conference.  I plan to go myself but worried about knowing almost no one there. (You know, Czechs love company!) I would like to put faces with names.  Perhaps we can figure a time and place to meet each other.  What do you all say? Richard, could you, perhaps, ask for and keep a roll call of who is going?

      Also, I have reviewed the agenda and see a sample that should appeal to most.  I don't want to take away Franklin Hurta's information sharing on the topics; however, I, personally am looking forward to hearing Dr. Clinton Machann speak on Czech History and Texas Czech History.  When I first started studying my Texas Czech Heritage, I purchased two books co-authored by Dr. Machann:  "Krasna Amerika:  A Study of Texas Czechs, 1851 -1939" and "Czech Voices: Stories from Texas in the 'Amerikan Narodni Kalendar".  The well-planned, logical and heavily footnoted books gave me an excellent feel for the early Czech Texans.  I am sure others of you are familiar with the books but I just thought I'd remind you all of this.

      Susan Rektorik Henley