Taroky!

  • gbohuslav
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 22, 2009

      Carroll:  Here is a good site to get basic information about the game.  As mentioned in an earlier message (that did not include the web site), you will learn best by reviewing this document, then go to a place where someone knows how to play, watch/ask, and finally sit down and play with someone behind you helping you out.  If you stick with the very basics then it is pretty easy.  But it can get much more complicated.

      http://www.pagat.com/tarot/taroky.html

      Gilbert

      Note:  Chris Rybak is setting up a 2009 Valentine's Day Czech Cruise and included will be taroky lessons!!!

    • CWarschak@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 23, 2009
        Gilbert,
        Thanks for posting the site to learn to play Taroky.

        By the Way: You mentioned that Chris Rybak would be including Taroky lessons on his 2009 Valentine Cruise.  When will his 2009 Valentine Cruise be leaving port?

        Carroll

        Carroll:  Here is a good site to get basic information about the game.  As mentioned in an earlier message (that did not include the web site), you will learn best by reviewing this document, then go to a place where someone knows how to play, watch/ask, and finally sit down and play with someone behind you helping you out.  If you stick with the very basics then it is pretty easy.  But it can get much more complicated.

        Gilbert

        Note:  Chris Rybak is setting up a 2009 Valentine's Day Czech Cruise and included will be taroky lessons!!!
      • jerry
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 25, 2009
          Hey Carroll
          Where can I purchase a deck of Toroky Cards??
          Jerry

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 25, 2009
            Howdy Cuz,
            Good to hear from you.  Do you play Taroky?
            I have never purchased any Taroky cards but I am fairly sure that a couple of places in West have them.  Also, I have occasionally seen them for sale by vendors at the Czech Heritage and Czech Geneology Conferences.  Both of these groups will have conferences within the next few months.
            Why don't you and Margaret plan on coming to some of the meetings.  They are always very interesting and informative.
            By the way, I attended the Texas German Heritage Society convention at Columbus about three weeks ago.
            I'm looking forward to attending the Wilde Family Reunion in Wall on July 11. Hope to see you all there.  Stay in touch.

[...]

          • Gilbert Bohuslav
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 25, 2009
              Joe at the Schulenburg Sticker in Schulenburg has some.  I bought several decks from him last year.

              Gilbert

[...]

            • Madelyn Dusek
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 25, 2009
                I purchased a deck of Taroky cards at the Czech Center Museum Houston (the original Czech Cultural Center Houston) gift shop on San Jacinto last year. The deck came with instructions in the package.

                Madelyn Rod Dusek

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 26, 2009
                  I have since learned that Chris Rybak's Valentine Cruise is Feb. 14 - 21, 2010.
                  He and his wife made a surprise appearance during our Czech class in West last Monday night. They were accompanied by Raymond and Clarice Snokhaus and performed in downtown West on Tuesday morning at a ceremony to commemorate West being chosen to receive state assistance to refurbish the buildings on main street.
                  Chris confirmed that he would have someone on board the ship who would give Taroky lessons.

                • CzechAg70@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 2, 2009
                    You can buy them from the Nasinec, 1751 C.R. 358, Granger, TX  76530-5039.  For more details, the telephone number for Joe Vrabel is 512/859-2906.  The total drive-out cost for a mail-ordered deck is $13.80.

                    Good luck with the convoluted bidding process!  I'm wondering what caliber of slivovice the Czechs who invented this game were imbibing when they came up with it.

                    BTW, Joe will also gladly set you up with a subscription to his weekly newspaper [Nasinec] so that you can hone and polish your Czech reading ability.  It's published a total of 50 times a year, and he could sure use the help to keep publishing it.

                    Regards to all,
                    E. J. Biskup

                    In a message dated 3/25/2009 11:25:10 P.M. Central Daylight Time, vitam20032000@... writes:

[...]

                    Worried about job security? Check out the 5 safest jobs in a recession.