RE: [TexasCzechs] Is anyone out there?

  • Kotrla RJ (Richard)
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 10, 2000
      RE: [TexasCzechs] Is anyone out there?

      Gerri,

      If one can't be 100 percent Czech, being Czech and Polish is a pretty good combination. You can get to share the cultural heritage of two very unique ethnic groups.  I believe, although I do not claim to be an expert, that the two cultures are very similar in many ways.

      I am attending the July conference for the first time, myself.

      Charlene Hurta, Patrick Janis and others that are more involved and have attended in past years hopefully will see your posting and respond.

      I do know I am excited about the conference and will attend.

      I hope you and others will, too!!!

        ----------
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 11, 2000
        <Each day when I return home from the office, I can't wait to get to the email and see what's there.>

        Gerri, I was glad to hear that you are still interested in the list!

        Richard, now that you are back, perhaps, we can figure out a little more closely what people want to read.  I know we can cover a wide variety of topics and cover a broad span of interests; however, when I am almost the only one sending mail...my stories...one begins to wonder what folks really want to hear.

        For instance, Rick Garza and I held a extended discussion on the settlement patterns of the Texas Czechs (including the role of pro- and anti-sesession counties), and the importance of the blackland prairies (including a second migration).  At the time we were doing this, I thought, "Boy, would l like to hear other views and information on this.  I'd like to share it with the list"  However, since there has been so little traffic, the discussion stayed between Richard and myself.

        Another thing which I did think about, should this type of discussion go to the list, is ensuring that proper credit to the sources used to support the positions. Authors always are due and deserve recognition.

        Anyway...in the end, I figured this discussion would just send people off yawning.

        It would help to know what people are interested in.  I really don't wish to torture or at least bore folks.

        Susan Rektorik Henley
      • Evelyn M. Lancour
        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 11, 2000
          Susan,
             I for one am grateful for your stories. When reading about the struggles of our ancestors it keeps me humble and thankful for the technolgies we have today. This was history in the making. And wouldn't our ancestors be proud to know we haven't forgotten them?
          Evelyn (Makovec0 Lancour

        • epereira@swbell.net

            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 11, 2000
              Susan your stories never bore. You also give the authors name which I like. It makes a
              difference to me when I read something to know if the author actually lived the story or
              is just relating something he has heard. I wish more people would write stories.
              This weekend a cousin died very young, 24, and it just makes one stop and think how short life is. My elderly aunt (oh is she saw this she would hit me with her rosary beads) is coming in for her visit and I can't wait. I wrote her a letter last week that I want her to
              sit with me and talk about the family. I also want her to write down stories of the family and things her parents told her. She was born here but she is the one who took care of
              my grandparents in their later years. She is a nun but she arranged a leave from the convent and ended up teaching in Sealy so she could live with her parents and look out for them. I know she sat and talked with them so I think this will be a fruitful visit.
              If she comes through for me I will post them. My grandparents were not early settlers. They came in 1914 and settled at Live Oak Hill, Fayette County, Tx.

              Lois Petter Pereira

              Susan Rektorik Henley wrote:

              <Each day when I return home from the office, I can't wait to get to the email and see what's there.> Gerri, I was glad to hear that you are still interested in the list! Richard, now that you are back, perhaps, we can figure out a little more closely what people want to read.  I know we can cover a wide variety of topics and cover a broad span of interests; however, when I am almost the only one sending mail...my stories...one begins to wonder what folks really want to hear. For instance, Rick Garza and I held a extended discussion on the settlement patterns of the Texas Czechs (including the role of pro- and anti-sesession counties), and the importance of the blackland prairies (including a second migration).  At the time we were doing this, I thought, "Boy, would l like to hear other views and information on this.  I'd like to share it with the list"  However, since there has been so little traffic, the discussion stayed between Richard and myself. Another thing which I did think about, should this type of discussion go to the list, is ensuring that proper credit to the sources used to support the positions. Authors always are due and deserve recognition. Anyway...in the end, I figured this discussion would just send people off yawning. It would help to know what people are interested in.  I really don't wish to torture or at least bore folks. Susan Rektorik Henley

            • Steve Alvarez
              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 11, 2000
                RE: [TexasCzechs] Is anyone out there?
                You must work at night Richard  otherwise you would be in bed.
                How about as Richard G says, I am a Tex-Mex-Czech.

                Steve

                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 11, 2000
                  One of the things that has always had my interest is "traveling by ship" to America.  My relatives came from Bremen, Germany.  Information like:
                      1) How did they get from Moravia to Bremen?
                      2) How did they make those arrangements?
                      3) What procedure did they have to go through to get permission to
                          come to America?
                      4) How long did it take and what was the ship/travel like?
                      5) When they arrived at their port, how did they get from there to where
                          they were going?  In fact, how did they know where they were going?

                  These are questions that intrigue me and I would love to see someone discuss these in greater detail.

                  Gilbert Bohuslav

[...]

                • Susan Rektorik Henley
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 11, 2000
                    Gilbert, I too would enjoy discussing the subjects which you listed.  I would especially like hearing the family stories of others.

                    I am mostly a "book-learned", fairly recent, Tex Czech culturist/historian.  I will share what I know; however, there are some folks on the CHS list who have been involved with the history of the Texas Czechs and the CHS for a long time and have far more extensive knowledge than I do.  I wish we could get them to share with us.  This is a request, please!

                    I also strongly recommend two books as starting points for learning about the driving forces behind the Czech migration to Texas.

                    "Krasna Amerika:  A Study of the Texas Czechs, 1851--1939"; by  Clinton Machann and James W. Mendl;Eakin Press, Austin, Texas; 1983.

                    [As the title states, this is a study of the Texas Czechs.  Chapter Titles include:  Emigration from Europe and Early History in Texas, Movement and Growth, Social Structure, Religion, Folk Culture, Czech Language, Journalism, and Literature, and Czech Identity and Assimilation.]

                    "Czech Voices, Stories from Texas in the Amerikan Narodni Kalendar:  translated and edited by Clinton Machann and James W. Mendl Jr.";  Texas A & M University Press, College Station, Texas;  1991.

                    [This book contains ten, first person accounts of early Czech immigrants to Texas.  The accounts start in the 1850's.  The articles were first printed in the the Midwestern Czech-language journal "Amerikan narodni Kalendar."  According to the dust jacket themes include "hardships of the immigrants, religious conflicts, the American Civil War, farming practices, and attitudes toward the land."  I also found a lot of the subjects which you are interested in.

                    Do others of you know of other books?  Let us know.

                    I'm more than willing to start a point by point discussion of your topics of interest.  In case someone else wants to lead off, I'll sit back for a little while.

                    Susan Rektorik Henley

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 11, 2000
                        Hi Susan

                        Some us stay silence during your discussion of Czech History and Culture only because we have a limited knowledge of such things.  But I look at your discussion as a learning experience not a boring one.
                        God Bless
                        Steve

                        Alvarez@...
                        Zaruba, Lastovica, Pavlicek

                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 11, 2000
                          Hi

                          Has anyone noticed how many of the Czech people become Nuns or Priest. I have several in my families past and present.

                          Just an observation
                          God Bless
                          Steve

                          Alvarez@...
                          Zaruba, Lastovica, Pavlicek

                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 12, 2000
                            Those two books sound interesting.  But I am learning if you don't buy a genealogy book when it first comes out. It is diffcult if not impossible to get later.  So my advise is, if you see it, buy it.  I am a fairly newbie (2 years) and I have seen and heard of books for the  area I am researching.  But they are no longer in print.

                            God Bless
                            Steve

                            Alvarez@...
                            Zaruba, Lastovica, Pavlicek

                            Message 13 of 23 , Jun 12, 2000
                              RE: [TexasCzechs] Is anyone out there?

                              And they all said "Amen."

                              It's the stories from folks like Susan who keep us all entertained and at the same time educate us some more about our wonderful Czech heritage.  These are the stories that we need to preserve and should be preserving for years to come.  I continue to add them to my computer files and hard copies so we, as CHS, can publish them at some future date.

                              Richard Kotrla

                                ----------

[...]

                                  _____

                                  _____

                                  _____

                                http://click.egroups.com/1/5276/7/_/911115/_/960739651/

                                 http://adimg.egroups.com/img/5276/7/_/911115/_/960739651/468mcsearch.gif

                                  _____

                            • Kotrla RJ (Richard)
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jun 12, 2000
                                RE: [TexasCzechs] Is anyone out there?

                                Steve and other CzechListers:

                                My take on this is because of  our deep commitment to our faith and God.

                                I am not Catholic, with my ancestors being called "Evangels" and were active in promoting Protestantism and the beliefs of Jan Hus.

                                We, as Czechs, have always had and continue to have strong religious beliefs.

                                Our ancestors, as we do today, depend on our God to get through the tough times and the good times.  And we as a people, have had and continue to have both.

                                Richard K.

                                  ----------

[...]

                                  http://click.egroups.com/1/5276/7/_/911115/_/960740701/

                                   http://adimg.egroups.com/img/5276/7/_/911115/_/960740701/468mcsearch.gif

                                    _____

                              • Jo Ann Sewell
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jun 12, 2000
                                  RE: [TexasCzechs] Is anyone out there?
                                  R. J. Kotrla:

                                  I do not have your personal e-mail address so will briefly state my message.

                                  My grandfather, Thomas Martinets, was raised in the Moravian Brethren faith, and I would greatly appreciate any information on where members of this church now meet -- or to what other Protestant faiths that they find follow similar beliefs.  I am going to the Granger area this weekend to begin a personal search on my maternal ancestry.  I have been following this site for several months and I appreciate the "news" I have received.  I would really like to go to the conference in Bryan, but am not sure if it would work into my schedule this year  -- the talk on the Moravian Brethren church to be presented caught my eye.

                                  Thank you, Jo Ann (Polasek) Sewell

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jun 12, 2000
                                    RE: [TexasCzechs] Is anyone out there?

                                    JoAnn:

                                    My two personal e-mails are kotrlarj@... and kotrlarj@.... Write to one and "cc" to the other as I work shift work and don't want to miss anyone's messages.

                                    My first question to you, and others that my have information:  Is Martinets the same as Martinek.  I have relatives that are Martinek, or perhaps I am just misspelling it.  Perhaps it is Martinets.  They are from the Ellinger and Fayetteville areas.

                                    Lets me just share what I know personally about the CMB.

                                    I was born and raised in the CMB, now the Unity of the Brethren.  I grew up in the church in Caldwell.

                                    My recollection of the history, and there is a book out that was published years ago by the Christian Sisters of that church called the "The History of the Unity of the Brethren Church."  Our roots come from the beliefs of Jan Hus.

                                    I will locate my book, and I also know that Robert Janak published an article on the church's history and it was e-mailed by someone earlier, and possibly it can be put on the list again.

                                    The churches are still alive and well throughout Texas.

                                    I married into the Baptist Church, and but still am proud of my CMB heritage.

                                    The church in Granger is still alive and well and I have many Kotrla kin in and around Taylor and Granger.

                                    The building is very historical and unique and you should try to go see it.

                                    While in college, for two or three summers, I was a summer minister, and preached at many of these churches while their pastors were on vacation.

                                    Many of the church records are kept at the individual churches, but there are lots of other informations out there on the church.

                                    I have some of it at home, and will try to share.

                                    There are others, like Jackie Marek and others who can be of greater help, and hopefully, they will join in this discussion.

                                    Richard

                                      ----------
[...]

                                      http://click.egroups.com/1/5276/7/_/911115/_/960827108/

                                       http://adimg.egroups.com/img/5276/7/_/911115/_/960827108/468mcsearch.gif

                                        _____

                                  • Kotrla RJ (Richard)
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jun 12, 2000
                                      There are definitely similarities in the culture, the heritage and the
                                      history.

                                      But I suspect there might be more than one Czech who will challenge you on
                                      who can party better, the Czechs or the Poles. I suspect it would be a
                                      pretty even contest, if we held one.

                                      ----------

                                    • SUGAREK%BILBO@uthscsa.edu
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jun 12, 2000
                                        I would also like to recommend "Czech Pioneers of the Southwest" by Estelle
                                        Hudson in collaberation with Henry R. Maresh. It is a wonderful reference. I
                                        believe that it was originally written around the 1930's from interviews with
                                        some of the original pioneers. It has come back into print and is available at a
                                        reasonable cost in paperback. Happy reading! Nancy Sugarek
                                      • Richard Garza
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jun 12, 2000
                                          Hi Jo Ann,
                                          In my copy of the Brethren Journal Aug. 1999 Granger Brethren Church
                                          shown as having services at 9 every Sunday. Rev. Albert Michalik shown
                                          as 512-352-6870 (Taylor address).
                                          A few years ago the Czech Heritage Society of Texas placed copies of
                                          Rev. Frank Horak's funeral and baptismal records with most of the Unity
                                          of the Brethren Churches in Texas. The secretary or pastor for the
                                          individual churches may be able to help. Thanks in great part to
                                          volunteers like Jackie Marek and others, this was made possible.
                                          Good luck
                                          Rick Garza
                                          P.S. there was a Martinets, Lillian Rosa born 9 Jul 1926 in Taylor and
                                          lived in Holland, TX. Any kin of yours?

                                          Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
                                          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
                                        • Kotrla RJ (Richard)
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jun 12, 2000
                                            JoAnn and others.

                                            The Unity of the Brethren has a website, which I will try to look up, and
                                            share the address with you, or someone may have handy sooner.

                                            Richard

                                            ----------

                                            <mailto:texasczechs@egroups.com>
                                            > Subject: Re: [TexasCzechs] Is anyone out there?
                                            >
                                            > Hi
                                            >
                                            > Has anyone noticed how many of the Czech people become
                                            Nuns or
                                            > Priest. I have several in my families past and present.
                                            >

                                            > Just an observation
                                            > God Bless
                                            > Steve
                                            >
                                            > Alvarez@... <mailto:Alvarez@...>
                                            > Zaruba, Lastovica, Pavlicek

                                            -----

                                            Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
                                            http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj <http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj> .

                                            Free @Backup service! Click here for your free trial of @Backup.
                                            @Backup is the most convenient way to securely protect and access
                                            your files online. Try it now and receive 300 MyPoints.
                                            http://click.egroups.com/1/4935/7/_/911115/_/960834441/

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jun 12, 2000
                                              I have to believe many of our ancestors are smiling real big when they look
                                              down and see what are happening with CHS and this listserve.

                                              They are surely proud of all of our efforts to preserve our heritage and
                                              culture.

                                              Richard

                                              ----------

                                              http://click.egroups.com/1/5276/7/_/911115/_/960740380/
                                              <http://click.egroups.com/1/5276/7/_/911115/_/960740380/>

                                              http://adimg.egroups.com/img/5276/7/_/911115/_/960740380/468mcsearch.gif

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jun 12, 2000
                                                RE: [TexasCzechs] Is anyone out there?

                                                This is true, Gerri.

                                                I know my great-grandfather on my mother's side came over at the age of 28, worked for a few years and the rest of the family followed.  On my father's side, my grandfather came over, and a few years later his grandmother came over, and she was quite up in years.  But she wanted to spend the last of years with her family in America.

                                                  ----------

                                                  Gilbert Bohuslav wrote:

                                                  > One of the things that has always had my interest is "traveling by
                                                  > ship" to America.  My relatives came from Bremen, Germany.
                                                  > Information like:
                                                  >     1) How did they get from Moravia to Bremen?
                                                  >     2) How did they make those arrangements?
                                                  >     3) What procedure did they have to go through to get permission to
                                                  >
                                                  >         come to America?
                                                  >     4) How long did it take and what was the ship/travel like?
                                                  >     5) When they arrived at their port, how did they get from there to
                                                  > where
                                                  >         they were going?  In fact, how did they know where they were
                                                  > going?
                                                  >
                                                  > These are questions that intrigue me and I would love to see someone
                                                  > discuss these in greater detail.
                                                  >
                                                  > Gilbert Bohuslav
                                                  >

                                                  > Susan Rektorik Henley wrote:
                                                  >
                                                  >> <Each day when I return home from the office, I can't wait to get to
                                                  >> the email and see what's there.> Gerri, I was glad to hear that you
                                                  >> are still interested in the list! Richard, now that you are back,
                                                  >> perhaps, we can figure out a little more closely what people want to
                                                  >> read.  I know we can cover a wide variety of topics and cover a
                                                  >> broad span of interests; however, when I am almost the only one
                                                  >> sending mail...my stories...one begins to wonder what folks really
                                                  >> want to hear. For instance, Rick Garza and I held a extended
                                                  >> discussion on the settlement patterns of the Texas Czechs (including
                                                  >> the role of pro- and anti-sesession counties), and the importance of
                                                  >> the blackland prairies (including a second migration).  At the time
                                                  >> we were doing this, I thought, "Boy, would l like to hear other
                                                  >> views and information on this.  I'd like to share it with the list"
                                                  >> However, since there has been so little traffic, the discussion
                                                  >> stayed between Richard and myself. Another thing which I did think
                                                  >> about, should this type of discussion go to the list, is ensuring
                                                  >> that proper credit to the sources used to support the positions.
                                                  >> Authors always are due and deserve recognition. Anyway...in the end,
                                                  >> I figured this discussion would just send people off yawning. It
                                                  >> would help to know what people are interested in.  I really don't
                                                  >> wish to torture or at least bore folks. Susan Rektorik Henley
                                                  >
                                                  ><<Message: %s>>

                                              • G. Martisek
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Jun 12, 2000
                                                  Jo Ann,

                                                  There is still an active congregation of Czech moravian Bretheran in Vsetin just outside Hallettsville, TX..   I do not know what kind of info, if any that they might have, but it would be worth a try to contact them.

                                                  Also, some of the early books by Albert Blaha briefly mention them.