RE: [TexasCzechs] Topics Of Discussion

  • Kotrla RJ (Richard)
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 10, 2000
      Julie,

      Thanks for your reply.

      You bring up an excellent point about our love for the soil.

      I cannot think of any Czech past, or present, who doesn't enjoy working the
      soil.

      And working this precious earth that the good Lord gave us does bring us
      closer to Him.

      I know how much my late parents enjoyed working the soil.

      And I always have a garden....

      An excellent take on what it means to be Czech.

      Richard

      ----------
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 11, 2000
        I am one of the silent ones and my heritage is 25% Czech and 75% German.  I gather a lot of information about Czech heritage from you good folks who have so much to share and which I appreciate so much.  Keep up the good work.

        My Czech grandfather, Frank Martinak, the son of John Martinak and Christina Supak, from the Colorado, Fayette, Austin County area of Texas, was also very fluent in German and therefore my knowledge of the Czech people and their culture is of really great benefit to me.  The cultures have similar characteristics but my Czech grandfather had a BIG heart and was a FUN-loving person, which in my family, was the noticeable difference in the two cultures.

        The stories of the heritage are of special interest to me.  Thanks for being there!

        Bea Rost, La Grange, Texas

        Kotrla RJ (Richard) wrote:

        Here in Texas City, Texas, USA, it's 10:30 p.m., and most sane people are asleep.

        However, there are some of us awake, and yes, even at work.

        I currently work inside a petrochemical plant, manning phones and a computer, and this time of the night, it's quiet, (for now), and it gives me a chance to reflect on many things, including my Czech heritage. I am, like a lot of you, one of the lucky ones who are 100 percent Czech.  But at the same time, I consider anyone who has .0000000000001 percent Czech blood in them to be Czech, or perhaps were blessed to have married a Czech, which makes them Czech, too.  At least, according to my thinking, that is.  So, I wonder, what is the one single thing that makes us proud to be Czech.  For most of us, there are a thousand reasons.  But if you could only name one reason, and that's what I am asking for as a topic of discussion, what would that be?

      • epereira@swbell.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 11, 2000
          I am 100% Czech. Both my parents were born in Texas of Czech born parents. I think that all the things you mentioned
          are true. The most important thing to me or you might say what other people notice about Czechs are character, love of
          family, deep convictions, love a party, love to eat, strong ties to their community and so on and so on.
          I personally think the most important thing to me is not one thing but several. The love of family and community. Have you
          ever noticed how Czechs rally together if someone is in need. They don't have to be family either. They work hard and share what they have. They have a respect for others and their feelings. Now a Czech can have his spat with family or friends but
          they tend to get over it. It reminds me of a personal thing that happened this weekend. Their is a funeral in our family and when my mom mentioned she had called a cousin-in-law who has been mean to her sister-in-law, I just said oh you called her too?
          It was a question, not a statement but my mom answered "We overlook others faults just as they should overlook ours, family should always do this". Now, isn't that the truth. Have you heard of any drive by Czech shootings? What about the Czech gangs wearing their colors? That's right we aren't like that. Sorry for rambling but those are my thoughts for the day...Lois Petter Pereira

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 11, 2000
            I too have German in the family but one thing you mentioned was your grandfather and I have a question. My grandfather
            was the love of my life. He was bigger than life itself. One thing I noticed growing up was the way my mother and he
            interacted versus the way I did. There was always something he and I were doing together. He would actually get in the
            dirt with me and play. He would sit on the back porch and whittle things for me. He would tell me stories and basically get
            in Grandma's hair. He loved to Hoorah her. My mother had a great respect for him but it was always standoffish. Not that
            she didn't love him or he her but it was totally different from my relationship. When I asked her once if she liked him she
            was indignant and told me of course and why would I be such a hlupan. When I persisted she said the way she was raised
            was totally different than the way I way therefore Grandpa could relate to me in a different and better way. When she grew
            up the men ate first and then the women and children ate. This was a carryover from their days in Cz. The man was the head
            of the household and given the respect due him. The children cuddled with him at bedtime when he told them stories but it
            wasn't the same way I grew up. We could have that close time all the time.
            Now my question is... Has anyone else noticed this or is it just something that I experienced? The women seemed to be
            very comfortable among each other but when a man entered they tended to tone down and act differently. Could this be
            a form of respect that they were taught as youngsters and this gal never learned the lesson? I am curious. Lois Petter Pereira

[...]

          • G. Martisek
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 11, 2000
              As a young girl, I remember family gatherings at my grandmother's and aunts/uncles to be fun times.  It seems that we went there almost every weekend, but I am sure that it was not quite that often.  But for sure every holiday and many weekends for weddings, parish celebrations,  Fireman's Frolics, and KJZT activities.

              I too remember that the men ate first and then the women ate later.  I especially felt grown up whenever there might be a vacant chair in the first group with the men and I would get to eat before the others.  It never ceased to amaze me that there was always plenty of food left for the ladies and it never seemed to  be cold.

              Before and after the meal there was always plenty of domino games to be played.  Forty-two and moon.  I learned very young how to play just by watching the adults play.  Sometimes I would get to play a  few hands when someone would take a time out.

              I also remember that at the Catholic Church that my grandparents went to in Wallis (Guardian Angel)--it's often on the list of the "Painted Churches" that many visit-- the women tended to sit in the front pews and the men would sit on the back rows.  Not sure why--.  This did not happen in my hometown, but then it was not Czech either.

              Lot's of good memories.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 12, 2000
                RE: [TexasCzechs] Topics Of Discussion

                I think it's so great that so many of you have already rsponded to the the idea of sharingf the one or two things that makes us proud to be Czech, either 100 percent or .00000001 percent.  Please keep this going.   And I agree,  two of the things most brought up in our recollections is that we are a people that works hard, and plays hard.  And has fun at whatever we do.

                Richard

                  ----------

                  Kotrla RJ (Richard) wrote:

                  > Here in Texas City, Texas, USA, it's 10:30 p.m., and most sane people
                  > are asleep.
                  >
                  > However, there are some of us awake, and yes, even at work.
                  >
                  > I currently work inside a petrochemical plant, manning phones and a
                  > computer, and this time of the night, it's quiet, (for now), and it
                  > gives me a chance to reflect on many things, including my Czech
                  > heritage. I am, like a lot of you, one of the lucky ones who are 100
                  > percent Czech.  But at the same time, I consider anyone who has
                  > .0000000000001 percent Czech blood in them to be Czech, or perhaps
                  > were blessed to have married a Czech, which makes them Czech, too.  At
                  > least, according to my thinking, that is.  So, I wonder, what is the
                  > one single thing that makes us proud to be Czech.  For most of us,
                  > there are a thousand reasons.  But if you could only name one reason,
                  > and that's what I am asking for as a topic of discussion, what would
                  > that be?
                  >
                  > For me, it would be the values/character traits that were instilled in
                  > by parents, and perhaps were actually genetically passed on. I am
                  > thinking of the things like the importance of family and friends; the
                  > willingness to share your last penny with another, particular another
                  > Czech; honesty, being willing to work hard and for long hours; and
                  > best of all, the ability to have fun....

                  <<Message: %s>>