obit: Monsignor Arthur Michalka

  • Rosemary Ermis
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3, 2009

      Monsignor Arthur Michalka

      August 4, 1927 - January 13, 2009

      CAMERON – Monsignor Arthur Michalka, 81 of Waco and formerly of Cameron died Tuesday, January 13, 2009 in a Waco nursing facility. Funeral mass will be 11:30 a.m. Friday at St. Monica’s Catholic Church in Cameron with Bishop Gregory Aymond and Bishop John McCarthy officiating. Burial will follow in the St. Monica’s Cemetery. A wake service and rosary will be held Thursday from 6:00 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. at St. Monica’s Catholic Church.

      Monsignor Michalka was born August 4, 1927 in Cameron the seventh child in a family of eight to Frank and Marie (Kunz) Michalka. Of the four boys and four girls in the Michalka family, three became priests and one of the girls chose to join the nursing order of the Incarnate Word Sisters. After attending St. Anthony’s School and Yoe High School in Cameron Msgr. Michalka entered St. Mary’s Seminary in LaPorte, Texas. He was ordained on May 26, 1951 in St. Mary’s Church in Brenham. His first, very brief assignment was to St. Mary’s Church in Temple. Then followed a four-year stay at Sts. Cyril and Methodius Church in Granger. He then received an appointment to St. Mary’s in Taylor, which lasted seven years. He then served as pastor of St. Michael’s Church in Burlington with missions at St. Joseph’s in Cyclone and St. Ann’s in Rosebud. Then in 1967 he returned to Temple as pastor.

      A priest’s life is filled with caring and serving and as one looks back on Msgr. Michalka’s journey through the years, one is astounded by the numerous endeavors in which he engaged in addition to his priestly ministry. During the first eleven years of his priesthood he coached football, baseball and basketball in parochial schools in Granger and Taylor. At one time or another Monsignor had been choir director, athletic director for the diocesan CYO and active in Scouting. Msgr. Michalka had a great interest in youth work and throughout his life had worked with other priests of the diocese to get the CYO off to a good start. He had been a member of the diocesan liturgical commissions that implemented the liturgical changes resulting from Vatican II and for a short period he served as member of the marriage tribunal. He was a member of the Knights of Columbus since 1945 and diocesan priest moderator of the Diocesan Council of Catholic Women. He is survived by:

      Sister Christine Karnowski of Alcoa, Tenn.
      Numerous nieces, nephews and cousins

    • Valorie Michna
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4, 2009
        My family has known Father Arthur for many, many years.  My mother took catechism classes from him.  My family attended church in Temple, Salado, and Corn Hill where he was a pastor.  There is even a story from St Mary's school in Taylor when my dad got in trouble for something (no telling what) and when Father Arthur tried to discipline him, my dad just grinned like he had done nothing at all.  I think he baptized several of my cousins also.

        Father Arthur was a great man and a soul to be reconned with.  He will be missed.