What does being a Texas Czech mean to you?

  • Jana Vaculik
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 19, 2009
      During the year I work on and off on my Czech school project. One of
      my ideas I had trouble with was explaining some positive activites the
      students can do to express their Czech heritage. Examples, I mentioned
      were: you can bake kolace with your grandparents, learn how to dance
      the polka, visit festivals around the state, I just thought of it,
      maybe learning Czech at UT Austin, Texas A&M, or the Czech music
      program at University at North Texas.

      So what are some ideas you as members of this group might have about
      expressing your Czech heritage or things that you do personally?
      And how do feel about your Czech/Moravian ancestry? What does being a
      Texas Czech mean to you?

      If you could reply/answer to the list serve or email me I would
      appreciate it. I thought it be fun to hear your answers and we had not
      had a good topic/discussion. It would help me out and you do not have
      to reply immediately. Through out the year if something comes to you
      that's OK too.

      Thanks,
      Jana
    • Valorie Michna
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 19, 2009
        I didn't grow up speaking Czech or participating in any customs that were specifically from the old country, but here goes:

        1.  Kolaches (good ones and a lot of them) are a treat that we serve at weddings and special functions.  At my wedding we had 9 dozen and they didn't last long.
        2.  Weddings are family affairs that we have at a church, but receptions are a party where good food (BBQ), family, and music are plentiful.  The dance always begin with a grand march.  At my wedding, the leaders of the grand march actually choreagraphed it.  I have a awesome photo from above of the wedding party at the center of a spiral circling out as the guests spiraled in.
        3.  We believe in making our family and guests feel at home.  We always have something to eat or drink just in case.  My dad, uncles, cousins have spent many hours together hanging out, drinking a beer, or playing cards/horsehoes/football, etc.

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 19, 2009
            Valorie. The picture of my wife with kolace she just baked is part of my Tex-Czech Heritage.

            Allen Livanec

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 19, 2009
              At family get togethers  the   men and older boys competed  in a family horse shoe contest and you had better believe which of the brothers and sons won last year!  The best part, though, was when the horse shoes were put away a couple of shallow tin cans were placed  level with the ground and the younger contestants  pitched washers.  The men  kept score, making sure that their youngster didn't get a bad call on which washer was closer to the can and which was a leaner and which was in.  As I recall the little guys and girls had a bigger cheering  crowd than the menfolk?

              Guess it didn't take a lot of money to keep everyone happy back then?  Even though my vision is real bad I think I could give Sir John a pretty good run for his money!

              George
[...]

              Checked by AVG.
            • Sir John
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 19, 2009
                George,

                I Know you would beat me.at throwing washers.....

                Sir John, Earl of Berkshire