Re: Jenovefa Sasin and Valentine Holub

  • Laura Petter Pilgrim
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2009
      Hi again Valorie,

      I looked for Jenovefa Sasin by adding a letter "s" (Sassin) and found
      a copy of her obituary at:
      http://www.txgenweb3.org/txfayette/obituaries_a.htm
      I went to school in West Columbia, TX with a Sassin, which is why
      I thought to do this. Good luck with your research!

      Lolly Petter Pilgrim

      P.S. I have Michnas in my family tree too. An aunt, Carolina Petter
      (1907-1968)married Alphonse A. Michna (1910-1983). They had one son,
      named Melvin (1938-2007). His wife and daughter are still living.

      JENOVEFA SASSIN HOLUB
      Weimar Mercury

      Mrs. Holub Dies at the Age of 83 Years
      Mrs. Jenovefa Holub of the Dubina community died Tuesday, May 31, at
      the ripe old age of 83 years, and the remains were laid to rest in
      the Dubina Cemetery Wednesday moroning at 9 o'clock, Rev. Jos.
      Szymanski officiating. A large crowd of relatives and sympathizing
      friends attended the funeral.

      For a number of years Mrs. Holub had made her home with her son-in-
      law and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. Fr. J. Kocurek of Dubina. Before
      marriage to Mr. Holub she was a Mrs. Sassin and was the mother of the
      late Frank Sassin of this city. Mrs. Holub was a good, christian
      woman, devoted to her family and those about her, a true friend and
      neighbor, and was greatly beloved by all who knew her.

      Active pall bearers were Messrs. Ignac Hranicky, Hugo Koenig, Leo
      Hromadka, Julius Peter, Val. Cernoch and Anton Janecka.

      Mrs. Holub was the mother of nine children, five of who are dead —
      Mary, Teresa, Edward, Joseph and Frank. The surviving children are
      Mrs. Alois Holub, Mrs. Agnes Kocurek, Messrs. Cyril and Fred Sassin.

      Our heartfelt sympathy goes out to her bereaved ones.

      --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Valorie Michna <vmichna@...>
      wrote:

      > Does anyone know something about Jenovefa Sasin and Valentine
      Holub married in Fayette County 24 Jul 1905?  I am searching for a
      Jenovefa Sasin (parents Anton and Caroline Sasin) and wonder if this
      might be her.  Two other daughters from the same family were also
      married in Fayette County and I have accounted for them.

      > Thanks,
      >
      > Valorie Michna
      > Researching Michna and Sasin

    • Laura Petter Pilgrim
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2009
        Valorie,

        This may be your Jenovefa Sasin. The children listed are the same as
        the ones named in Jenovefa's obituary.

        Lolly Petter Pilgrim

        1900 United States Federal Census

        Name: Genoveva Sassin
        Home in 1900: Justice Precinct 8, Fayette, Texas
        Age: 54
        Birth Date: Sep 1845
        Birthplace: Bohemia
        Race: White
        Ethnicity: American
        Gender: Female
        Immigration Year: 1882
        Relationship to head-of-house: Head
        Father's Birthplace: Bohemia (probably Moravia)
        Mother's Birthplace: Bohemia (probably Moravia)
        Mother: number of living children: 6
        Mother: How many children: 9
        Marital Status: Widowed
        Residence : Justice Precinct 8 (All North of R.R. & East of Lagrange
        Rd.), Fayette, Texas
        Occupation: Farming
        Household Members:
        Name Age
        Genoveva Sassin 54
        Frank Sassin 21
        Aloisia Sassin 29
        Ciryl Sassin 18
        Agnes Sassin 14

        Source Citation: Year: 1900; Census Place: Justice Precinct 8,
        Fayette, Texas; Roll: T623_1635 Page: 11B; Enumeration District: 48.

        ================================><================================
        The family listed following this one (the next house the census taker
        visited) must be Genoveva Sassin's son, Joseph, who was already
        married and had his own family by 1900. (Also a son named Joseph is
        mentioned as a deceased son in Jenovefa's obit.) Three of her nine
        children have already died by 1900(see above).

        1900 United States Federal Census

        Name: Joseph Sassin
        Home in 1900: Justice Precinct 8, Fayette, Texas
        Age: 37
        Birth Date: May 1863
        Birthplace: Bohemia
        Race: White
        Ethnicity: American
        Gender: Male
        Immigration Year: 1882
        Relationship to head-of-house: Head
        Father's Birthplace: Bohemia
        Mother's Birthplace: Bohemia
        Spouse's Name: Margaret
        Marriage Year: 1889
        Marital Status: Married
        Years Married: 11
        Residence : Justice Precinct 8 (All North of R.R. & East of Lagrange
        Rd.), Fayette, Texas
        Occupation: Farming
        Household Members:
        Name Age
        Joseph Sassin 37
        Margaret Sassin 29
        Frank Sassin 11
        Mary Sassin 9
        Joseph Sassin 8
        Adolph Sassin 6
        Theofiel Sassin 5
        Margareta Sassin 3
        Peter Sassin 1

        Source Citation: Year: 1900; Census Place: Justice Precinct 8,
        Fayette, Texas; Roll: T623_1635 Page: 11B; Enumeration District: 48.
      • pfoster
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2009
          Go to Fayette and Colorado County 1880-1976 you will find different Holub and Sassin DCS plus some Census.  In Fayette County it has Valentine Holub DC.    Hope this helps.  paulasmaggie