Re: [TexasCzechs] Re: What in tarnation are "Kolaches" ???

  • pfoster
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 2009
      Try the Prune*Poppyseed*Cream Cheese.  Also, homemade bread.  I bought a loaf, froze it, and used it in my dressing at Christmas Time.  Best Dressing I have ever made.  Even my son-in-law took some home.  paulasmaggie
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 2009

        I love that store.

        Debbie Ondrasek

        wrote:

        > My red blooded American wife warned me not to start another issue
        > with Texans about food, but since this is not about chicken fried
        > steak or BBQ I am willing to take a change and hopefully will not
        get
        > booted from Texas !
        >
        > So, here it goes
        > What in tarnation are "Kolaches" ???
        >
        > I fell for "Best Kolaches in Texas " advertisement only to chew on
        > hot dog wrapped in donut dough. And I though they were called "pigs
        > in the blanket" in the rest of the USA .
        >
        > I have lived in Czech for 28 years of my life and had never had any
        > such food.
        >
        > But I have to admit – I have not seen these "kolaches" advertised
        as
        > Czech food in Texas .
        >
        > I would like to find out where did this
        > Czech named "food " - apparently native to Texas - originated.
        >

        > And here is some Czech lesson about "real" sweet treats void of any
        > meat:
        >
        > Koláè – singular
        > Koláèe – plural
        > Koláèek – singular diminutive
        > Koláèky – plural diminutive
        >
        > My favorite - bite size koláèky – freshly picked plums with cottage
        > cheese and hint of – what else – poppy seed filling!
        >
        > Mnoho stesti v Novem Roce
        >
        > Happy New Year !
        >
        > Vašek

        size=2 width="100%" align=center>

        Checked by AVG.

      • Glenn
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 2, 2009
          Denis, A pig in a blanket is just that.It is in no way shape or form
          the real thing.How pigs in a blanket ever became to be called kolache
          is beyond my undrestanding.My granny when I was a kid made the best
          kolache in the world as far as I'm concerned and they were the real
          thing.So you're right to get your dander up about pigs in a blanket
          being called kolaches,

          GMD500
        • Claudie Swiney
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 3, 2009

            Amen to that!! Every time I have to go to Victoria, Corpus etc. It costs me a small fortune. My Czech wife must have their cottgae cheese Kolaches.
            Claudie Swiney
            From: joejanecka@att. net
            Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 13:24:15 -0600

            "What in tarnation are "Kolaches" ???"

            They are THE pastry of the state of Texas.  Where in Texas did you live? Terlingua?  They are known throughout the state.
            Since we Texans have no diacriticals, the only way we know how to spell "kolač" is kolach.  Our ch is pronounced the same as č in Czech.  I know, "ch" is a separate letter in the Czech language, but not here in Texas.

            I must say, you got a bad batch of sausage kolaches from somewhere.  Texas Czechs make some of the best kolaches in the world.  Even frgaly!  Next time in Texas try the towns of West, Caldwell and others that you read about here on TexasCzechs.  You won't be disappointed.

            You were kidding? Right?

            Joe

[...]

            Send e-mail anywhere. No map, no compass. Get your Hotmail® account now.