Re: What in tarnation are “Kolaches” ???

  • janapivec
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2009
      Dear Vašek, it sounds as though you have adapted well into the Texas
      culture ("tarnation"!!)

      Americanized 'pigs in a blanket' are awful, aren't they? My mom has
      made her klobasnike using good quality country sausage wrapped in
      kolac dough. I did ask about 'sausage kolaches' when I visited the
      Czech Republic, and got blank stares. Kolaches were for only fruit
      and cheese.

      You might remember that many Czechs immigrated in the 1800's, and the
      food and the language they brought over were both stuck in the 19th
      century Czech heritage and influenced by their new Texan environment.
      I understand that modern Czech language is fairly different from
      Texas Czech. Differences in how flour and milk products were
      processed, the types of mushrooms and fruit available, changed how
      the food tastes, and may have been adapted. Is there any Czech pastry
      that combines sausage and kolac dough?

      I was surprised when I visited a Czech organization in California,
      and their kolace were like fruit Danish (not a sweet bread, but more
      a croissant-like pastry). The rohlicky (half-moon butter cookies) I
      had in the Czech Republic were dry and not as tender and tasty as my
      mother's.

      I too have fallen for 'Best in Texas Kolaches' advertisements, and
      have been sorely disappointed. "freshly picked plums with cottage
      cheese and hint of poppy seed filling" -- sounds heavenly! Do you
      have a recipe, or should we try to figure it out?

      A relative in the Czech Republic complains that her husband sends too
      many of their plums to be refined for his slivovice, and doesn't
      leave enough for her baking :-) Are Czech plums red, purple, or
      yellow? (My grandparents had a plum tree that produced small yellow
      plums--very tart, but they made a wonderful jam)

      Is it Texans and food, or Czechs and food? We both seem to be fairly
      passionate, and many happy family memories are food-bound. Many of my
      family gatherings are highlighted by venison. My soon-to-be 87-year-
      old dad shot a deer last weekend, and his shot cut the aorta, so that
      the deer bled out and dropped almost immediately. He said that the
      year did not seem to be complete unless he got his deer, and he
      pushed himself to near exhaustion dragging that deer out of the
      woods, and later cutting it into steaks, stew and sausage meat.
      Nothing is wasted.

      If you are near the Houston area, I hope that you and your 'red-
      blooded American wife' will gather with the Czech Heritage Society-
      Harris County Chapter for some of our events, meetings and Czech
      movies. I would like to meet you both. I would like to understand
      the 'divisions' in our shared Czech culture, caused by the centuries
      and the Atlantic Ocean, and integrate at least in my own mind those
      cultures.

      With all best wishes, Jana Pivec, aka Jan Esenwein

      --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "vaclav_sal" <vaclav_sal@...>
      wrote:

      > My red blooded American wife warned me not to start another issue
      > with Texans about food, but since this is not about chicken fried
      > steak or BBQ I am willing to take a change and hopefully will not
      get
      > booted from Texas!
      >
      > So, here it goes
      > What in tarnation are "Kolaches" ???
      >
      > I fell for "Best Kolaches in Texas " advertisement only to chew on
      > hot dog wrapped in donut dough. And I though they were called "pigs
      > in the blanket" in the rest of the USA.
      >
      > I have lived in Czech for 28 years of my life and had never had any
      > such food.
      >
      > But I have to admit – I have not seen these "kolaches" advertised
      as
      > Czech food in Texas.
      >
      > I would like to find out where did this
      > Czech named "food " - apparently native to Texas - originated.
      >

      > And here is some Czech lesson about "real" sweet treats void of any
      > meat:
      >
      > Koláè – singular
      > Koláèe – plural
      > Koláèek – singular diminutive
      > Koláèky – plural diminutive
      >
      > My favorite - bite size koláèky – freshly picked plums with cottage
      > cheese and hint of – what else – poppy seed filling!
      >
      > Mnoho stesti v Novem Roce
      >
      > Happy New Year !
      >
      > Vašek

    • Denis Muras
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2009
        I must chime in on this one. My Grandma Muras made kolache all the
        time. It was a staple for the family. It was a great break snack after
        being in the field all day. She also made what looked like a kolache
        pie. Same idea in a 9" pan.

        If you are in the Sealy area, the Farmhouse Bakery is run by a Czech
        and she make the real homemade kolache. Learned it from her
        grandmother and opened a shop to make the real thing...

        Denis Muras