RE: [TexasCzechs] Hana wedding

  • Cindy Neal
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 2009
      Jana, your videos are wonderful.  I loved the kroj pictures and especially the Czech Republic at Night

      You are very talented.

      Cindy

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 2, 2009
        I found this on the internet. My guess is that it is a symbol of life
        since it is green and fragrant and fertility. My parents had rosemary
        sprigs at their wedding in the 1980's then everyone started doing it
        in West. There is also a Czech folk song called Rosmarin zeleny or has
        that phrase I think.

        "Rosemary has a very old reputation for improving memory, and has been
        used as a symbol for remembrance (during weddings, war commemorations
        and funerals) in Europe.[citation needed] Mourners would throw it into
        graves as a symbol of remembrance for the dead. In Shakespeare's
        Hamlet, Ophelia says, "There's rosemary, that's for remembrance."
        (Hamlet, iv. 5.)"

        --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, livanec@... wrote:

        > Thank you for the slide show. I really enjoyed it. Wish I could
        attend a wedding like that. I love the Kroj! What was the purpose of
        the pinning of the rosemary?

        > Dekuji
        > Allen Livanec

      • janapivec
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 3, 2009
          Does anyone else remember wedding guests getting 'pinned' with sprigs
          of cedar at Czech weddings in Texas? I remember it from many of the
          weddings I attended in Fayetteville when I was young, and when I first
          read about the Czech custom using rosemary, I wondered if the cedar
          sprigs, also being green and fragrant, was a Texas adaptation.

          --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Jana Vaculik" <janavaculik@...>
          wrote:
          > I found this on the internet. My guess is that it is a symbol of life
          since it is green and fragrant and fertility. My parents had rosemary
          sprigs at their wedding in the 1980's then everyone started doing it in
          West. There is also a Czech folk song called Rosmarin zeleny or has
          that phrase I think.
        • Lois Petter Pereira
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 3, 2009
            yes i remember it being cedar too and you are probably right that it was an adaption. The only things I remembr being grown in our little area was bachelor buttons, poppies,parsley, maidenhairfern, roses and vegetables   ..lois

            Lois Petter Pereira

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 3, 2009
              Maidenhairfern! I remember what it looked like, but couldn't remember
              the name. I have wedding group pictures, and the bouquets are framed
              in maidenhairfern.

              --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Lois Petter Pereira

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 3, 2009
                yes and i forgot to mention the sweetheart roses. They are difficult to find anywhere else. you have to get cuttings of these miniature roses...lois

                Lois Petter Pereira

                <epereira@.. .> wrote:

                > yes i remember it being cedar too and you are probably right that
                it was an adaption. The only things I remembr being grown in our
                little area was bachelor buttons, poppies,parsley, maidenhairfern,
                roses and vegetables   ..lois

                > Lois Petter Pereira

              • DMAC Boer Goats
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 4, 2009
                  We had rosemary pin ons when we got married in the early 70's in West.  My brothers, sisters and cousins did too.
                  I never remember cedar pins on, only the rosemary, every since I was child.  That was one of my favorite things
                  about going to a wedding when I was a child was to get one of those, cause of the nice scent it put off.  My grandmother
                  had a rosemary bush planted in her garden entrance.  Many piece from that bush was used at weddings. Loved to rub it
                  to make it put off a scent.  I still grow rosemary myself just for the smell.  I was told long ago, that rosemary meant fertility
                  for the new couple.
                  Mary Soukup Holy

                  From: janapivec <jesenwei@mdanderson .org>
                  To: TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com
                  Date: Saturday, January 3, 2009, 9:45 AM

                  Does anyone else remember wedding guests getting 'pinned' with sprigs
                  of cedar at Czech weddings in Texas?

                • GILBERT BOHUSLAV
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 4, 2009
                    As a kid and when I got married we always used cedar for pin-ons.  Always tried to collect a little donation for the bride/groom.

                    Also while serving as an altar boy, in Ammansville,  we used to stand in the back of the church with a tassle rope in front of the door and an open box.  That was a collection for the church or maybe the priest.  I know we never got any of the money.

                    Don't know if that was done in other places