Re: [TexasCzechs] Hana wedding

  • livanec@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 2009
      8-)Thank you for the slide show. I really enjoyed it. Wish I could attend a wedding like that. I love the Kroj! What was the purpose of the pinning of the rosemary?

      Dekuji
      Allen Livanec

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 2009
        Jana, your videos are wonderful.  I loved the kroj pictures and especially the Czech Republic at Night

        You are very talented.

        Cindy

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 2, 2009
          I found this on the internet. My guess is that it is a symbol of life
          since it is green and fragrant and fertility. My parents had rosemary
          sprigs at their wedding in the 1980's then everyone started doing it
          in West. There is also a Czech folk song called Rosmarin zeleny or has
          that phrase I think.

          "Rosemary has a very old reputation for improving memory, and has been
          used as a symbol for remembrance (during weddings, war commemorations
          and funerals) in Europe.[citation needed] Mourners would throw it into
          graves as a symbol of remembrance for the dead. In Shakespeare's
          Hamlet, Ophelia says, "There's rosemary, that's for remembrance."
          (Hamlet, iv. 5.)"

          --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, livanec@... wrote:

          > Thank you for the slide show. I really enjoyed it. Wish I could
          attend a wedding like that. I love the Kroj! What was the purpose of
          the pinning of the rosemary?

          > Dekuji
          > Allen Livanec

        • janapivec
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 3, 2009
            Does anyone else remember wedding guests getting 'pinned' with sprigs
            of cedar at Czech weddings in Texas? I remember it from many of the
            weddings I attended in Fayetteville when I was young, and when I first
            read about the Czech custom using rosemary, I wondered if the cedar
            sprigs, also being green and fragrant, was a Texas adaptation.

            --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Jana Vaculik" <janavaculik@...>
            wrote:
            > I found this on the internet. My guess is that it is a symbol of life
            since it is green and fragrant and fertility. My parents had rosemary
            sprigs at their wedding in the 1980's then everyone started doing it in
            West. There is also a Czech folk song called Rosmarin zeleny or has
            that phrase I think.
          • Lois Petter Pereira
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 3, 2009
              yes i remember it being cedar too and you are probably right that it was an adaption. The only things I remembr being grown in our little area was bachelor buttons, poppies,parsley, maidenhairfern, roses and vegetables   ..lois

              Lois Petter Pereira

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 3, 2009
                Maidenhairfern! I remember what it looked like, but couldn't remember
                the name. I have wedding group pictures, and the bouquets are framed
                in maidenhairfern.

                --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Lois Petter Pereira

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 3, 2009
                  yes and i forgot to mention the sweetheart roses. They are difficult to find anywhere else. you have to get cuttings of these miniature roses...lois

                  Lois Petter Pereira

                  <epereira@.. .> wrote:

                  > yes i remember it being cedar too and you are probably right that
                  it was an adaption. The only things I remembr being grown in our
                  little area was bachelor buttons, poppies,parsley, maidenhairfern,
                  roses and vegetables   ..lois

                  > Lois Petter Pereira

                • DMAC Boer Goats
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 4, 2009
                    We had rosemary pin ons when we got married in the early 70's in West.  My brothers, sisters and cousins did too.
                    I never remember cedar pins on, only the rosemary, every since I was child.  That was one of my favorite things
                    about going to a wedding when I was a child was to get one of those, cause of the nice scent it put off.  My grandmother
                    had a rosemary bush planted in her garden entrance.  Many piece from that bush was used at weddings. Loved to rub it
                    to make it put off a scent.  I still grow rosemary myself just for the smell.  I was told long ago, that rosemary meant fertility
                    for the new couple.
                    Mary Soukup Holy

                    From: janapivec <jesenwei@mdanderson .org>
                    To: TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com
                    Date: Saturday, January 3, 2009, 9:45 AM

                    Does anyone else remember wedding guests getting 'pinned' with sprigs
                    of cedar at Czech weddings in Texas?

                  • GILBERT BOHUSLAV
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 4, 2009
                      As a kid and when I got married we always used cedar for pin-ons.  Always tried to collect a little donation for the bride/groom.

                      Also while serving as an altar boy, in Ammansville,  we used to stand in the back of the church with a tassle rope in front of the door and an open box.  That was a collection for the church or maybe the priest.  I know we never got any of the money.

                      Don't know if that was done in other places