Re: Czech words and terms

  • Jana Vaculik
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 31, 2008
      When my grandmother would visit the Czech Rep she would bring back a
      bag of poppy seed and we all knew we would have to take turns grinding
      it in our poppy seed grinder. I would hate do it but would love eating

      My mom knows a lot about geese. When taking piano lessons she would
      have to pass a neighbors house and every time she would walk pass the
      fence that goose would be there sniping at her.

      --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "SHines" <shines@...> wrote:
      > Thank you for your response. The links are interesting and I enjoy
      > at them. My mother never mentioned her mother preparing any sort of
      > Just Kolache. And always Poppy Seed. Grandmother must have raised the
      > poppies. And she had 11 children to pound the seeds for her. Mother said
      > they were always eager and willing to use the heavy cast iron pestle
      in the
      > mortar to pound those seeds. But she also remembered that she, and
      all her
      > brothers and sisters would tire quickly as well.
      > She told a story of her younger sister eating her fill of the seeds
      > pounding and before their mother found them. Aunt Lydia paid the
      price of
      > pretty painful constipation for that. Mother said none of them ever
      > that one again. I think perhaps someone may have put Aunt Lydia up
      to it.
      > Perhaps my mother. They were next to each other in birth line, and were
      > always contentious, until the ends of their days.
      > I know the flours were different. Grandmother Bursik came to the US
      as a 12
      > year old, so none of her children were familiar with the flour of
      her home.
      > I don't know that she did much cooking before she came over, either.
      She was
      > a gooseherd. I think she learned her cooking from her sister in
      Nebraska who