Re: [TexasCzechs] What in tarnation are "Kolac hes" ???

  • Joe Janecka
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 31, 2008
      "What in tarnation are "Kolaches" ???"

      They are THE pastry of the state of Texas.  Where in Texas did you live? Terlingua?  They are known throughout the state.
      Since we Texans have no diacriticals, the only way we know how to spell "kolač" is kolach.  Our ch is pronounced the same as č in Czech.  I know, "ch" is a separate letter in the Czech language, but not here in Texas.

      I must say, you got a bad batch of sausage kolaches from somewhere.  Texas Czechs make some of the best kolaches in the world.  Even frgaly!  Next time in Texas try the towns of West, Caldwell and others that you read about here on TexasCzechs.  You won't be disappointed.

      You were kidding? Right?

      Joe

      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 31, 2008
        Prasek's in Hillje also has good kolaches.

        Matt Cross
        lennonluv@...

        To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com

[...]

        Send e-mail anywhere. No map, no compass. Get your Hotmail® account now.
      • Dora Smith
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 31, 2008
          I've honestly not encountered them since leaving Buffalo. Not that it took long to put on 40 pounds and learn I'm prediabetic; that was the end of eating fattening looking things.

          Yours,
          Dora Smith
          Austin, TX
          tiggernut24@...
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 31, 2008
            I only encounter Kolache in my own kitchen. And only about every 4 or 5
            years. My grandmother was unable to cook by the time I was born. She was
            bedfast. My mother never made any Kolache. The only other place (than my own
            kitchen) that I saw them was at the Czech meetings that my mom drug us kids
            to. We were only there for the treats. I can't say I was impressed, even as
            an 8 year old, with the local production of home made Kolache, of any
            flavor.

            And Mother knew and insisted that KolacheS is improper usage. My apology if
            I offended by copying that bad usage here. There is no such term or word.
            She did know, and teach me, that one is Kolach, and more than one are
            Kolache. I don't absorb languages well, but my memory did bring that back to
            me. Grandfather Bursik, who died before I was born, was a language stickler.
            Mother said he carried his pocket Czech/English (or other way around)
            dictionary with him all the time. He had an unabridged Oxford dictionary in
            the living room to refer to. He also served on the

            But Mother wanted Poppy seed, and she wasn't about to pound them out in the
            mortar and pestle. I bought the canned poppy seed filling, which, although
            wasn't what I thought it should be, tasted far better than the local home
            made prune fillings that seemed to be the only kind the local women knew how
            to make.

            So, because I had no coffee mill to grind them with, I soaked them in milk
            overnight and made cake and bread of the poppy seeds. We loved them, and
            still do.

            I live in Western Oregon, far from your Texas communities. And when we used
            to travel to Texas every summer because my dad haled from West Texas Mother
            knew nothing of the Czech communities there. Or she would have been
            traveling the hill country looking for the flavors of her childhood.

            Sorry for the ramble. I'm getting older and that's what old brains do. No
            excuse, my brain did it when I was young, too.

            May we all have a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous (in whatever way possible)
            New year,

            Sally

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 31, 2008
                I remember eating these at my Grandma's all the time when I was little.  She lived next door to me and that was convenient.  I remember my Daddy calling the sausage ones "klobasnekies".  those were the good ole days!  My favorite are the prune and cream cheese!  One of the others was the poppy seed rolls my Grandma made.  The poppy seed  filling was completely encased in the kolache dough and they looked like little logs.  Those were good, too!

                Mary Ann Wisian

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 1, 2009
                  8-)A lot of people on this sight know how to make real Kolache. I'm sure they would share their recipe with you and your wife. I you want to make real kolache it can get involved but it is worth it. My wife taught me how to make them and If I can you can . My kolache are not as good as my Bomenian wifes but she has 40+ years of experience on me.

                   Allen Livanec

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 1, 2009
                    Try the Prune*Poppyseed*Cream Cheese.  Also, homemade bread.  I bought a loaf, froze it, and used it in my dressing at Christmas Time.  Best Dressing I have ever made.  Even my son-in-law took some home.  paulasmaggie
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 1, 2009

                      I love that store.

                      Debbie Ondrasek

                      wrote:

                      > My red blooded American wife warned me not to start another issue
                      > with Texans about food, but since this is not about chicken fried
                      > steak or BBQ I am willing to take a change and hopefully will not
                      get
                      > booted from Texas !
                      >
                      > So, here it goes
                      > What in tarnation are "Kolaches" ???
                      >
                      > I fell for "Best Kolaches in Texas " advertisement only to chew on
                      > hot dog wrapped in donut dough. And I though they were called "pigs
                      > in the blanket" in the rest of the USA .
                      >
                      > I have lived in Czech for 28 years of my life and had never had any
                      > such food.
                      >
                      > But I have to admit – I have not seen these "kolaches" advertised
                      as
                      > Czech food in Texas .
                      >
                      > I would like to find out where did this
                      > Czech named "food " - apparently native to Texas - originated.
                      >

                      > And here is some Czech lesson about "real" sweet treats void of any
                      > meat:
                      >
                      > Koláè – singular
                      > Koláèe – plural
                      > Koláèek – singular diminutive
                      > Koláèky – plural diminutive
                      >
                      > My favorite - bite size koláèky – freshly picked plums with cottage
                      > cheese and hint of – what else – poppy seed filling!
                      >
                      > Mnoho stesti v Novem Roce
                      >
                      > Happy New Year !
                      >
                      > Vašek

                      size=2 width="100%" align=center>

                      Checked by AVG.

                    • Glenn
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 2, 2009
                        Denis, A pig in a blanket is just that.It is in no way shape or form
                        the real thing.How pigs in a blanket ever became to be called kolache
                        is beyond my undrestanding.My granny when I was a kid made the best
                        kolache in the world as far as I'm concerned and they were the real
                        thing.So you're right to get your dander up about pigs in a blanket
                        being called kolaches,

                        GMD500
                      • Claudie Swiney
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 3, 2009

                          Amen to that!! Every time I have to go to Victoria, Corpus etc. It costs me a small fortune. My Czech wife must have their cottgae cheese Kolaches.
                          Claudie Swiney

                          lennonluv@hotmail. com

                          To: TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com