What in tarnation are “Kolaches” ???

  • vaclav_sal
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 2008
      My red blooded American wife warned me not to start another issue
      with Texans about food, but since this is not about chicken fried
      steak or BBQ I am willing to take a change and hopefully will not get
      booted from Texas!

      So, here it goes
      What in tarnation are "Kolaches" ???

      I fell for "Best Kolaches in Texas " advertisement only to chew on
      hot dog wrapped in donut dough. And I though they were called "pigs
      in the blanket" in the rest of the USA.

      I have lived in Czech for 28 years of my life and had never had any
      such food.

      But I have to admit – I have not seen these "kolaches" advertised as
      Czech food in Texas.

      I would like to find out where did this
      Czech named "food " - apparently native to Texas - originated.

      And here is some Czech lesson about "real" sweet treats void of any
      meat:

      Koláè – singular
      Koláèe – plural
      Koláèek – singular diminutive
      Koláèky – plural diminutive

      My favorite - bite size koláèky – freshly picked plums with cottage
      cheese and hint of – what else – poppy seed filling!

      Mnoho stesti v Novem Roce

      Happy New Year !

      Vašek
    • Janecek
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 31, 2008
         Greetings from a Texas Czech Moravian!

        In Texas the little sweet raised dough threat  served in a little bun with a fruit or cheese filling on top or poppy seed filling inside has an  American spelling is called a kolach which is like your   Koláèek – singular diminutive.  .However, the English plural form -es is added and becomes kolaches.

        In America also the plural of the small ones are some times called kolacki. like your Koláèky – plural diminutive.

        Pieces of farm sausage placed in little raised raised dough buns are called kobasnek(s).

        These are American or Texas transliterations.  You must also remember that many of the Czech in Texas are Moravians so this may have an influence on their dialect as well as American phonetics.

        Happy New Year!

        In peace,
        Otec Beda

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2009
          Dear Vašek, it sounds as though you have adapted well into the Texas
          culture ("tarnation"!!)

          Americanized 'pigs in a blanket' are awful, aren't they? My mom has
          made her klobasnike using good quality country sausage wrapped in
          kolac dough. I did ask about 'sausage kolaches' when I visited the
          Czech Republic, and got blank stares. Kolaches were for only fruit
          and cheese.

          You might remember that many Czechs immigrated in the 1800's, and the
          food and the language they brought over were both stuck in the 19th
          century Czech heritage and influenced by their new Texan environment.
          I understand that modern Czech language is fairly different from
          Texas Czech. Differences in how flour and milk products were
          processed, the types of mushrooms and fruit available, changed how
          the food tastes, and may have been adapted. Is there any Czech pastry
          that combines sausage and kolac dough?

          I was surprised when I visited a Czech organization in California,
          and their kolace were like fruit Danish (not a sweet bread, but more
          a croissant-like pastry). The rohlicky (half-moon butter cookies) I
          had in the Czech Republic were dry and not as tender and tasty as my
          mother's.

          I too have fallen for 'Best in Texas Kolaches' advertisements, and
          have been sorely disappointed. "freshly picked plums with cottage
          cheese and hint of poppy seed filling" -- sounds heavenly! Do you
          have a recipe, or should we try to figure it out?

          A relative in the Czech Republic complains that her husband sends too
          many of their plums to be refined for his slivovice, and doesn't
          leave enough for her baking :-) Are Czech plums red, purple, or
          yellow? (My grandparents had a plum tree that produced small yellow
          plums--very tart, but they made a wonderful jam)

          Is it Texans and food, or Czechs and food? We both seem to be fairly
          passionate, and many happy family memories are food-bound. Many of my
          family gatherings are highlighted by venison. My soon-to-be 87-year-
          old dad shot a deer last weekend, and his shot cut the aorta, so that
          the deer bled out and dropped almost immediately. He said that the
          year did not seem to be complete unless he got his deer, and he
          pushed himself to near exhaustion dragging that deer out of the
          woods, and later cutting it into steaks, stew and sausage meat.
          Nothing is wasted.

          If you are near the Houston area, I hope that you and your 'red-
          blooded American wife' will gather with the Czech Heritage Society-
          Harris County Chapter for some of our events, meetings and Czech
          movies. I would like to meet you both. I would like to understand
          the 'divisions' in our shared Czech culture, caused by the centuries
          and the Atlantic Ocean, and integrate at least in my own mind those
          cultures.

          With all best wishes, Jana Pivec, aka Jan Esenwein

          --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "vaclav_sal" <vaclav_sal@...>
          wrote:

          > My red blooded American wife warned me not to start another issue
          > with Texans about food, but since this is not about chicken fried
          > steak or BBQ I am willing to take a change and hopefully will not
          get
          > booted from Texas!
          >
          > So, here it goes
          > What in tarnation are "Kolaches" ???
          >
          > I fell for "Best Kolaches in Texas " advertisement only to chew on
          > hot dog wrapped in donut dough. And I though they were called "pigs
          > in the blanket" in the rest of the USA.
          >
          > I have lived in Czech for 28 years of my life and had never had any
          > such food.
          >
          > But I have to admit – I have not seen these "kolaches" advertised
          as
          > Czech food in Texas.
          >
          > I would like to find out where did this
          > Czech named "food " - apparently native to Texas - originated.
          >

          > And here is some Czech lesson about "real" sweet treats void of any
          > meat:
          >
          > Koláè – singular
          > Koláèe – plural
          > Koláèek – singular diminutive
          > Koláèky – plural diminutive
          >
          > My favorite - bite size koláèky – freshly picked plums with cottage
          > cheese and hint of – what else – poppy seed filling!
          >
          > Mnoho stesti v Novem Roce
          >
          > Happy New Year !
          >
          > Vašek

        • Denis Muras
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2009
            I must chime in on this one. My Grandma Muras made kolache all the
            time. It was a staple for the family. It was a great break snack after
            being in the field all day. She also made what looked like a kolache
            pie. Same idea in a 9" pan.

            If you are in the Sealy area, the Farmhouse Bakery is run by a Czech
            and she make the real homemade kolache. Learned it from her
            grandmother and opened a shop to make the real thing...

            Denis Muras