Jenovefa Sasin and Valentine Holub

  • Valorie Michna
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 31, 2008
      Does anyone know something about Jenovefa Sasin and Valentine Holub married in Fayette County 24 Jul 1905?  I am searching for a Jenovefa Sasin (parents Anton and Caroline Sasin) and wonder if this might be her.  Two other daughters from the same family were also married in Fayette County and I have accounted for them.

      Thanks,

      Valorie Michna
      Researching Michna and Sasin

    • FayeLee39@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 31, 2008
        Valorie,

        Valentin Holub was my Gr Gr grandfathers cousin, both from Misni Moravia.  Jakub Holub immigrated to America in 1855 coming in through NY, while Valentin came in through Galveston in 1856.  Valentin Holub was married to Theresia Koza and they had 9 children.  After his first wife's death he married Jenovefa Sassin who was born in 1844 and died 31 May 1927.  Both Jenovefa and Valentin are buried in the Dubina Cemetery.  Jenovefa's first husband is also buried there.  I do not recall his name.  I do not have any information on her parents.  There is an article on her in the Weimar Mercury archives of 3 June 1927- date of her burial.  The Weimar Mercury news is archived in the Nesbitt Library in Columbus, Tx and has archives on line about many details of the past.

        I have this info, because I try to keep track of many of the Holub lines in south Texas ( and I have a long way to go on that)

        I have a picture of Jenovefa's burial marker somewhere in my files, if you are interested in a picture of it.

        Hope this helps,

        Cullis

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 1, 2009
          Thanks for all of the info, guys.  I don't know if Ihave found my person yet, but at least some of the blanks have been filled in.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 1, 2009
            Hi again Valorie,

            I looked for Jenovefa Sasin by adding a letter "s" (Sassin) and found
            a copy of her obituary at:
            http://www.txgenweb3.org/txfayette/obituaries_a.htm
            I went to school in West Columbia, TX with a Sassin, which is why
            I thought to do this. Good luck with your research!

            Lolly Petter Pilgrim

            P.S. I have Michnas in my family tree too. An aunt, Carolina Petter
            (1907-1968)married Alphonse A. Michna (1910-1983). They had one son,
            named Melvin (1938-2007). His wife and daughter are still living.

            JENOVEFA SASSIN HOLUB
            Weimar Mercury

            Mrs. Holub Dies at the Age of 83 Years
            Mrs. Jenovefa Holub of the Dubina community died Tuesday, May 31, at
            the ripe old age of 83 years, and the remains were laid to rest in
            the Dubina Cemetery Wednesday moroning at 9 o'clock, Rev. Jos.
            Szymanski officiating. A large crowd of relatives and sympathizing
            friends attended the funeral.

            For a number of years Mrs. Holub had made her home with her son-in-
            law and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. Fr. J. Kocurek of Dubina. Before
            marriage to Mr. Holub she was a Mrs. Sassin and was the mother of the
            late Frank Sassin of this city. Mrs. Holub was a good, christian
            woman, devoted to her family and those about her, a true friend and
            neighbor, and was greatly beloved by all who knew her.

            Active pall bearers were Messrs. Ignac Hranicky, Hugo Koenig, Leo
            Hromadka, Julius Peter, Val. Cernoch and Anton Janecka.

            Mrs. Holub was the mother of nine children, five of who are dead —
            Mary, Teresa, Edward, Joseph and Frank. The surviving children are
            Mrs. Alois Holub, Mrs. Agnes Kocurek, Messrs. Cyril and Fred Sassin.

            Our heartfelt sympathy goes out to her bereaved ones.

            --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Valorie Michna <vmichna@...>
            wrote:

            > Does anyone know something about Jenovefa Sasin and Valentine
            Holub married in Fayette County 24 Jul 1905?  I am searching for a
            Jenovefa Sasin (parents Anton and Caroline Sasin) and wonder if this
            might be her.  Two other daughters from the same family were also
            married in Fayette County and I have accounted for them.

            > Thanks,
            >
            > Valorie Michna
            > Researching Michna and Sasin

          • Laura Petter Pilgrim
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 1, 2009
              Valorie,

              This may be your Jenovefa Sasin. The children listed are the same as
              the ones named in Jenovefa's obituary.

              Lolly Petter Pilgrim

              1900 United States Federal Census

              Name: Genoveva Sassin
              Home in 1900: Justice Precinct 8, Fayette, Texas
              Age: 54
              Birth Date: Sep 1845
              Birthplace: Bohemia
              Race: White
              Ethnicity: American
              Gender: Female
              Immigration Year: 1882
              Relationship to head-of-house: Head
              Father's Birthplace: Bohemia (probably Moravia)
              Mother's Birthplace: Bohemia (probably Moravia)
              Mother: number of living children: 6
              Mother: How many children: 9
              Marital Status: Widowed
              Residence : Justice Precinct 8 (All North of R.R. & East of Lagrange
              Rd.), Fayette, Texas
              Occupation: Farming
              Household Members:
              Name Age
              Genoveva Sassin 54
              Frank Sassin 21
              Aloisia Sassin 29
              Ciryl Sassin 18
              Agnes Sassin 14

              Source Citation: Year: 1900; Census Place: Justice Precinct 8,
              Fayette, Texas; Roll: T623_1635 Page: 11B; Enumeration District: 48.

              ================================><================================
              The family listed following this one (the next house the census taker
              visited) must be Genoveva Sassin's son, Joseph, who was already
              married and had his own family by 1900. (Also a son named Joseph is
              mentioned as a deceased son in Jenovefa's obit.) Three of her nine
              children have already died by 1900(see above).

              1900 United States Federal Census

              Name: Joseph Sassin
              Home in 1900: Justice Precinct 8, Fayette, Texas
              Age: 37
              Birth Date: May 1863
              Birthplace: Bohemia
              Race: White
              Ethnicity: American
              Gender: Male
              Immigration Year: 1882
              Relationship to head-of-house: Head
              Father's Birthplace: Bohemia
              Mother's Birthplace: Bohemia
              Spouse's Name: Margaret
              Marriage Year: 1889
              Marital Status: Married
              Years Married: 11
              Residence : Justice Precinct 8 (All North of R.R. & East of Lagrange
              Rd.), Fayette, Texas
              Occupation: Farming
              Household Members:
              Name Age
              Joseph Sassin 37
              Margaret Sassin 29
              Frank Sassin 11
              Mary Sassin 9
              Joseph Sassin 8
              Adolph Sassin 6
              Theofiel Sassin 5
              Margareta Sassin 3
              Peter Sassin 1

              Source Citation: Year: 1900; Census Place: Justice Precinct 8,
              Fayette, Texas; Roll: T623_1635 Page: 11B; Enumeration District: 48.
            • pfoster
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 2, 2009
                Go to Fayette and Colorado County 1880-1976 you will find different Holub and Sassin DCS plus some Census.  In Fayette County it has Valentine Holub DC.    Hope this helps.  paulasmaggie