Re: Sugarek Road and the Sugarek Family

  • nancy sugarek
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 28, 2008
      Dear Members,

      It has been awhile since I was on the list. (after my email address
      was changed at work) I am replying to a request from 2000 asking
      that I fix the spacing on something that I had written earlier and I
      happily did so tonight... amazing what a vacation will do for

      Could I please be added back to the list but with this address:

      Here is the repaired text (written prior to 2000)

      "I grew up on what is now Sugarek Road and can share the history
      of it's naming and the family for which it is named.
      Until very recently the road that runs between Highway 59
      (parallel to the Beeville Municipal Airport runway) and Farm to
      Market Road 888 had no name. We just called it "the lane" . Our
      farm was at the corner formed by this road and FM
      (Jeff Foxworthy has been quoted as saying that "you know you're a
      redneck if any part of the directions to your home include the
      words 'and when you leave the paved road'". I would like to add, and
      if that road has no name. With that description we could proudly
      call ourselves "rednecks".)
      In the 1970's my mother and I accidentally set our laundry room
      on fire and had to call the fire department. The only address she
      could give the dispatcher was to tell him that "It is at Allen
      Sugarek's house. Most of the firemen know where that is." The
      Beeville Volunteer Fire Department, many of whom were family friends,
      did get there and all turned out well.
      In recent years as the state began naming roads for the EMS
      system,this one was named "South Airport Road". This initially
      seemed a good idea (as the road did run by the airport). However,
      Beeville already had another Airport Road(across town leading to what
      had been the town's original airport). Two "Airport Roads" in a town
      of under 14,000 people, became a bit confusing.
      My dad tells me that he pointed this out to his county
      commissioner who offered to rename the road and asked my dad if he
      would like to call it Sugarek Road or Sugarek Drive. (The county
      road crews had long been calling it "Sugarek Road" when they needed
      to describe the location.) Thus the name was changed and it became
      "Sugarek Road".
      Now for the family for which it was named. The land for the
      south end of the road had been donated to the county by my
      grandfather, Charlie Sugarek. My dad tells me that he thinks that
      the land at the north end of the road was donated by another of Bee
      County's Czech settlers, Mr. Kubala. This history of our branch of
      the Sugarek family comes from a variety of sources, including an
      excellent family
      history by Robert Janak and a collection of obituaries, oral
      histories and my own memory and experiences. Many thanks to Mr.
      Janak for his comprehensive chronicles of the Sugarek Family.
      Frantisek Sugarek of Klokocov Moravia was born in 1819. He and
      his wife had a son and a daughter, Charles (1849-1932) and Maryjanna
      (1844-1908), both born in Kuncice. After his wife's death he married
      Barbora Simicek. They sailed to Galveston,Texas in 1856, settled at
      Hostyn and later at the Content Community in Colorado County.
      Frantisek and Barbora had two daughters, Veronica and Anna. In
      1863, while protecting his home and family from a gun wielding
      neighbor, Frantisek Sugarek was shot and killed. Now Charles and
      Maryjanna were orphans. Maryjanna married and Charles left for South
      Texas. Oral history tells us that the young man worked cattle drives
      during the civil war and roamed southern Texas for twelve years after
      his father's death. In 1877 Charles married Amalie (Mollie) Horak in
      Praha, Texas. Mollie Horak, born in Austin County in 1856, has been
      said to be the first Czech girl to be born in Texas and at the end of
      her life in 1951 she was said to be the oldest Czech woman living in
      Charles half sister Veronica and her husband Josef Barton had
      purchased a farm in Bee County Texas in 1889. They then sold this
      farm to Charles in 1890. Charles and Mollie Sugarek farmed this land
      and raised a daughter and four sons:
      Mary Sugarek Longeno, Jim, Charles (Charlie), Lydmul and Ed Sugarek.
      The youngest son, Ed was killed in France during World War I. A
      memorial plaque hangs in his memory in the Bee County Court House.
      Both Jim and Charlie were farmers. Jim married Lill Holik of
      Burleson County (Caldwell) and Charlie married Lill's younger sister,
      Anna Holik an "old maid" schoolteacher (her description of
      herself),also of Burleson County. Lill and Jim Sugarek had four
      sons, three of which, Edward, Randolph and Joseph Charles (JC) all
      farmed in Bee County. The fourth son Dick made his home in
      Lubbock. Anna and Charlie had three sons: Charles, career Air
      Force, Bruce, a welder and Allen. At the age of 75 years, Allen
      continues to farm the family farm in Bee County. Allen is my dad.
      The farm is on Sugarek Road. And now we are back to how Sugarek Road
      got its name.
      Thank you for asking, and for being interested. I have enjoyed
      being part of this family and looking at family history.
      Sincerely, Nancy Sugarek"

      2008 Updated information from the above:
      My father, Charlie and Anna's son, Allen Sugarek, continued to farm
      our family land until shortly before his death in 2003. My mother
      and I continue to have our family's portion of the farm in
      Lill and Jim's son Edward continued the farming tradition on their
      portion of the land, and has been followed by Edward's son Mark, and
      Mark's son, Jim (a five generation farming legacy).
      We have lost most of my father's generation and are blessed to have
      the two remaining cousins, C.Bruce Sugarek, who will turn 80 this
      January and Edward L. Sugarek, who will be 84 in January.

      Nancy Sugarek