Domesticated guineafowl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  • gpatrick
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 24, 2008
      Hi All,
      Does anyone remember having guineas  on their grandparents farm?  They were big in bell County.  My grandmother had  quite a few.  They had several  purposes.  First of all, they hated snakes and killed everyone they ran across--either  good or bad snakes didn't  matter.  The only thing that hated snakes worse was my grandmother so she and the guinea  got along well.

      They were also "Watch Birds".  If anything unusual came around the house they made one  bad disturbance.  I think they were louder and more threatening than they were mean?

      Now, whether or not the eggs or meat was fit to eat I don't know?  Seems I remember seeing them around all of the farm houses?

      George
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domesticated_guineafowl
    • pfoster
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 24, 2008
        George, Grandmamma knew a sister and brother in Dime Box where she would buy the guinea after it had been dressed.  She would make the best soup with Kolaches.
        Thank-you for the memory.  paulasmaggie

      • sissonltd@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 24, 2008
          George that rings a bell!  Granny Anna Dusek Dusek and Granny Ancinec had them all over the place on their farms in Bell County--according to mother anyway and she would know; she grew up at Red Ranger.  Granny Dusek would go after the guinea with a wooden spoon so she could get the eggs out of the nest....not sure what she did with the eggs though.  They built nests on the ground or in bushes.

          Mother said when they found large chicken snakes they would go get a neighbor Fred Simek to pull them out of hiding and snap their heads off and then leave the heads on fence posts.  This was way back in the 20's and 30's in Bell County.

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 24, 2008
            As much as my cousins and I liked to play in the barn we had to put up with the big "chicken Snake" because    according to my grandfather the snake ate the mice and rats in the barn.  But even though we knew he was harmless he still scared the heck out of us when we hid  in some dark place in the barn for "Hide and Seek" and found the big fellow  coiled up next to us!  When we complained granddad would always do the "red and yellow kill a fellow, red and black venom lack" thing.

            George

            From: "gpatrick" <GPATRICK@austin. rr.com>

            Hi All,
            Does anyone remember having guineas  on their grandparents farm?  They were big in bell County.  My grandmother had  quite a few.  They had several  purposes.  First of all, they hated snakes and killed everyone they ran across--either  good or bad snakes didn't  matter.  The only thing that hated snakes worse was my grandmother so she and the guinea  got along well.

            They were also "Watch Birds".  If anything unusual came around the house they made one  bad disturbance.  I think they were louder and more threatening than they were mean?

            Now, whether or not the eggs or meat was fit to eat I don't know?  Seems I remember seeing them around all of the farm houses?

            George
            http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Domesticated_ guineafowl

            Checked by AVG.
          • sissonltd@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 24, 2008
              Seems like grandpa was pretty wise....Granny Rose Ancinec(Rose Dusek Ancinec) used to put porcelain doorknobs in the chicken nest....she would check the nests frequently and when she found the knob gone she would go hunt for a dead snake nearby that had wrapped itself around a tree to crush the "egg"....chicken snakes of course ate the chicken eggs...she would cut the snake open with a hatchet, take the knob out and clean it on her apron and put it back in the nest and went back to whatever she was doing.  I miss her so much; there is so much I needed to learn from her that I never did because I was born and raised in Oregon and by the time I was on my own and lived in TX for a spell, she was already pretty up in age and a lot she could not remember...mother had written down much of their life history and experiences in book form but even mother now is losing her marbles slowly so time is precious.

              I hope you record your memories for the future...it is SO important for our childrens history whether they recognize it or not.

              From: "gpatrick" <GPATRICK@...>

              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 24, 2008
                We had both guineas and peafowl... Momma always used guinea eggs for her noodles... they're almost solid yolk!!!  We had one guinea hen that would always set on eggs in an old wringer washer in a tool shed... problem was every other "bird" on the place would lay their egg in there... she would spend her whole day pushing and pulling eggs under herself, trying to keep them all covered... that poor guinea would then try to ride herd on a brood consisting of guineas, domineckers, bantys, muscovie and mallard ducks, peafowl, and an occasional turkey.
                Guineas do indeed kill (and eat) snakes... they also would eat ticks and red ants... the bad thing, is they also ate lizards and horny toads.
                One memory I have is sitting at the table eating and my mother asking, "What in blazes is that pinging sound?"  We finally figured out it was a flock of guineas pecking at the brand new "Baby Moon" hubcaps on my Dodge Coronet.

                Buster

                From: "gpatrick" <GPATRICK@austin. rr.com>

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 24, 2008
                  Hi Buster,
                  I sure wish you hadn't mentioned "Banty"!  I had forgotten the Banty rooster on my Grandma Petrek's farm in Bell County.  Meanist piece of chicken flesh  The Good Lord ever put on the face of His Earth.    Grandma didn't have indoor plumbing  and the outhouse was about 300 feet or so from the main house.  The  Banty  rooster lived in harmony among the  guinea flock, trying to disguise  himself as one of them.  His evil eyes watched the door waiting  for one of us kids to make the mad dash for the outhouse.  When we jumped off  the poarch running he jumped from the flock, also  running and flapping his little wings and screaming like a banchee(sp, I know).  He was expert at landing on top of the head of his victim , grasping claws filled with hair, and croaking that evil croak of his..  For years  I had  bad dreams  about the little devil.

                  In later years, I learned that my Moravian dad and his two brothers had bought the little fellow  for the exact purpose.  They would pretend  that they were just sitting under thegiant  elm tree in the yard, talking and enjoying the cold beer.  However, when one of us would head for the outhouse  they would watch the ordeal with great pleasure.  I guess I should have wondered why the little rooster never bothered them???  I guess Czech fellows do have to have a little fun  ever once in a while.

                  George
                  ----------

                  From: "gpatrick" <GPATRICK@austin. rr.com>

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 24, 2008
                    Oh, yes they do!  Grandpa Ancinec trained his pet goat to butt people in the behind when they came to the town watering hole in Halenkovice--this was before he came to America!  Years when grandpa went back to visit Halenkovice, Moravia an old man remembered grandpa--and it had been many years since he had seen him and the pesky goat.  Grandpa taught that goat to especially plague that poor man--I guess sometimes it really is hard to forget a face!  Thankfully grandpa did not get to bring the goat to Bell County!

                    From: "gpatrick" <GPATRICK@austin. rr.com>

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 1, 2009
                      I have my grandmother's recipe for egg noodles, and yes, she kept
                      guineas, and she put porcelain door knobs in her hen nests, and my
                      mom confirms that she used guineas for her soup, so I really enjoyed
                      the discussion of guineas around the farm.

                      I am putting together a recipe/memory book for the Harris County
                      Chapter of the Czech Heritage Society. We plan to have it ready for
                      our SpringFest (April 19, SPJST Lodge 88, 1435 Beall Street in
                      Houston). I would like permission to use some of your posted
                      comments about guineas that provoked powerful memories for me.

                      I would also like to invite you to contribute family recipes and the
                      associated memories -- I remember the rolled-out egg noodles draped
                      over a kitchen towel, drying over the back of a ladder-back chair,
                      and the Bozi Milosti my Stara fixed when we came to visit. If you
                      would like to share special recipes and special memories, I know that
                      others in our Texas Czech community would be warmed by them.

                      With all best wishes, jana pivec

                      --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, sissonltd@... wrote:

                      > Oh, yes they do! Grandpa Ancinec trained his pet goat to butt
                      people in the behind when they came to the town watering hole in
                      Halenkovice--this was before he came to America! Years when grandpa
                      went back to visit Halenkovice, Moravia an old man remembered grandpa-
                      -and it had been many years since he had seen him and the pesky
                      goat. Grandpa taught that goat to especially plague that poor man--I
                      guess sometimes it really is hard to forget a face! Thankfully
                      grandpa did not get to bring the goat to Bell County!

                      > From: "gpatrick" <GPATRICK@...>
                      > Hi Buster,
                      > I sure wish you hadn't mentioned "Banty"! I had forgotten the
                      Banty rooster on my Grandma Petrek's farm in Bell County. Meanist
                      piece of chicken flesh The Good Lord ever put on the face of His
                      Earth. Grandma didn't have indoor plumbing and the outhouse was
                      about 300 feet or so from the main house. The Banty rooster lived
                      in harmony among the guinea flock, trying to disguise himself as
                      one of them. His evil eyes watched the door waiting for one of us
                      kids to make the mad dash for the outhouse. When we jumped off the
                      poarch running he jumped from the flock, also running and flapping
                      his little wings and screaming like a banchee(sp, I know). He was
                      expert at landing on top of the head of his victim , grasping claws
                      filled with hair, and croaking that evil croak of his.. For years I
                      had bad dreams about the little devil.

                      > In later years, I learned that my Moravian dad and his two brothers
                      had bought the little fellow for the exact purpose. They would
                      pretend that they were just sitting under thegiant elm tree in the
                      yard, talking and enjoying the cold beer. However, when one of us
                      would head for the outhouse they would watch the ordeal with great
                      pleasure. I guess I should have wondered why the little rooster
                      never bothered them??? I guess Czech fellows do have to have a
                      little fun ever once in a while.

                      > George
                      > ----------

                      12/24/2008 11:49 AM

                      > Checked by AVG.
                      12/24/2008 11:49 AM

                    • gpatrick
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 1, 2009
                        Hi Jana,
                        As for me, please feel free to include anything I have posted to the list.  Thanks for your informative posts to the list.  Your efforts are appreciated.

                        George Patrick

> [...]

                        kids to make the mad dash for the outhouse. When we jumped off the
                        poarch running he jumped from the flock, also running and flapping
                        his little wings and screaming like a banchee(sp, I know). He was
                        expert at landing on top of the head of his victim , grasping claws
                        filled with hair, and croaking that evil croak of his.. For years I
                        had bad dreams about the little devil.

                        > In later years, I learned that my Moravian dad and his two brothers
                        had bought the little fellow for the exact purpose. They would
                        pretend that they were just sitting under thegiant elm tree in the
                        yard, talking and enjoying the cold beer. However, when one of us
                        would head for the outhouse they would watch the ordeal with great
                        pleasure. I guess I should have wondered why the little rooster
                        never bothered them??? I guess Czech fellows do have to have a

                        12/24/2008 11:49 AM

                        > Checked by AVG.
                        12/24/2008 11:49 AM

                        Checked by AVG.
                      • pfoster
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 1, 2009
                          Hi Jana, If I have posted anything, please feel free to use it.
                          paulasmaggie
> [...]

                          kids to make the mad dash for the outhouse. When we jumped off the
                          poarch running he jumped from the flock, also running and flapping
                          his little wings and screaming like a banchee(sp, I know). He was
                          expert at landing on top of the head of his victim , grasping claws
                          filled with hair, and croaking that evil croak of his.. For years I
                          had bad dreams about the little devil.

                          > In later years, I learned that my Moravian dad and his two brothers
                          had bought the little fellow for the exact purpose. They would
                          pretend that they were just sitting under thegiant elm tree in the
                          yard, talking and enjoying the cold beer. However, when one of us
                          would head for the outhouse they would watch the ordeal with great
                          pleasure. I guess I should have wondered why the little rooster
                          never bothered them??? I guess Czech fellows do have to have a

                          12/24/2008 11:49 AM

                          > Checked by AVG.
                          12/24/2008 11:49 AM

                          Checked by AVG.

                        • livanec@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 1, 2009
                            8-) We also had guinea's. Mom used the eggs for egg noodles and the meat for polevka. They were our alarm system if a critter tried to get our chickens.

                            Allen

> [...]

                            kids to make the mad dash for the outhouse. When we jumped off the
                            poarch running he jumped from the flock, also running and flapping
                            his little wings and screaming like a banchee(sp, I know). He was
                            expert at landing on top of the head of his victim , grasping claws
                            filled with hair, and croaking that evil croak of his.. For years I
                            had bad dreams about the little devil.

                            > In later years, I learned that my Moravian dad and his two brothers
                            had bought the little fellow for the exact purpose. They would
                            pretend that they were just sitting under thegiant elm tree in the
                            yard, talking and enjoying the cold beer. However, when one of us
                            would head for the outhouse they would watch the ordeal with great
                            pleasure. I guess I should have wondered why the little rooster
                            never bothered them??? I guess Czech fellows do have to have a

                            12/24/2008 11:49 AM

                            > Checked by AVG.
                            12/24/2008 11:49 AM