RE: [TexasCzechs] KOLACHES

  • sissonltd@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 57 , Dec 7, 2008
      I know that the poppy my grandparents--Ancinec and Dusek--grew for their kolaches were the same poppy that was used to extract opiates, but during those days of the Dustbowl and Depression in Bell County and surrounding communities, the authorities did not bother folks much in the Czech communities because they knew the seed--and not the sap from the green pod--was used in cooking various Czech dishes.

      I know this to be true since the stories were passed to me from mother, aunts and uncles and best of all the grandparents themselves who did the growing, drying and preparing.

      From: "SHines" <shines@...>

      Yes, I understand they are the same plant that makes opium. I remember my
      mother wanting to try to figure out how to get opium from my aunt's poppies.

      Of course, it might be an urban legend. But interesting even if it is.

      Sally

      Message 57 of 57 , Dec 11, 2008

        Thank ya!