Re: [TexasCzechs] KOLACHES

  • d1jezek@aol.com
    Message 1 of 57 , Dec 3, 2008
      i second that about the solo fillings.  the poppyseed is almost just like my Grammaw's and the apricot is good as well.  the other fillings are too sloppy. the raspberry isn't bad either, but i thought maybe actual preserves might work better.  i still haven't found this Rhodes brand of dough, but i'm on the lookout for it.

      In a message dated 12/3/2008 7:11:42 P.M. Central Standard Time, janecekwi@... writes:

      KOLACHES

      [Czech-Moravian Pizzas]

      (The quick, easy, lazy way)

      By Fr. Frederick JaneÈek

      RHODES frozen sweet dough (3 loaves in a package)

      Thawing: follow package directions.  I thaw in frig 12-24 hours  -  even 48 hours but then the dough is getting out of hand.  Divide each loaf in half, shape in ball, roll out to fit 2 pie or cake pans, spread 1/2 or 1/3 can of SOLO filling (poppy seed or apricot) on dough per pan, let rise until double, bake 20 minutes or until crust is brown.  Actual work time about 10 minutes if you can find your pans - easily and quickly.  Total time for rising and baking about 1 hour.  Sprinkle with powdered (confection) sugar right before serving or presenting.

      For a more custard type of poppy seed filling prepare 1 package (3.4 oz) JELL-O Instant French vanilla pudding & pie filling, follow directions on package using 1 1/4 cup milk, refrigerate until set, then combine with 1 can of SOLO poppy seed filling.  Spread over dough in pans.  This will cover 6 pans as above, following same procedure as above.

      I make 6 pans at a time in the oven, baking on 2 oven shelves with 3 pans on each shelf and rotating the pans from one shelf to the other so that each kolach is evenly brown on top and bottom.

      The Czechs in Hillsboro, Wisconsin make a large kolach the size of a pie or cake pan and spread the filling on top.  They are served by slicing in wedges.  This way one does not have to mess around with filling each individual kolach.

      In Texas we are familiar with the little kolaches.  These above are not as good as the home-made one but are quite good if you don't have time to make your own.

      SOLO fillings can be found in the grocery store next to the pie fillings.  The only ones I like are the poppy seed and apricot.  I was not impressed with their other fillings, like prune.

      Enjoy!

      Poppy seed kolaches are the food of the gods of the Slavs.

    • Eric In The Woodlands
      Message 57 of 57 , Dec 11, 2008

        Thank ya!