Re: [TexasCzechs] Poppy Seed Filling for Kolache?

  • sissonltd@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2008
      From Cherished Czech Recipes Collected by Pat Martin(a ring bound small cookbook)  This recipe may be a bit unusual for some but the outcome is delicious!

      Poppy Seed Filling

      1/2 lb. ground poppy seed
      1 cup water
      1 cup milk
      1 Tbs. butter or margarine
      1 tsp. vanilla
      1/2 tsp. cinnamon
      1 cup sugar
      1/2 cup softened raisins

      Boil poppy seed in 1 cup water until thickened; add milk and boil slowly
      for about 10 minutes (be careful that it does not scorch).  Add butter, vanilla and cinnamon, then sugar; continue cooking for about 5 minutes.
      Remove from heat and add graham cracker crumbs and raisins.  Enough to fill 3 dozen kolaches.

      From: "SHines" <shines@...>

      Any favorite recipes? I ran across a bread machine recipe for the bread
      part. Take it out to make the pastry/rolls, of course. They want me to use
      canned pie filling. I want really good Poppy Seed filling.

      TIA,

      Sally