Poppy Seed Filling for Kolache?

  • SHines
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2008
      Any favorite recipes? I ran across a bread machine recipe for the bread
      part. Take it out to make the pastry/rolls, of course. They want me to use
      canned pie filling. I want really good Poppy Seed filling.

      TIA,

      Sally
    • sissonltd@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2008
        From Cherished Czech Recipes Collected by Pat Martin(a ring bound small cookbook)  This recipe may be a bit unusual for some but the outcome is delicious!

        Poppy Seed Filling

        1/2 lb. ground poppy seed
        1 cup water
        1 cup milk
        1 Tbs. butter or margarine
        1 tsp. vanilla
        1/2 tsp. cinnamon
        1 cup sugar
        1/2 cup softened raisins

        Boil poppy seed in 1 cup water until thickened; add milk and boil slowly
        for about 10 minutes (be careful that it does not scorch).  Add butter, vanilla and cinnamon, then sugar; continue cooking for about 5 minutes.
        Remove from heat and add graham cracker crumbs and raisins.  Enough to fill 3 dozen kolaches.