Re: [TexasCzechs] Christmas Eve Oplatki Wafers

  • Nangotoo
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2008
      What are Oplatki wafers and what are they for?

      Nan, who was raised in So. CA and not around CZ traditions.

      We are now shipping 2008 Oplatki wafers for Christmas eve.

      www.iarelative. com/xmas/ oplatki_order. htm

      Get your order in early.

      Does anyone have special family traditions to go along with
      the sharing of the wafers to start Christmas Eve dinner?

      Greg

    • sissonltd@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2008
        "Oplatki" I think means "wafer" but mother says to her it means "angel bread"...don't quote me on this; she grew up in Red Ranger, Rogers and Oscar in Bell County during the 20's and 30's.  The wafers/cookies represented unity of family I think.

        Oplatka is a Czech word for wafer.

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2008
          Did your Mom know the Petrek  boys and Lilly?  My dad is Rudy Petrek(changed to Patrick by  my English/Irish  mom)?  He had brothers Clarence, George, and Frank and his dad was Frank Gabriel Petrek.  My dad's grandparents are  Ondrej (Andrew) and Hermina (Minnie) Petrek who are buried at St. Mary's Cemetery in Westphalia.

          My dad's mother was Mary Stepan, daughter of Martin and Marie (Zabcik) Stepan.  They are all from Ocker and buried at the Ocker Brethren Cemetery.  Marie was the daughter of Jan and Anna (Hruska) Zabcik and Jan Zabcik, Jr. is her brother.

          Dan (Danny)Stepan  is my cousin who lives in Temple now but he grew up on a farm in Red Ranger.  I was born in Rogers but we moved to Calhoun County when I was about 4 years old--around  1940 or so.

          Small world.  Say "Hello" to mom for me.

          George Patrick (born Petrek)

          From: "Nangotoo" <nangotoo@san. rr.com>

          What are Oplatki wafers and what are they for?

          Nan, who was raised in So. CA and not around CZ traditions.

          We are now shipping 2008 Oplatki wafers for Christmas eve.

          www.iarelative. com/xmas/ oplatki_order. htm

          Get your order in early.

          Does anyone have special family traditions to go along with
          the sharing of the wafers to start Christmas Eve dinner?

          Greg

          Checked by AVG.
        • gregory_kopchak
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 4, 2009
            You can read Father George M. Franko's explanation of
            the Eastern European tradition of the sharing of the
            Oplatki wafer on Christmas Eve at

            http://www.iarelative.com/xmas/franko.htm

            Greg