Military/Religion

  • paulasmaggie
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 23, 2008
      This might be the dumbest posting I yet to do. I understand the
      military script that cause a lot of our families to immigrant. I
      understand the bond with the Mother Church. My GrGr Uncle Jan studied
      10 years in Hrozenkov Moravia to be a priest. Instead he left the
      priesthood, married, and had children. My GrGr Grandparents must have
      been broken-hearted. The question I have did our families feel an
      obligation that at least one family member became a priest or a nun?
      With researching different families I seem to find more nuns than
      priest. At least a majority of the families have members who became
      nuns. The next question is did women back then have only these choices
      if they dd not marry: teaching, servants, or becoming nuns?
      paulasmaggie
    • Lois Petter Pereira
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 24, 2008
        My Sister Dorothy Susil was the biggest tomboy on the planet. She was interested in learning though. She left the family at 15 at her own request to become a nun so she could teach and serve the Lord. Of course, you cannot become a priest or a nun and take final vows until you are of legal age. She was a noviciate until she was 21 and took her final vows. She has a couple of masters and several minors. She taught in Pittsburgh for many years and then came back to the Tx area to serve in small towns all around here. Now Grma was extremely happy that she became a nun but I do not think she would have gone if she did not want to . Grma Susil raised some stubborn, individualistic children. She always told all the grandchildren they would be good nuns or priests but we just smiled and moved on.
        Lois Petter Pereira