Re: [TexasCzechs] Fw: Is St. John Nepomucene real?

  • Susan Rektorik Henley
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 7, 2000
      Marie, I did so enjoy what you shared about the possible decanonization of Saint John Nepomucene. Thank you for taking the time to share all that which you did.  I grew up in the Parish of Saint John Nepomucene in Robstown, Texas. There was a life size statue of him in one of the side altars.  The representation had his head slightly bowed and two fingers of his mouth.  Hearing the tale of how his tongue had been removed.  That statue gave me a lot to think about during Mass.

       At the current time, I have no new information for you; however, I will try to take a paper copy of your inquiry to the current pastor.  I cannot guarantee any sort of response.

      It is a sad thought that he is no longer considered a Saint.  Why my sister, who was visiting in Europe, just visited the site at which his severed and preserved tongue is aid to be retained.  As a child, I was always impressed with his will power.

      I can tell you that there still remains on the current Catholic Calendar a feast day for St. John Nepomucene.  I believe it is in the month of May.  This would seem to indicate, to me at least, that he is still considered to be a Saint.  I hope so.  With all the "loose tongues" these days, we need a role model.

      I remember being disheartened when Saint Christopher and Saint Susan was demoted...please, not Saint John Nepomucene also!

      Susan Rektorik Henley
    • epereira@swbell.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 8, 2000
        It could very well be true. The Vatican rescinded St. Christopher's status.....Lois Petter Pereira