Re: "Svrcek book"

  • janapivec
    Message 1 of 47 , Oct 31, 2008
      pg. 78 (Flatonia entry): "Business came to Flatonia from 25 miles
      around and for that reason it grew very fast. At this time, many
      Czech families came from Europe and not knowing the English language—
      many of the business places had hired clerks who had the duty of
      attending these countrymen. These first assisting clerks were Edward
      Boehm, Jakub Slama; Frank Simecek; August Gallia; Anton Jojtik; John
      Bilek; Jack Nikl; Mathew and Albert Kubena."

      --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "janapivec" <jesenwei@...> wrote:

      > there is one:
      > Bilek, John: 78
      > I will look it up tonight.
      > --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Terri Billeck <billeckfamily@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > If you have time, does the book have any info on
      > > Billeck (Billek, Bileck)
      > > Shimek
      > > Kovar
      > >
      > > They all lived in the Fayette Co. area.
      > >
      > > Thank you for any help.
      > > Terri Billeck

    • janapivec
      Message 47 of 47 , Nov 25, 2008
        Sorry for the delay--I have been out of town.

        pg. 77-78 (Flatonia entry): "The community of Flatonia, has its
        origin from 1874 when the railroad extended its tracks from Houston
        to San Antonio, Texas. . . The first Czech Catholic settlers were
        Frank Pinter a tinsmith; Joseph Sander, inkeeper [sic]. Later came
        Jiri (George) Matula now living in Yoakum; then Frank Fojtik, a
        druggist.

        pg. 78 (Flatonia entry): "Business came to Flatonia from 25 miles
        around and for that reason it grew very fast. At this time, many
        Czech families came from Europe and not knowing the English language—
        many of the business places had hired clerks who had the duty of
        attending these countrymen. These first assisting clerks were Edward
        Boehm, Jakub Slama; Frank Simecek; August Gallia; Anton Fojtik; John
        Bilek; Jack Nikl; Mathew and Albert Kubena. . . . Now [1939] there
        is also Dr. E. J. Pukrabek. . . R. J. Walla owns a bakery and food
        store, Joe Hodanek Meat and Food Store; Stary & Fojtik foods. W. J.
        Huvar & Polasek own a restaurant; Stary and Greive own a meat
        processing plant and Meat Products. Frank Sebesta Cattle & Feed
        Business and Anthony Albrecht lumber yard."

        pg. 78 (Flatonia entry): "Karel Nesrsta former mayor; Rudolph Fojtik
        for four years was a county commissioner and since 1926 is a city
        secretary and treasurer. . . Frank Dusek was a postmaster for many
        years."

        pg. 137 (Needville entry): "In the years of 1901-1902 few Czech
        Catholic families moved here. . . First baptism recorded on the 13th
        of March 1907 – that of Rudolph Dubcak, son of John and Frances
        Dubcak. First marriage that of Jaroslav Davidek and Miss Albina
        Fojtik, on the 18th of July 1908. . . By the year of 1911, there were
        some 30 Catholic families in this community. Joseph Fojtik; Thomas
        Kostelnik; near Fairchilds the Kneitz family; Nesvadba; Vacek;
        Stavinoha; Frank Horak and a number of others."

        pg. 138 (Needville entry): "They all felt the need of a church near
        to them. It was through the efforts of Father Demel that a church was
        built in this little town in 1911—30x50 ft. Mr. Joseph Jojtik took
        upon himself the construction of the church. Money came from
        Catholics – Czech—as well as othernationalities, also from non-
        Catholics. It was on the 22nd day of May 1912 that the church was
        dedicated by the Most Reverend Bishop N. A. Gallagher of Galveston,
        Texas. President (sic) at the dedication were Fathers – Vaclav Demel,
        pastor; Father G. A. Montreuil from Rosenberg; Karel Kacer fom Marak;
        J. C. Kunc from Caldwell."

        --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, miladyolga@... wrote:

        > If you have time can look-up the family name of Fojtik in the
        Svrcek book?