Re: [TexasCzechs] Re: Czech Wedding Traditions

  • pfoster
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 9, 2008
      Now I have questions on Czech Wedding Traditions.  When I was planning to marry in 1978 I lived in Houston and Grandmamma in Caldwell and married at the Brethren Church in Dime Box.  Now I was allowed to pick-out my invitations and the dress, Grandmamma planned and executed the wedding.  Now, I am wondering if some of these rules were tradition or just a very stubborn Matriarch Moravian Woman.  Did the Matriarch always planned the weddings?  Was the bride suppose to stay indoors until the ceremony (it took Poppa intervening for me to even go to my "Womens" Pre-Wedding breakfast), the Women of the Church set-up the church and the reception hall before and during the early supper.  They always went to Grandmamma for instructions, no one was allowed to see me except Poppa, my matron of honor, and her.  If you need the bathroom too bad ( you would just have to wait until the wedding was over with or find a tree), and after the cermony in front of the church you thanked everyone, not at the reception.  Oh,  one more question.  Coleslaw.  We had a BBQ Supper with the trimming, except the coleslaw.  With all this planning Grandmamma insisted on making coleslaw.  Well, my job was to transport the coleslaw along with the matron of honor to the church in Dime Box.  Guess, who forgot the coleslaw.  To this day, I can remember that was one upset Moravian Matriarch not even Poppa could convince that the bowl of coleslaw could be served the next day when other family members came to visit. So, my Matron of Honor stepped in,  Her son went back to Caldwell for the coleslaw I still to this day do not know why the coleslaw was so important!  paulasmaggie