Re: [TexasCzechs] Sugarek Road and the Sugarek Family

  • SUGAREK%BILBO@uthscsa.edu
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2000
      Oops. I hit the wrong button...planned on replying to the individual. Yes, I
      do know Bob. He is my first cousin, the son of Bruce Sugarek, my dad's younger
      brother. Bob grew up on the corner of FM 888 and Sugarek Rd. on the same farm.
      Our grandparents parceled out 10 acres for each of their "boys" to have to
      build their homes. Glad to "meet" someone who knows Bob. Best wishes. Nancy
      Sugarek
    • nancy sugarek
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 28, 2008
        Dear Members,

        It has been awhile since I was on the list. (after my email address
        was changed at work) I am replying to a request from 2000 asking
        that I fix the spacing on something that I had written earlier and I
        happily did so tonight... amazing what a vacation will do for
        procrastination)

        Could I please be added back to the list but with this address:
        nsugarek@...

        Here is the repaired text (written prior to 2000)

        "I grew up on what is now Sugarek Road and can share the history
        of it's naming and the family for which it is named.
        Until very recently the road that runs between Highway 59
        (parallel to the Beeville Municipal Airport runway) and Farm to
        Market Road 888 had no name. We just called it "the lane" . Our
        farm was at the corner formed by this road and FM
        888.
        (Jeff Foxworthy has been quoted as saying that "you know you're a
        redneck if any part of the directions to your home include the
        words 'and when you leave the paved road'". I would like to add, and
        if that road has no name. With that description we could proudly
        call ourselves "rednecks".)
        In the 1970's my mother and I accidentally set our laundry room
        on fire and had to call the fire department. The only address she
        could give the dispatcher was to tell him that "It is at Allen
        Sugarek's house. Most of the firemen know where that is." The
        Beeville Volunteer Fire Department, many of whom were family friends,
        did get there and all turned out well.
        In recent years as the state began naming roads for the EMS
        system,this one was named "South Airport Road". This initially
        seemed a good idea (as the road did run by the airport). However,
        Beeville already had another Airport Road(across town leading to what
        had been the town's original airport). Two "Airport Roads" in a town
        of under 14,000 people, became a bit confusing.
        My dad tells me that he pointed this out to his county
        commissioner who offered to rename the road and asked my dad if he
        would like to call it Sugarek Road or Sugarek Drive. (The county
        road crews had long been calling it "Sugarek Road" when they needed
        to describe the location.) Thus the name was changed and it became
        "Sugarek Road".
        Now for the family for which it was named. The land for the
        south end of the road had been donated to the county by my
        grandfather, Charlie Sugarek. My dad tells me that he thinks that
        the land at the north end of the road was donated by another of Bee
        County's Czech settlers, Mr. Kubala. This history of our branch of
        the Sugarek family comes from a variety of sources, including an
        excellent family
        history by Robert Janak and a collection of obituaries, oral
        histories and my own memory and experiences. Many thanks to Mr.
        Janak for his comprehensive chronicles of the Sugarek Family.
        Frantisek Sugarek of Klokocov Moravia was born in 1819. He and
        his wife had a son and a daughter, Charles (1849-1932) and Maryjanna
        (1844-1908), both born in Kuncice. After his wife's death he married
        Barbora Simicek. They sailed to Galveston,Texas in 1856, settled at
        Hostyn and later at the Content Community in Colorado County.
        Frantisek and Barbora had two daughters, Veronica and Anna. In
        1863, while protecting his home and family from a gun wielding
        neighbor, Frantisek Sugarek was shot and killed. Now Charles and
        Maryjanna were orphans. Maryjanna married and Charles left for South
        Texas. Oral history tells us that the young man worked cattle drives
        during the civil war and roamed southern Texas for twelve years after
        his father's death. In 1877 Charles married Amalie (Mollie) Horak in
        Praha, Texas. Mollie Horak, born in Austin County in 1856, has been
        said to be the first Czech girl to be born in Texas and at the end of
        her life in 1951 she was said to be the oldest Czech woman living in
        Texas.
        Charles half sister Veronica and her husband Josef Barton had
        purchased a farm in Bee County Texas in 1889. They then sold this
        farm to Charles in 1890. Charles and Mollie Sugarek farmed this land
        and raised a daughter and four sons:
        Mary Sugarek Longeno, Jim, Charles (Charlie), Lydmul and Ed Sugarek.
        The youngest son, Ed was killed in France during World War I. A
        memorial plaque hangs in his memory in the Bee County Court House.
        Both Jim and Charlie were farmers. Jim married Lill Holik of
        Burleson County (Caldwell) and Charlie married Lill's younger sister,
        Anna Holik an "old maid" schoolteacher (her description of
        herself),also of Burleson County. Lill and Jim Sugarek had four
        sons, three of which, Edward, Randolph and Joseph Charles (JC) all
        farmed in Bee County. The fourth son Dick made his home in
        Lubbock. Anna and Charlie had three sons: Charles, career Air
        Force, Bruce, a welder and Allen. At the age of 75 years, Allen
        continues to farm the family farm in Bee County. Allen is my dad.
        The farm is on Sugarek Road. And now we are back to how Sugarek Road
        got its name.
        Thank you for asking, and for being interested. I have enjoyed
        being part of this family and looking at family history.
        Sincerely, Nancy Sugarek"

        2008 Updated information from the above:
        My father, Charlie and Anna's son, Allen Sugarek, continued to farm
        our family land until shortly before his death in 2003. My mother
        and I continue to have our family's portion of the farm in
        operation.
        Lill and Jim's son Edward continued the farming tradition on their
        portion of the land, and has been followed by Edward's son Mark, and
        Mark's son, Jim (a five generation farming legacy).
        We have lost most of my father's generation and are blessed to have
        the two remaining cousins, C.Bruce Sugarek, who will turn 80 this
        January and Edward L. Sugarek, who will be 84 in January.

        Nancy Sugarek