RE: [TexasCzechs]Octfest

  • tjs
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2 3:54 PM

      George,

      I was only in Pine Bluff for three years. I was only once in the Drew Co. area. Good farm area, known for their tomatoes.

       I checked the map for Jasper Co. MS, it is in the middle eastern part of the state of Miss.

      I have a “The Road of Arkansas” map book.  I did not find a Clear Creek, Drew Co.  The index list towns as small as 20 persons.

      I worked from Texarkana along the south part of the state to Pine Bluff and from there east towards Brinkley and north to Jonesboro .

      My wife’s sister lives just north of Little Rock and we have been going there since the early ’60, once or twice a year. We were at her sister’s this past July.

      TJ

      Hi TJ,

      Thanks for the reply.Joyce' s daughter lives in Hot Springs and I have a cousin in Pine Bluff .  We plan to go up that way when the weather cools off a bit.

      P, Jasper Co., Ms, where he married Mary  Ann Thomas.  By the 1850 Arkansas census they were in Clear Creek TP, Drew co., Ar.  By 1884, they were in Navarro county, Tx.

      Are you familiar with the Drew county area?  And, have you been down to the Jasper County , Ms. area?  How far apart are these two areas?  In the early days was there a trail or waterway that would have connected Pine Bluff with the Jasper ,  Ms. area?

    • Michael & Judy Rice
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 3 10:38 PM
        George,
        I am fairly familiar with the south central Mississippi area since that is where my family is from.  What exactly is your question about the area?  I will try to answer.

        Check out these sites:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasper_County,_Mississippi

        and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drew_County,_Arkansas

        This should give you an idea of the proximity of these two locations.  Also includes lots of other info.

        Hope this helps you and happy hunting~

        ~Judy Rice

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 4 1:30 PM
          Thanks for the reply. I have some holes in my mom's tree that I'm trying
          to fill. Because of the marriage of John Ronimus Eager to Mary Ann Thomas
          there are several families I have done some research on, including, Graham,
          Terral (Terrell), Thomas, Mabry, Underwood, for example. So, let me look
          through the sites you recommended and I'll get back to you. By the Way,
          you wouldn't be the Rice family kin to the Hieronymus family of
          Shepherdstown, West Va.?