Re: [TexasCzechs] Picking Cotton

  • pfoster
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2008
      Mary Ann, I now wish and miss the most is my Grandmamma's sweet pickles and dewberry jelly.  I wished now I had a jar of each.  paulasmaggie
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2008

        All this talk about picking cotton. I thought I would send 2 photo's of my family
        picking cotton up on the plains between Vernon and Crowell.

        David Weise
        Researching:
        Coufal, Jezek
      • Jim & Elaine Hicks

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2008
            Hi David -

            My husband's grandparents lived in Crowell - John and Bessie Matus.  Maybe your family knew them?
            Julie

            Julie & Wes Matus

            Researching:
            Herzik, Korenek, Toman, Dybala
            Matus, Kubala, Grossman, Krenek

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 2, 2008
              David, Great Pictures.  The one thing that stands out, which might seem strange is most of the women are wearing traditional scarves, but a few are wearing bonnets.  Just a observation.  paulasmaggie
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 10, 2008
                Hi Julie;
                No, I didn't know them personally, but I do know the name Matus.
                My great aunt Hermina "Minnie" Coufal married Joseph Cerveny.
                Their son Bert Cerveny married Emma Julie Matus.
                My great-grandparents Josef & Anna Coufal lived north of Thalia
                at Rayland.

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 10, 2008
                  Back in those days when it was time to gather the
                  crops the neighbors and family all came together
                  and pitched in to help. To your question, I'm going
                  to say Weise, Coufal, Cerveny, Machac and friends
                  or neighbors that I don't know.

                  David