Re: [TexasCzechs] Re: Cotton & Corn Picking

  • Julie Matus
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2008
      Allen, that is how we did our corn.  First cut off the corn tops and later pull the corn, pitch it in the trailer.  However, Dad bought an elevator so we could just drop it from a door in the bottom of the trailer and it went up the elevator into the barn.  I used to help shell the corn with the sheller.  I will never forget the time Daddy and I were in the barn with the corn and all of a sudden, Daddy started jumping around and shaking his pants leg - he had a mouse crawl up his pants leg!!!  Daddy was always thin, so his pants were always baggy in the legs so that mouse just crawled up.  He was jumping around and hollering 'mouse, mouse'.  Memories....................

      later, Julie

      Julie & Wes Matus

      Researching:
      Herzik, Korenek, Toman, Dybala
      Matus, Kubala, Grossman, Krenek
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2008
        Great funny story Julie. Wish we had an elevator. We used a large "grain" shovel to put the corn in the crib. In addition to the hand cranked corn sheller. We also had a corn grinder. It also had a large wheel that you turned. You could adjust it to how fine you wanted the corn ground. My younger brother still has the corn sheller. He cleaned it up and placed it in front of his fireplace.

        Allen

      • Julie Matus
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2008
          Allen, that's neat that your brother has the corn sheller in the house.  I kept the black iron kettle was used to boil water for clothes washing or for hog butchering.  I use it as a planter on the deck.  Then I have a wire egg basket - just keep large pine cones in it from our tree.  We do have an old wood burning heater in the barn that I would like one day to have somewhere on display in the house possibly?  I also have the pie safe my Mom used.  It's not really an official antique, but it was my Mom and Dad's, so it's special to me.  From my grandparent's house, I have a magazine table that Wes stripped down and refinished.  It stands proudly in our entry way of the house.  I wish I would have gotten more things from Mom and Dad's - at the time they were selling the farm, I guess it was not that important to me to have more of the items from the farm.

          later, Julie

          Julie & Wes Matus

          Researching:
          Herzik, Korenek, Toman, Dybala
          Matus, Kubala, Grossman, Krenek
          Great funny story Julie. Wish we had an elevator. We used a large "grain" shovel to put the corn in the crib. In addition to the hand cranked corn sheller. We also had a corn grinder. It also had a large wheel that you turned. You could adjust it to how fine you wanted the corn ground. My younger brother still has the corn sheller. He cleaned it up and placed it in front of his fireplace.

          Allen

        • pfoster