Re: [TexasCzechs] Re: Cotton Picking

  • Mary Ann Wisian
    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 1, 2008
      What we were referring to, if I am correct, is the dried cornon the cobs not fresh, where as the buthcher knife would be best.

      Mary Ann Wisian

      From: s_tb <s_tb@...>
      Subject: [TexasCzechs] Re: Cotton Picking
      To: TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Tuesday, September 30, 2008, 12:39 PM

      "Dora Smith" <tiggernut24@ ...> wrote:

      > Were they picking cotton on their own farm, or someone else's? You
      > pretty much think of cotton as a plantation crop.

      Hi Dora,
      in Faytette county, where my mother's parents (Ryza) farmed, cotton
      was an important cash crop for the family farm, and for their tenant
      farmers.

      I found this article in the Weimar Mercury archives
      for July 23, 1948:

      "La Grange Gins First Bale of 1948 Cotton"

      "Grower of the first bale was a tenant farmer, Alfred Kubecka of the
      La Grange-Plum community. Grown on a Colorado river bottom farm owned
      by Joe Kovar, the bale weighed 548 pounds, and was purchased by Ehlers
      Cotton company for the premium price of 40 cents per pound."

      "The previous earliest bale was in 1943 when Joe F Ryza of near La
      Grange ginned the first bale on July 22."

      What's interesting to note about this is that the average price per
      pound paid farmers in 2008 has dropped from a high of 62 cents in
      April 2008 to 59 cents in August 2008, according to the National
      Cotton Council of America. This is just 50 percent more than
      cotton sold for in 1948 - sixty years ago!

      Gasoline would be selling for 22 cents/gallon today if
      petroleum products were priced equivalent to cotton.

    • pfoster
      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 1, 2008
        Thank You.  paulasmaggie

      • bmit1313@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 1, 2008
          I remember still, how proud my mother was when she received a kernel slicer from Sears & Roebuck... it was a round blade (the cob went through the middle) with handles sticking out either side... she used a little Bohemian ingenuity and took an old wooden bread bowl and drove a nail through from the bottom... she could take a fresh shucked cob and slam it down on that nail and push the slicer over it in nothing flat... the bowl caught not only the kernels but the milky juice... which she not only let us drink, but she used it in a lot of her baked goods as well.

          We had an old Cub Cadet tractor... the kind that had the steering wheel and seat off set to the right... we hooked and old cotton trailer (minus the sides) behind this and set it off down the corn rows with no rider... it would pull that trailer just fast enough that all of us could pull several rows either side of it... this is how we pulled the dry corn...

          We pulled fresh corn by going through the fields and playing "hide and seek" or "tag"... you had to make it back to the back porch (and Momma) with an ear or two or you were "it"... we always had great fun at this... aahhh the memories!!!

          Buster
        • Dora Smith
          Message 4 of 29 , Oct 1, 2008
            How large were the farms on which cotton was grown?

            I have known people who were share croppers. Tehy might raise ordinary farm crops at home, but then go work in the owner's large farm, and that might be picking cotton.

            Yours,
            Dora Smith
            Austin, TX
            tiggernut24@...