Picking Cotton

  • Mary Ann Wisian
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2008
      My Dad (who was first generation of Czech immigrants), grew up in Texas farming along with his brothers on the family farm.  They grew cotton among other things.  After WWII, my dad got married and started his family (me). It seems all my life (up until he died in 1990) he farmed.  His main livelihood was being a mechanic, but after hours and on weekends, he farmed.  He would farm his brothers land and he leased land and he even bought lots in an addition where we were going to build our new home and farmed that too.  Of course at home, we always had a garden.  When he retired, he had a garden and fruit trees and planting was in his veins.  His mother won blue ribbons at the county fair for her flowers she raised.  One year when I was about 8 or 9, he had planted cotton and corn on leased land and we were all supposed to go out and pick this cotton.  My grandma made us some cotton pickin' bags (made out of canvas).  Mine was smaller, because I was too little to pull a big bag.  I didn't much care for picking cotton and it was soooo hot.  I remember we kept praying for it to rain so we could leave.  And it did!  We were screaming and running to the car so we could all go home.  Whew!
      I also remember my parents doing a lot of canning and freezing.  We always had fruit and vegetables to eat.  The pickles were my dad's specialty.  He had a little formula he always used to make garlic dill pickles with a  little zip.  He would always put in the little chili pequines to give the dills a zip.  One thing I know about my dad, he was always so proud of what he grew.  Believe me, I have pictures to prove it; lots of them.  He made sure to send them to me.  My biggest regret is that I didn't learn from him how to do it all.  We always realize what we had once it's gone.

      Mary Ann Wisian
    • pfoster
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2008
        Mary Ann, I now wish and miss the most is my Grandmamma's sweet pickles and dewberry jelly.  I wished now I had a jar of each.  paulasmaggie
[...]

      • David Weise
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2008

          All this talk about picking cotton. I thought I would send 2 photo's of my family
          picking cotton up on the plains between Vernon and Crowell.

          David Weise
          Researching:
          Coufal, Jezek
        • Jim & Elaine Hicks

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 1, 2008
              Hi David -

              My husband's grandparents lived in Crowell - John and Bessie Matus.  Maybe your family knew them?
              Julie

              Julie & Wes Matus

              Researching:
              Herzik, Korenek, Toman, Dybala
              Matus, Kubala, Grossman, Krenek

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 2, 2008
                David, Great Pictures.  The one thing that stands out, which might seem strange is most of the women are wearing traditional scarves, but a few are wearing bonnets.  Just a observation.  paulasmaggie
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 10, 2008
                  Hi Julie;
                  No, I didn't know them personally, but I do know the name Matus.
                  My great aunt Hermina "Minnie" Coufal married Joseph Cerveny.
                  Their son Bert Cerveny married Emma Julie Matus.
                  My great-grandparents Josef & Anna Coufal lived north of Thalia
                  at Rayland.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 10, 2008
                    Back in those days when it was time to gather the
                    crops the neighbors and family all came together
                    and pitched in to help. To your question, I'm going
                    to say Weise, Coufal, Cerveny, Machac and friends
                    or neighbors that I don't know.

                    David