mail order brides

  • Rosemary Ermis
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2008
      Family legend has it that my husband's Uncle Jerome Ryza of Ganado answered one of the Czech advertisements for a mail order bride in 1944.  His first wife, Mary, had died in 1941; they had no children together.  The mail order bride was named Elizabeth Chovanec (Betty) born in Fayetteville and was 36 years old.  They were married in 1944, and   she died five years later from a coronary occlusion.  Again, there were no children.  Sorry this doesn't have a happier ending, but Betty may have been happy that someone wanted her in her "old" age as a wife.

      Rosemary Ermis
    • pfoster
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2008
        That is sad, but  like you said  Betty may have been happy that someone wanted her in "old age" as a wife.  Rosemary I believe that is part of Pats and my Chovanec Family History.  paulasmaggie

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2008
          Betty's parents were Joseph Chovanec and Catharena/Katherina Zajicek.

          If she is part of your family, are there any legends as to how she became a mail order bride?

          Rosemary

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 1, 2008
            I have the 90 page Descendants of George Chovance  that Cousin Pat  sent which I would be glad to email you.  Just send me your email address to pfosterbmt@....  paulasmaggie