Emailing: Cotten Gin Caldwell Texas

  • pfoster
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2008
      I am forwarding a picture that was sent to me since we have been talking cotten picken.  paulasmaggie
      Cotten Gin Caldwell Texas

    • emalina
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2008
        Bernard, it was interesting to read about the Vykukal Gin.

         I have a newspaper article from the Burleson County Citizen about artifacts found at the Old Vykukal Gin site. Unfortunately, the date has been cut off, but I believe it appeared in the paper around March 2000.

         " Tom Truster, hired by the city to demolish the gin to make room for the city's new civic center said last week that he discovered an old belt from the gin's steam engine, a riveter and belt cutter, old pictures and documents, some old fans, a metal silo and some 6 oz. Dr. Pepper bottles, possibly from the 1930's, with corks on top.  In addition, he found a $500 bill from 1906.

        Truster is donating most of the memorabilia back to the city for storage in the Burleson County Historical Museum..."

        You also mentioned the Hudec family.  Do you have an Emil Hudec, who died in 1936, in your Hudec family? I have an Emil Hudec being married in 1918 to Emily Hruska. I am looking for further information on Emil Hudec.

        In the Hruska family I have two sons of  Joseph Frank Vykukal and Anna Agnes Hudec as having married daughters of Ludwig Piwonka and Frances Marie Hruska.  Joseph Sylvester Vykukal married Lillie Frances Piwonka and  Willie Vince Vykukal married Rosa Lee Piwonka. Does anyone know if the younger Joe and Willie were both associated with the gin or if they had other occupations?

        Elaine Hruska Malina

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 2, 2008
              Thanks for the info.
              Do you or any of your family have information on the Hudec's and whether Emil was part of your family tree?
              I recognize many of the names you mentioned as having lived in the Frenstat community. Several of my aunts/uncles
              and cousins married into these families.

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 4, 2008
                I would be glad to email the John Hudec Sr. Family Descendant List that Pat did.  Just send me your email address to pfosterbmt@....  Do you have Emil's parents, date of birth/death, who he married, any children, and where he settled?  This would be helpful since the Hudecs tie into different family trees of ours.  paulasmaggie