Family Tree Maker 16

  • Sir John
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 24, 2008
      Several months ago, seems some members had purchased FTM 16 and had trouble upgrading prior versions of FTM to version 16,.  Anyone purchased Family Tree Maker 16 recently and attempted to update prior data to it?  Problems still present?

      Surprised at reading the System requirement that Microsoft Vista isn't included.  There is a note stating if you had a 'higher' system you might have to make adjustments, etc. to make FTM work.  Anyone having Vista install FTM V-16?  Results?

      I am using FTM V-12 and I did not upgrade to V-16 because of troubles members reported on this list.

      We are starting a Special Interest Group for Genealogy in the Golden Triangle P C Club, Beaumont, TX and some members ,may be using FTM prior to V-16.  I do not want to suggest any of them upgrade to 16 if problems are still with that version.

      I started genealogy using Brothers Keeper, then transferred to Family Tree Maker many years ago, mainly because of Windows becoming popular and FTM went to Windows.  Now that Family Tree Maker has been purchased by another company, update versions increased 50%, with problem on top of that.  May want to change to anohter program  myself.  <G>

      Sir John, Earl of Berkshire
    • sissonltd@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 24, 2008
        Dear Sir John:

        I bought version 16 18 months ago and it was nothing but trouble; it was slow, too long to load and change between windows....nothing but lock ups and slow activity.  I was using Windows XP DME at the time and do not have Vista.  Version 16 was so bad for me I could not even give it away to a cousin!  I am currently using FTM 2006 and plan to continue using it as it has NEVER been a problem across three different computers and remains flawless.  I am sorry to hear others have had some many difficulties and will pray for better days ahead.

        You could not pay me to use Vista either at least until it gets its act together!  I don't care if my operating system is on par with the Flintstones as long as it does the job!  LOL  Good luck sir!

        Kathleen

        From: Sir John <jlmikeska@...>

[...]

      • Michael & Judy Rice
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 24, 2008
          Sir John,
          I have Windows Vista and and running FTM 2005, whatever version that is.  I haven't had any problems with compatiblity, etc. so far.

          ~Judy R

          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 24, 2008
            I have become disenchanted with upgrading to newer versions of FTM
            also but do run at Version 16. Have not moved to next version
            because of bad press, etc. My cohorts in our local genealogical
            society swear by Legacy. When I have time in future plan to change
            to it. It gives you more goodies and options to work with.

            --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Sir John <jlmikeska@...> wrote:

            > Several months ago, seems some members had purchased FTM 16 and had
            trouble upgrading prior versions of FTM to version 16,.  Anyone
            purchased Family Tree Maker 16 recently and attempted to update prior
            data to it?  Problems still present?

            > Surprised at reading the System requirement that Microsoft Vista
            isn't included.  There is a note stating if you had a 'higher' system
            you might have to make adjustments, etc. to make FTM work.  Anyone
            having Vista install FTM V-16?  Results?

            > I am using FTM V-12 and I did not upgrade to V-16 because
            of troubles members reported on this list.

            > We are starting a Special Interest Group for Genealogy in the
            Golden Triangle P C Club, Beaumont, TX and some members ,may be
            using FTM prior to V-16.  I do not want to suggest any of them
            upgrade to 16 if problems are still with that version.

            > I started genealogy using Brothers Keeper, then transferred to
            Family Tree Maker many years ago, mainly because of Windows becoming
            popular and FTM went to Windows.  Now that Family Tree Maker has
            been purchased by another company, update versions increased 50%,
            with problem on top of that.  May want to change to anohter
            program  myself.  <G>

            > Sir John, Earl of Berkshire
            > What good is information if not shared with others?

          • Cindy Neal
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 24, 2008

              It says:

              This update is intended for people who are using Family Tree Maker 2005, 2006 or 16 on a Windows Vista computer.
              If you are not using Windows Vista you do not need to download this update.

              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 24, 2008
                Judy, and others, thanks for your replies regarding running Family Tree Maker.

                Judy, I pulled my Family Tree Maker 2006, which came in  flat thick envelope and I do not find a date in the small update manual.  I find the thickk manual I have for 2007 version is showing 6th printing in `1999.

                Look toward the south east section of Texas and if you see a red glow, 'tis me!!!!  In looking for the latest Family Tree Maker disk, I came across my photo program, PhotoImpact version 12.   Ugh oh, Sir John....   I looked at the helps in Family Tree Maker and I am running version 16, believe it or not.  I am using XP and haven't had but one unusual problem in that a family, whee the original wife passed away and the husband/father remarried, it showed the second set of children being born to the first or deceased wife.  I knew something had to change this as I was very careful placing them with correct mother in 1993.

                Sooo, I will not attempt to put on Vista with FTM 16 and I am thinking of obtaining Legacy and see if I can transfer the multiple data, documentation and photos to Legacy.  This will be a good Gedcom program for couple meeting of the Genealogy SIG.  I have an extra PC not being used and will put the present data of unusual PC with XP and hopefully never loose the data.

                I can only guess my age caused my forgetting what version I was using in FTM.  .

                Sir John, Earl of Berkshire

                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 24, 2008
                  I have FTM 6.0 on my old Windows 95. I have been entering data since 1997. I bought a new Dell XPS 410 with Windows Vista in 2007. I have found no way to transfer all those years of data entry to my new computer using any version of FTM. If I will have to reenter all the data again. I am switching to Legacy.

                  I hope my old Windows 95 computer doesn't crash before I reenter the data.

                  Allen

                • Todd Heczko
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 24, 2008
                    I got Version 16 this past April. When I loaded it up onto my pc which held
                    Windows XP. It slowed my whole computer down to the point that not a thing
                    would work. This past summer then I got myself a new Computer and with Vista
                    and now it is running fine.

                    Do I like it? No but yes, There is a few things I like off of the new
                    program but to be honest I like the older one 2005 better. Then again I do
                    not like Vista either. As I look at it Vista screwed up a lot of things.

                    I am really thinking about going to a Mac.

                    Todd Heczko
                  • sissonltd@comcast.net

                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 25, 2008
                        Allen,

                        I reviewed Legacy video advertisement yesterday and was impressed with Legacy.  Wish Bordebund still owned Family Tree Maker - never had a problem with Family Tree Maker updates containing good improvement and/or additions.

                        Sir John, Earl of Berkshire

                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 25, 2008
                          Todd,

                          I'm running XP Prof and have no intentions of putting on Vista, due to problems so many people have commented about.  I have some older programs I'm afraid won't run on Vista, but working perfectly on XP.  I wonder if Vista will become known similar to Windows ME once Windows 7 comes out.

                          Sir John, Earl of Berkshire

                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 25, 2008
                            I haven't worked with Gedcom but couple times and was transferring simple information.  I intend to work with Gedcom transferring from Family Tree Maker to another program must to see if "ALL information can be transferred.  From what I understand, transferring documentation, say of death date and location and where buried, must have a place for that documentation in the program you are transferring information to.

                            Once I have 'half way' mastered this Gedcom, I'm to present a program to our genealogy club meeting regardding it.  Maybe 2010???

                            Sir John, Earl of Berkshire

                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 25, 2008
                              Thanks Kathleen. I wish I could hire you!! I am going to try importing to a GEDCOM file.

                              Allen

                            • sissonltd@comcast.net
                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 25, 2008
                                It is very easy to make a GEDCOM.  Just open up your Family Tree Maker program.  Click on the file menu and find >>>"Export File" then>>> "Entire File" click on "Entire File".  A window should come up asking you what you want to name the New file...so give it a name and then in the box under that is a drop down menu for different file types and click on GEDCOM .  It should be the last file listing on the drop down list.  Click on "Gedcom">>> and then click>>> "Save"!  Another window should op up to save and that is it!  You should have a new Gedcom file now to import into another program as long as it is "PC"(Windows based operating system).  Doing for a "Mac" is another lesson altogether!  LOL  Have a great day!  Kathleen

                                From: livanec@...

                                Message 15 of 18 , Sep 25, 2008
                                  Kathleen,

                                  Making a Gedcom is indeed fast and easy, following your directions.  I made a Gedcom and imported it back into Family Tree Maker and showed without any errors.  Only problem was the Gedcom did not export the photos and scanned items I have in many individual Scrapbooks.  Every run across this?

                                  I have made a chapter in FTW program called Objects and Photos and put the items I put in Scrapbooks there.  In this manner, making backup of my data also makes copies of the scanned items and photos.  I've made a PDF backup and forwarded to kin and the photos and scanned items remained in place.  Before putting the folder in FTW, I had the scanned items and photos in separate folders in my hard drive.  I changed them to a different partition once and found Family Tree no longer could find the items.

                                  I have 100's of photos and scanned items to individual FTM data.  Not being able to transfer these items may cause me to stay with Family Tree Maker...

                                  Sir John, Earl of Berkshire

                                  From: livanec@aol. com

                                    From: livanec@aol. com
                                    Thanks Kathleen. I wish I could hire you!! I am going to try importing to a GEDCOM file.

                                    Allen

                                  • janapivec
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Sep 26, 2008
                                      Another vote here for Legacy--easy to use, with lots of nice features.
                                      I use the *free* Standard Edition--plenty powerful enough and I don't
                                      know what I am missing with the Deluxe Edition.

                                      I also started out with Brother's Keeper, and had no trouble reading
                                      it into Legacy as a GEDCOM

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Sep 30, 2008
                                        Cindy,  I'm late thanking you, but this was good information re FTMaker  programs.

                                        Sir John, Earl of Berkshire