Re: [TexasCzechs] Sugarek Road and the Sugarek Family

  • Susan Rektorik Henley
    Message 1 of 3 , May 30, 2000
      Nancy Sugarek, I truly enjoyed reading your story about Sugarek Road, the laundry room fire, and all of the interesting Ancestors which you have.  Thank you for taking the time to type it all out and send it.

      In your message, you said that "oral history tells us that the young man (Charles Sugarek) worked cattle drives during the civil war and roamed southern Texas for twelve years after his father's death."  Can you share those stories with us?  It must have been the longhorns left by the Spanish which he herded, does your family lore say?  Do you know which trail he took?  Did he ride with the Longhorn herds which carried the "Texas Tick Fever"?  Did he see the introduced herds up north fall ill from the fever which the Longhorns were unaffected?  Also, was he and the herd set upon by the Apaches, or even worse, the Comaches?  Those were perilous and exciting times in South Texas!  Please share what you know.  There is not much written about the actual men who handle the huge herds.  Whatever you can share would be of great benefit.

      Also, I wanted to let you know that your e-mail message has unusual breaks in it.  I thought it might be just the way my system read your mail; however, I went and checked your message in the TexasCzech archive.  It is oddly spaced there too.  From my own experience, I know that it is time consuming and frustrating to fix these problems; however, stories such as your should go into the archive in a manner easy to read.  Your story is one which needs to be kept and read by others.  Your Czech ancestors need to be remembered.  I don't have any suggestions as to how the problem can be fixed.  I mentioned here because I thought someone else on the list might know how to correct it.  Does anyone?

      And, I was wondering if you have pictures of your ancestors which you could share.  Perhaps you don't have a scanner.  I do.  If you have reproductions of the originals, I would be willing to scan and send them to the list for you.  It is just a thought.  Let me know if you are interested, we can work on the details between just the two of us if you are.

      Susan Rektorik Henley

      Kdo chce s vlky býti, musí s vlky výti!

      "If you run with the wolves, you must howl with the wolves!"

      Remember who your people are, keep and tell their stories.

      Rekindle and keep the fires of the culture alive!

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2000
        Oops. I hit the wrong button...planned on replying to the individual. Yes, I
        do know Bob. He is my first cousin, the son of Bruce Sugarek, my dad's younger
        brother. Bob grew up on the corner of FM 888 and Sugarek Rd. on the same farm.
        Our grandparents parceled out 10 acres for each of their "boys" to have to
        build their homes. Glad to "meet" someone who knows Bob. Best wishes. Nancy
        Sugarek
      • nancy sugarek
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 28, 2008
          Dear Members,

          It has been awhile since I was on the list. (after my email address
          was changed at work) I am replying to a request from 2000 asking
          that I fix the spacing on something that I had written earlier and I
          happily did so tonight... amazing what a vacation will do for
          procrastination)

          Could I please be added back to the list but with this address:
          nsugarek@...

          Here is the repaired text (written prior to 2000)

          "I grew up on what is now Sugarek Road and can share the history
          of it's naming and the family for which it is named.
          Until very recently the road that runs between Highway 59
          (parallel to the Beeville Municipal Airport runway) and Farm to
          Market Road 888 had no name. We just called it "the lane" . Our
          farm was at the corner formed by this road and FM
          888.
          (Jeff Foxworthy has been quoted as saying that "you know you're a
          redneck if any part of the directions to your home include the
          words 'and when you leave the paved road'". I would like to add, and
[...]
          would like to call it Sugarek Road or Sugarek Drive. (The county
[...]
          (1844-1908), both born in Kuncice. After his wife's death he married
          Barbora Simicek. They sailed to Galveston,Texas in 1856, settled at
          Hostyn and later at the Content Community in Colorado County.
          Frantisek and Barbora had two daughters, Veronica and Anna. In
          1863, while protecting his home and family from a gun wielding
          neighbor, Frantisek Sugarek was shot and killed. Now Charles and
          Maryjanna were orphans. Maryjanna married and Charles left for South
          Texas. Oral history tells us that the young man worked cattle drives
          during the civil war and roamed southern Texas for twelve years after
          his father's death. In 1877 Charles married Amalie (Mollie) Horak in
          Praha, Texas. Mollie Horak, born in Austin County in 1856, has been
          said to be the first Czech girl to be born in Texas and at the end of
          her life in 1951 she was said to be the oldest Czech woman living in
          Texas.
          Charles half sister Veronica and her husband Josef Barton had
          purchased a farm in Bee County Texas in 1889. They then sold this
          farm to Charles in 1890. Charles and Mollie Sugarek farmed this land
          and raised a daughter and four sons:
          Mary Sugarek Longeno, Jim, Charles (Charlie), Lydmul and Ed Sugarek.
          The youngest son, Ed was killed in France during World War I. A
          memorial plaque hangs in his memory in the Bee County Court House.
          Both Jim and Charlie were farmers. Jim married Lill Holik of
          Burleson County (Caldwell) and Charlie married Lill's younger sister,
          Anna Holik an "old maid" schoolteacher (her description of
          herself),also of Burleson County. Lill and Jim Sugarek had four
          sons, three of which, Edward, Randolph and Joseph Charles (JC) all
          farmed in Bee County. The fourth son Dick made his home in
          Lubbock. Anna and Charlie had three sons: Charles, career Air
          Force, Bruce, a welder and Allen. At the age of 75 years, Allen
          continues to farm the family farm in Bee County. Allen is my dad.
          The farm is on Sugarek Road. And now we are back to how Sugarek Road
          got its name.
          Thank you for asking, and for being interested. I have enjoyed
          being part of this family and looking at family history.
          Sincerely, Nancy Sugarek"

          2008 Updated information from the above:
          My father, Charlie and Anna's son, Allen Sugarek, continued to farm
          our family land until shortly before his death in 2003. My mother
          and I continue to have our family's portion of the farm in
          operation.
          Lill and Jim's son Edward continued the farming tradition on their
          portion of the land, and has been followed by Edward's son Mark, and
          Mark's son, Jim (a five generation farming legacy).
          We have lost most of my father's generation and are blessed to have
          the two remaining cousins, C.Bruce Sugarek, who will turn 80 this
          January and Edward L. Sugarek, who will be 84 in January.

          Nancy Sugarek