Ike

  • emalina
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 10, 2008
      Please keep all of us along the Texas coast in your prayers as we prepare for "Ike."

      E. Malina
    • robbie moore
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 10, 2008

        Dear Ones,

        Once again we prepare for something sent our way. May God be  with all of you and may you be safe at all times.

        Our Love,

        Robbie

        Please keep all of us along the Texas coast in your prayers as we prepare for "Ike."

        E. Malina

      • jpatrick
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 10, 2008
          You are right,E. Malina. Depending on which weatherman you listen to, it may not be so bad...up to what another man said "It may be another Carla.".. He thinks it  may hit CC, then come on up to Austin. But I suppose we shall see. Many have never been through Carla. She was up to over 175 mph. It broke the wind recorder in Galveston. Tore it off the spindle! I was in CC at the time and did not get the brunt, those in Galveston and Kemah (sic) still did not have all the repairs done 2 years later.!!
          J. L. P
          Please keep all of us along the Texas coast in your prayers as we prepare for "Ike."

          E. Malina

          Checked by AVG.
        • pfoster
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 10, 2008
            Latest from Beaumont. We excepting heavy rain and tropical windforces.  Yesterday we were told there would be little effect from Ike.  Now 24 hours it has changed.  They have asked for Voluntary Evacuation for Brazoria County.  Ike is moving nwn  at 8 mphs.  If you have a beach house now is the time to board-up.  The news showed only Downtown and an very little of the rest of Beaumont.  The Westend received the worst damage.  Tornados and Wind Shear Force Winds of 110 plus some gus up to 120 mph.  It looked like a war zone when we returned 5 days later.  So, please take the warnings seriously.
            My prayers and thoughts are for all of us on the Coast.  paulasmaggie
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 10, 2008
              One of the best Hurricane tracking sites I have found is:

              http://www.stormpulse.com/

              You can click on the historical track, forecast models, and wind probabilities in upper right corner... and you can zoom in and out and "grab" the screen and pull it around... best if viewed in full screen mode.

              Buster

            • sissonltd@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 10, 2008
                You are most definitely in our prayers here in the Evergreen State of WA and also from Takoma Park, MD.  You guys are our home away from "home" and our family as well!  Godspeed and stay safe!  Get outta there if need be!  Kathleen

                From: "emalina" <emalina@...>

                Please keep all of us along the Texas coast in your prayers as we prepare for "Ike."

                E. Malina

              • JANET TUCKER
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 10, 2008
                  I was a girl living in Houston during Carla.  I will never forget it.  I remember going out one time and in was very calm.  I could see the rain in the distance.  I guess that was the eye.  I remember taping up the windows.  The worse part was staying inside all that time.
                  Anybody else have memories of Carla?
                  Jan
                  You are right,E. Malina. Depending on which weatherman you listen to, it may not be so bad...up to what another man said "It may be another Carla.".. He thinks it  may hit CC, then come on up to Austin. But I suppose we shall see. Many have never been through Carla. She was up to over 175 mph. It broke the wind recorder in Galveston. Tore it off the spindle! I was in CC at the time and did not get the brunt, those in Galveston and Kemah (sic) still did not have all the repairs done 2 years later.!!
                  J. L. P
                  Please keep all of us along the Texas coast in your prayers as we prepare for "Ike."

                  E. Malina

                  Checked by AVG.
                • Patricia Mercincavage
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 10, 2008
                    I remember Carla well.  We lived in Dallas at the time, and even felt the effects up there.  All we had was bad rain and wind, and our next-door neighbor's screen door ripped right off and blown away.  That was nothing to what our relatives in the Port Lavaca area experienced, though.  My mother's family all lived in Six Mile and Houston.  I remember us all going down to Six Mile a couple of weeks after Carla struck.  The windows had been blown or broken out of the front side of my Grandpa Machacek's house, and my Great-Aunt Frances Drgac's house had been turned partly around on its foundation, and her chicken coop and other out-buildings had completely disappeared.  She continued to find bewildered Guinea hens from her flock for several weeks after the storm.  She never did find all the guinea hens or her chickens, and took a long time for my Grandpa and her to get back to "normal".  I remember my Dad driving us down the streets and us kids marveling at the palm trees bent over sideways and other signs of the terrible force of that storm.  Such a memory is something that always stays with a person I think!

                    Pat Mercincavage

                    To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com
                    From: jlpatrick@...
                    Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 11:27:59 -0500

                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 10, 2008
                      These memories do stay with a person.  It's funny though, I don't remember anything about evacuations.  Do you?
                      Jan

                      To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com
                      From: jlpatrick@...
                      Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 11:27:59 -0500

                      You are right,E. Malina. Depending on which weatherman you listen to, it may not be so bad...up to what another man said "It may be another Carla.".. He thinks it  may hit CC, then come on up to Austin. But I suppose we shall see. Many have never been through Carla. She was up to over 175 mph. It broke the wind recorder in Galveston. Tore it off the spindle! I was in CC at the time and did not get the brunt, those in Galveston and Kemah (sic) still did not have all the repairs done 2 years later.!!
                      J. L. P
                      Please keep all of us along the Texas coast in your prayers as we prepare for "Ike."

                      E. Malina

                      Checked by AVG.

                    • Michael & Judy Rice
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 10, 2008
                        I think I was probably 10 or 11 when Carla came to visit the Houston area.  I remember that my grandparents came and stayed with us so that we were all in the same house and we had a pretty wet and windy few days.  Don't remember much else though.

                        ~Judy Rice

[...]

                      • MADELYN DUSEK
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 10, 2008
                          I do remember Carla.  We four kids were home from school near Mason Park - East end  - with mom while dad was at work a couple of miles away on Navigation. The storm was blowing down one of our two small trees in the front yard and I recall our neighbor out there trying to prop up that little tree.  He should have left it alone... it was really not worth saving!  I think our dad had a hard time getting home that day because all of the area underpasses were flooded... particularly the ones on 75th street and on Forest Hill.  I don't, however, remember the storm being that bad and we didn't lose electricity.  I was about ten at the time and was probably pretty much unaffected by the storm. I do, however, remember the torrential rains and the eye passing over us. And... we were not allowed to go outside during the calm.

                          Madelyn

                        • Andikat@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 11, 2008
                            Well, I'm just a little too young to remember Carla.  1961, right?  I do recall growing up that my mother talked about the possibility of naming me Carla.  But, I was born on October 16th (thank goodness!) that year.  LOL.  I did go to school with a girl named Carla and I'm sure that's why.

                            Happily named Andrea (Austin)

                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 11, 2008
                                No, I sure don't remember anything about evacuations.  I do recall my Grandpa in Six Mile and my Grandmother Vlasta Krachala in Houston talking about all the torrential rain and flooding problems, but they all stayed in their homes.  My Great-aunt was in her house when it turned on its foundation in the heavy winds.  I can't imagine how she must have felt.

                                Take all the precautions, and stay safe everyone!

                                Pat M.

                                To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com
                                From: jdtuc@...
                                Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 23:17:21 -0400

                                To: TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com
                                From: jlpatrick@austin. rr.com
                                Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 11:27:59 -0500

                                Message 15 of 15 , Oct 4, 2008
                                  As I am sitting at my computer I realized it has been 3 weeks since Ike
                                  came a calling. Quiet frankly it is now seeping in what Ike did. Our
                                  beautiful Upper Texas Coast will never be the same. Yes, Galveston and
                                  Bolivar will be rebuilt. There are treasured memories that were washed
                                  out to the Gulf. It is a time to grieve with the families who will
                                  never know what happen to their family members, lessons learned, and a
                                  time to reflect on the blessings. It will be a hard fought battle,
                                  but us Texans are a "rare breed". It is in adversity that we shine at
                                  our best. To all of you who sent their prayers and thoughts, a simple
                                  Thank-You would not be enough. This site shows why I am proud to be of
                                  Moravian/Czech descent. We may differ in opinions, step on each other
                                  toes, but when someone is going through a tough time, yall always come
                                  through in letting someone know "times" will get better. May God Bless
                                  each of you and your families. paulasmaggie