Re: [TexasCzechs] Question about last names

  • sissonltd@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 5, 2008
      "ova" is a familiar which designates a woman....such as my grand father was Josef Ancinec yet his daughters, like my mother were born Bozena Ancincova essentially meaning Bozena "is the property of or belongs to" Ancinec(in this case Josef Ancinec).  Likewise grandma born Rose Duskova while her brothers were born Lumir and Edward Dusek.  When mother married of course she became Bessie Sisson, Anglicanized name.  Does this make any sense?  Kathleen

      From: "melissa_eckhoff" <melissa_eckhoff@...>

      I was looking through my family records and I noticed that the females have "ova" on the end
      of their name. For instance, instead of it being Vrana it is Vranova. Can any one tell me if
      they know why?

      Thanks!

    • Melissa Eckhoff
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 5, 2008
        Yes, thanks :)

          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 5, 2008
            So if ova is added to the name, how can you determine the surname?  I noticed that with Duskova that the e was omitted from Dusek.  Instead of Dusekova it is Duskova. (I know you have probably already had this discussion-sorry).

            For instance, my gr- gr- grandmother's last name was Koleckarova.  I do not know who her mother, father, or siblings were.  I was just given Koleckarova.  How do I take a name with ova and take it back to the original name?

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 5, 2008
              Now that is a tough one!  I would think the surname would be Koleckar.  Don't quote me on this.  It is a tricky thing and I wish I could defer to mother on this...yup, the e in Dusek was indeed omitted but not sure why but it would make sense since techinically Dusek itself means "little Dus" or little spirit...."ek" on the end of a word denotes "little" or small.  That is a whole other discussion.  I wish I had all the answers but sadly I don't....

              From: Melissa Eckhoff <melissa_eckhoff@...>

              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 5, 2008
                Here are some groundrules for female Czech surnames based on the form of the male surname..

                lMale Surnames
                –Nouns Beran, Horak, Kolař
                –Adjectives Černý, Novotný, Hrubý
                –“a” and “o” endings  Blaha, Janečka, Kučera
                –¨ek¨ endings   Dušek, Marek, Mašek

                lFemale Surnames based upon above male surnames
                –Add “ovᔠ Beranová, Horaková, Kolařová
                –Drop “y” add “á”  Černá, Novotná, Hrubá
                –Drop “a/o” add “ovᔠ Blahová, Janečková, Kučerová
                –Drop “e” add “ovᔠ Dušková, Marková, Mašková

                Joe

                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 5, 2008
                  Very good and proper ground rules and I thank you from the bottom of my heart!  I am going to copy and paste this into my notes if that is OK.  Now I don't feel so ignorant.  Bless you!  Kathleen

                  From: "Joe Janecka" <joejanecka@...>

                  Here are some groundrules for female Czech surnames based on the form of the male surname..

                  lMale Surnames
                  Nouns Beran, Horak, Kola�
                  Adjectives �ern�, Novotn�, Hrub�
                  �a� and �o� endings  Blaha, Janeka, Ku�era
                  �ek� endings   Du�ek, Marek, Ma�ek

                  lFemale Surnames based upon above male surnames
                  Add �ov  Beranov, Horakov, Kolaov
                  Drop �y� add �  �ern�, Novotn�, Hrub�
                  Drop �a/o� add �ov  Blahov, Janekov, Kuerov
                  Drop �e� add �ov  Du�kov�, Markov�, Ma�kov�

                  Joe

                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 5, 2008
                    Thanks!

                    From: "Joe Janecka" <joejanecka@att. net>

                    Here are some groundrules for female Czech surnames based on the form of the male surname..

                    lMale Surnames
                    Nouns Beran, Horak, Kolaø
                    Adjectives Èerný, Novotný, Hrubý
                    “a” and “o” endings  Blaha, Janeèka, Kuèera
                    ¨ek¨ endings   Dušek, Marek, Mašek

                    lFemale Surnames based upon above male surnames
                    Add “ová  Beranová, Horaková, Kolaøová
                    Drop “y” add “á  Èerná, Novotná, Hrubá
                    Drop “a/o” add “ová  Blahová, Janeèková, Kuèerová
                    Drop “e” add “ová  Dušková, Marková, Mašková

                    Joe

                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 5, 2008
                      Thanks!

                      Here are some groundrules for female Czech surnames based on the form of the male surname..

                      lMale Surnames
                      Nouns Beran, Horak, Kolař
                      Adjectives Černý, Novotný, Hrubý
                      “a” and “o” endings  Blaha, Janečka, Kučera
                      ¨ek¨ endings   Dušek, Marek, Mašek

                      lFemale Surnames based upon above male surnames
                      Add “ová  Beranová, Horaková, Kolařová
                      Drop “y” add “á  Černá, Novotná, Hrubá
                      Drop “a/o” add “ová  Blahová, Janečková, Kučerová

                      From: "melissa_eckhoff" <melissa_eckhoff@ yahoo.com>

                    • bmit1313@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 6, 2008
                        Thanks Joe:

                        This explains a lot.

                        Buster

                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 6, 2008
                          It makes some strange things though.  You'll notice that the wife/daughter of Janecka and Janecek would be Janeckova in either case.  Paste it if you wish.  It is not original, I got it somewhere on the internet when preparing for my Czech classes.

                          Joe

                          From: "Joe Janecka" <joejanecka@att. net>

                          Here are some groundrules for female Czech surnames based on the form of the male surname..

                          lMale Surnames
                          –Nouns Beran, Horak, Kolaø
                          –Adjectives Èerný, Novotný, Hrubý
                          –“a” and “o” endings  Blaha, Janeèka, Kuèera
                          –¨ek¨ endings   Dušek, Marek, Mašek

                          lFemale Surnames based upon above male surnames
                          –Add “ovᔠ Beranová, Horaková, Kolaøová
                          –Drop “y” add “á”  Èerná, Novotná, Hrubá
                          –Drop “a/o” add “ovᔠ Blahová, Janeèková, Kuèerová

                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 6, 2008
                            Thanks and  yes, I think things could get messy on this!  Another ancestor born Anna Junek was Anna Junkova and one with the surname Vasek was born a Vaskova.  And life goes on!

                            From: "Joe Janecka" <joejanecka@...>