Old tombstones...

  • MommaSpag@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 2008
      I recently heard that the front of tombstones should face west.  Can anyone explain why?
      Thank you!  Frances

    • jpatrick
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3, 2008
        I may be wrong, but the tombstone lady told us the  face would face east as if the person would be facing east to see the rising son and the "return of The Lord."
        JLP
        I recently heard that the front of tombstones should face west.  Can anyone explain why?
        Thank you!  Frances

        Checked by AVG.
      • MistRaven@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3, 2008
          In a message dated 8/3/2008 12:05:50 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, MommaSpag@... writes:
          I recently heard that the front of tombstones should face west.  Can anyone explain why?
          Thank you!  Frances

          The land of the dead was considered to be in the West in many cultures.  Even Tolkien's elves sailed to West when they left Middle Earth.

          Blessings,
          ~Stachia
          ____________________
          Help us to be ever faithful gardeners of the spirit, who know that without darkness nothing comes to birth, and without light nothing flowers.
          May Sarton

        • Sir John
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 3, 2008
            Tombstones of my deceased kin are placed at the west end of the grave and markings facing east on markers that 'stand up'.  Marker for my wife, and myself (future planning <G>) is of the flat marker type and to be read, you must be standing at the west end of the Graves.

            Sir John, Earl of Berkshire

            I may be wrong, but the tombstone lady told us the  face would face east as if the person would be facing east to see the rising son and the "return of The Lord."
            JLP
            I recently heard that the front of tombstones should face west.  Can anyone explain why?
            Thank you!  Frances

            Checked by AVG.
          • Bea Rost
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 3, 2008
              See Google "Burial Facing East".  Bea Rost