Re: [TexasCzechs] Kolache Recipes

  • pfoster
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 26 3:07 PM
      MITINTK.  paulasmaggie
      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Saturday, July 26, 2008 2:52 PM
      Subject: RE: [TexasCzechs] Kolache Recipes

      I have say that I enjoyed all of the below. Also, many of my underpants (shorts) were made from the feed sacks picked out at the feed store when any feed had to be bought. The girls got dresses from them also.

      Ed

      To: TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com
      From: marybethmarrsx@ yahoo.com
      Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 07:20:32 -0700

      You are exactly right about there being no waste in the old days.  We are terrribly wasteful people these days.  I remember when my mother wanted to make clothing for us kids or herself, she would go to the fabric store and buy only what she needed for that garment.  I worked for 5 years in a fabric store and I accumulated more fabric, yarn, etc. than I can probably use in my lifetime.  It makes me feel guilty that she never had the pleasure of buying something "just because".  Her parents were recent immigrants from Bohemia and Denmark and were young parents during the Depression.  They struggled so much during those years just to put food on the table, and she learned to be very thrifty from them.  I guess we often do not appreciate how easy we have it in these days and in this country.  Maybe we would be more thankful if we had to struggle a little. Mind you, I am not volunteering for the struggling part, though!! HA!HA!

      Mary Beth

      From: Mary Beth Marrsx <marybethmarrsx@ yahoo.com>
      To: TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Friday, July 25, 2008, 12:35 PM

      Are pickled pig's feet Czech??  My mom was Czech and hated them, my Dad was Swedish and loved them!!!  I actually tried them a couple times, but well, it's kind of hard to get past the name, you know?